Help, animation palette problems...

A Viking Yeti

Carnal Leviathan
EDIT: For those of you linking from my sig, the download's on a later post. Credit goes to Kryten for enlarging my animation.

I was working on editing the nuclear explosion graphic, 'cause someone asked me to on my last animation post. And after adding all the graphical changes, my white shock wave and flash ended up varying shades of civ-specific blue. Apparently, the white colors in my graphics editor have the same idex (I think that's the right word) numbers as the civ-specific blues in the normal ICBMBomb.pal. I know that I need to do some palette work to fix it, but I'm not sure how. I do have PEdit and FLICster. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. BTW: If anyone fixes it, please tell me how you did; I would like to know for later use, thanks.

PCX file in following post, ICBMBomb.pal allready applied.

Here you go matey. :)

Something seemed to have happened to the smoke when viewed with the Alpha.pal palette, so I simply copied the smoke from the original Civ3 ICBM animation.
As for the 'blue' civ colours, I just used the PaintShop Pro 'colour replacer' tool to also change them to various shades of smoke.

Here is the finished article:-
http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads6/new_ICBMBomb.zip

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

However, I wonder if I can interest you in this little titbit:-
I have taken the liberty of taking you new ICBM explosion and....er....increasing the size a little.
Well....I increased it by quite a lot actually.
In fact, it's as large as I could make it! :D

As you can see, the Civ3 Tactical Nuke explodes within a tile, while the ICBM explosion is 50% bigger and overflows the tile sides slightly.
The new H-Bomb explosion is 50% larger still, and now covers NINE TILES!!! :eek:

Here it is:-
http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads6/H-Bomb.zip

(In fact, it is soooo big that FLICster cannot run it! :lol:
This is not because of the frame size, which is 234x234 pixels, but simply because the shear file size due to the contents.
I have not had time to try in a game, but I think that Civ3 can handle it, even if FLICster can't.
I wonder if you could give it a try. :) )

(Drooling...) Uh... Yeah I'll be more than happy to annihilate my enemies with the biggest bomb in Civ 3 history :D. Thanks for editing it for me, I was going to make it bigger, but MS Paint gets illegal operation when handling 38 meg files :p.

:confused:, it says the file can't be found. And I had my heart set on pounding my foes into nuclear dust :(. If it's over 3 megs, that's probably the problem. You said that FLICster couldn't run it due to file size, I think I've run 3 megs before; so it's probably that.

Ah! CivFanatics upload is down at the moment....I cannot get at ANYTHING just now. It will be back soon.

By the way, the H-Bomb explosion animation is not THAT big: just 510 Kb. :)
(Size isn't everything you know....at least, so I'm told. ;) :lol: )

You guys are "stealing" my ideas ;) I've been working on an explosion with a large flash that breaks the 240x240 limit.

EDIT: In fact I just tested a fullscreen (1024x768) animation frame, so flashes might be coming soon ;)

Really, how would you do that? I thought FLICster's limit was 240x240, are you using a different program? I hope it works, that would be awsome. Then my enemies could go out in style, in stead of begging for mercy, :D. Can't wait to see it.

How would I do that? I've already done it, use FLICster to take a look at the R-7 missile I just made. It's guaranteed not to like it. You see an animation that breaks this limit every time you launch an ICBM or tactical nuke in PTW/Conquests. In fact, you can apparently get animations of virtually unlimited dimensions, with the proper tool, and assuming civ agrees to allocate and handle the proper amounts of memory for them.

EDIT: I guess the other thread cleared that up ;)

Oh wow, never noticed that before. I just recently got PTW, so I hadn't really looked at those files. I thought the flc limit was hard coded into Civ 3, and that was why FLICster limits it. But I guess not, cool.

Wait, WAIT!!! WHAT'S THAT?!?!? IT'S GODZILLA!!! AH, RUN FOR YOUR LIVES!!! (All in funny chinese accent :D)

Sorry that I haven't been able to test the explosion out yet in game.

TO Krazyeenbk: Cool. My missle's are bigger than their whole country, :lol:. BTW: I seem to run into you a lot on these forums, wierd.

EDIT: I just noticed you changed your avatar. Any chance you'll be making that rocket as well, hint hint ;).

Originally posted by A Viking Yeti
TO Krazyeenbk: Cool. My missle's are bigger than their whole country, :lol:. BTW: I seem to run into you a lot on these forums, wierd.

That's because you are making the explosions and I'm making the rockets ;) And because I was dreaming about making huge explosions before I could even complete the first rocket.

Well, from the post above, it seems like you're on to the explosions now. What program do you use to make Civ 3 flc's larger than 240x240? The explosion above is big, but it could always be bigger, :D.

OK now I feel like a total dumbass, cuz I don't know where to put these files. They look AWESOME and I would LOVE to use them. Please help. I plan on using the largest explosion for the ICBM and the second for the tactical nuke.

Put them into your Civ3\Art\units\ICBM\ folder (replace ICBMBomb.flc) and your Civ3\Art\units\Tactical Nuke\ folder (replace TacticalICBMBomb.flc - tactical ICBM - what's that supposed to mean ;) ). Be sure to back up first. Better put them into the Art\units\ folders of your mod, however.

@A Viking Yeti, Gogf: I wrote my own.

Top Bottom