Utility: Play all english and german scenarios with german civ3

goethe

Chieftain
Only for users of german civ3-versions !!

With this tool you can play all english and german scenarios. :)

The only limitation is when you're playing english scenarios the units "tank" and "panzer" will have the same animations.
Tip: backup the folder \civilization iii\art\units\ before starting the tool!

Start the tool in the original civ3-folder (i.e. \civilization iii\)

Attachments

• civ3d2us.zip
    3.9 KB · Views: 1,706
Thanks for your great work which i adapted for my french version of CIV3.
I translated all the units but i'vve got problems with accents... You replaced your ä and ü within the variables. Which characters must i use in place of : à , é, è, ï ??

I would give you the result of my translation if you like.

@frodon46
I'm glad you will adapt my work for your french civ. Feel free to use it.:cool:

You have to know batch files are pure DOS. For that reason you must use ASCII-Code for the special french characters (Windows is ANSI).

Unfortunately I don't know the exact values for è, é etc. in ASCII-Code. :confused:

The important codes are on the second table on your website.

You can insert characters with ASCII-Code in your notepad by using the numeric keys on the right side of your keyboard: Hold the <ALT> key and press the decimal ASCII-Code with a leading <0>.

Example: the character ö is ASCII-Code 94(hex) = 148(dec).

In your Notepad hold <ALT> and press the numeric keys <0><1><4><8> (without the brackets) - et voilà: ö :) (but you can't see it in your notepad cause it is ASCII)

Don't forget the leading 0 otherwise you become ANSI-Code.

Sorry, i first posted a reply and then noticed your answer on characters. So i tried to modify my post, but you surely read my first one before !

I've tried your example, it's as clear as clearwater ("comme de l'eau de roche" en français, aber in deutsh ich weiss nicht) ;)

hello goethe!

good work! this is by far the best solution in this issue, and it works perfect! there were earlier attempts to make such a batch file, but they messed up some of the folders.
i edited my units folder manually some time ago to be able to play gotm. therefore, i don't need your batch file, but i tell you, it would have been a lot easier with your translator.
a special issue for the german translation is the "Panzer" folder. the solutions i could think of:
1. leave the "Panzer" folder as it is and copy/rename "Deutscher Panzer" to "Tank". this way round, in english games regular tanks ("Panzer") will look like the german unique unit panzer ("Deutscher Panzer") and the uu for germany will look like an ordinary tank. with other words: you keep the difference between a regular tank and the german tank, though their graphics will be swapped. btw, a nice opportunity for the german panzer to get on the stage (i can't remember that i've ever seen one in game so far). this is quite easy, but one must like the idea of swapping the graphics.
2. make a new folder called e.g. "units_eng" to keep all the unit folders with their right names. Panzer would be tank, Deutscher Panzer would be panzer. to make use of the new units folder, make a batch file that lets you choose between the two folders.
this is my personal solution. my batch file is called "gameload" and does not only swap the two units folders but all files from the gotm download packs (resources pics, civilopedia, pediaicons etc.).
3. find a better name for Panzer and change the civ3mod, too. In a german game lets call it "Panzerfahrzeug". rename the unit in the editor and in the units folder. now you can copy/rename all files including the tank/panzer thing. a translation batch file should come with the appropriate civ3mod file.
this is the most delicate solution, because it needs a special mod, users could overwrite the original file etc. , so, this is a bit problematic.

all in all, your batch file is a good starting point for other non-english civ players like frodon46 to adapt to "international" games like gotm. :goodjob:

Here is my adapted version of your program for playing english scenarios with french version. Feel free to correct it if you find something wrong, or if my translation from deutsh to french is wrong.
:)
Why don't you create a new thread with a more general title, which allow users from non-english-version of Civ3 to post their own traduction in their language ?
I found your program so interesting and so easyly adaptable that I feel it could touch much more people in this way.

Anyway, thanks again !:goodjob:

Attachments

• civ3fr2us.zip
    3.5 KB · Views: 421
@bluebox
IMO there is no simple solution for the Panzer prob. :(

Your first recommendation is similar to my solution. The only con is that the units "panzer" and "tank" uses the same animations in english scenarios.

Your other recommendations aren't practicable for the common users. Only hardcore users may ever use batchprograms before starting a civgame.

I've just used the French version and it's working well so far, I hope it will always do the trick. Thanks a lot to the people who worked on that, I will really profit from it. :) I'll even put it in my sig, as a sign that it will open a lot of good things for me in Civ.

Hallo Goethe!

VIELEN VIELEN DANK!

Du hast mich gerettet, ich dachte ich kann dieses Warhammer Scenario nie mehr spielen!

Ich hatte die Englische Version, damit gab es nie Probleme, nur ist die jetzt verschollen und ich musste mir die Deutsche kaufen, naja nun ging nichts mehr!

VIELEN DANK!

Hast du ne Ahnung was es sein kann wenn ich bei anderen Scenarios

Fehler habe wie,

Load Error

File not Found

"Art\Units\Infantry\InfantryDefault.flc"

???

Viellicht kannst du mir helfen

Top Bottom