Play as Canada

LoneWolf5050

Warlord
***Update ***

I suspect that because I changed the name of the F-15, the game will crash if you ever select to build the "Avro Arrow" since the F-15 art folder has not been renamed.

I believe the name of the units and folders must match. This was an early attempt at a mod, and I was getting ahead of myself it seems.

Anyway, the names of cities and leaders are cool.

Also, because it was created so early, this mod uses the original rule set, so any changes to the rules in patch 1.16 or later are not reflected here.

-----------------------

Hi all,

Well, that was *easy*. The Civ3 editor is very cool.

If you want to play a Civ3 game as the Canadians, then download the attached zip file, and unzip the .bic file inside into your Scenarios folder. If you Load this scenario and play it, you'll get a standard game of Civ3, but instead of the American civilization, there is a Canadian civilization (Portrait is still Abe Lincoln of course, but he's called Prime Minister Pearson now). What has been changed:

1. Name of civ (Canadians)

2. Name of leader (Pearson)

3. City names

4. Leader names

5. Civ specific unit.

Civilopedia is all the same, of course, and graphics are all the same.

I didn't change any of the civ attributes, so the balance among all the civs is all still exactly the same. I did change the special unit, however. Instead of F-15s, the Canadians get the Avro Arrow. : )

The Arrow has the following attributes:

A/D: 9/4
B/R/F: 2/6/2

The Arrow is the best interceptor in the game (9 instead of 8). It only bombards as well as a standard jet fighter though, but it does have an improved rate of fire: 2 instead of 1.

Check out my civ3data file for the actual stats on all the units in the game (culled from the civilopedia, since the manual was out of date). That file is in this thread:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7359

The canada.zip file should be linked just below. So take off, eh, you hoser, and play some Civ 3! : )

--LW

Attachments

• canada.zip
    15.6 KB · Views: 1,204
Cool, now I can be Canada, thanks dude! :goodjob:

Ill let ya know what I think

We all should wait for the x-pack b4 customizing massively.
Every time u'll want to create a civ u'll have to erase another one.
Moreover it's still Abe Lincoln(since u erased the Americans i think)
When the x pack is out we'll be able to create the rulers as it was promised(at least i hope)

Canada.... WOOHOO!! :goodjob:

Originally posted by Damien
We all should wait for the x-pack b4 customizing massively.
Every time u'll want to create a civ u'll have to erase another one.
Moreover it's still Abe Lincoln(since u erased the Americans i think)
When the x pack is out we'll be able to create the rulers as it was promised(at least i hope)

It's one file. You save it as a scenario. If you want to play as Canada, load the scenario, pick Canada as your nation, and you're done. The only draw back is you'll never face the Americans (since they were turned into Canadians for this scenario only). Frankly, anyone who wants to play Canada is probably perfectly happy with that.

If you don't want to play, no harm, no loss, no fuss, no muss, no bother. The Americans haven't been removed from *the game*, just removed from the scenario contained in the file I uploaded. To play a regular game of Civ 3, select New Game from the opening screen. It's *that* easy.

--LW

Why?

just kidding.. Thanx for the mod. I am looking forward to doing a bit of creating this time around. The editor is quite simple to use, and clean.

I know a lot of people are complaining about lack of scripting language, but at least with a simple editor, modding and scenario making becomes more accesible to the layman.

Hmm, seems like some Canadians might've wanted to kick some American ass!

Seriously tho, do you have to make a scenario if you want to make a custom civ? Does this fix the map, or can you still randomize the map?

LoneWolf,

Canada are you kidding me. :eek:

Good Lord.

All Kidding aside, I am glad it seems pretty easy to use. I havent tried yet. I would like to design my own maps sometime and its nice to hear its up and running. :)

Thanks for the file.

Originally posted by RastaMon
Hmm, seems like some Canadians might've wanted to kick some American ass!

Seriously tho, do you have to make a scenario if you want to make a custom civ? Does this fix the map, or can you still randomize the map?

Right now, as far as I can tell, if you want to make a custom civ, you have to make a scenario in which you replace an existing civ in the game with your custom one. Then load the scenario from the main Civ3 screen, and away you go.

This is kind of surprising, since if you wanted a custom civ in the earlier games, you could just enter a new name when starting your game.

I took care not to modify the civ characteristics and preferences, so the game balance would still be the same. Just the name and city names, etc, are changed.

When you make the scenario file, go to the Tools menu (I think it's that one) and uncheck "use default rules". Make sure "No Map" is still checked, since you're making a scenario that has rules changes only. If you uncheck "No Map" then the scenario file will include the map that is in the editor window at the time, and that's now what you want.

Next, just edit the rules in the edit menu. It's pretty straightforward. The help file is very good. You can even get help on most of the controls in the dialog boxes. Start by looking up "How" in the index, and there's some helpful starting topics. I'm surprised they didn't include a contents with help file. I used to make help files for a living, and it's dead easy to add a contents. The details they included though, especially the dialog box help, is very good.

--LW

Maybe once they build more scenario creation tools into the editor, I'll update this so in the modern era, the Canadians have to deal with a rebel faction called the Bloc Quebecois. ; )

If you keep them in Canada you get a big culture bonus, but it costs you major coin each turn. LOL

--LW

long live the québécois civilisation..... or the quebecquer civilisation.... ? :crazyeyes Ahhh anyway with his great leader
Rene Levesque .... and his special unit the ........... :eek: what spécial unit :( ???? does anyone have a idéa .... humm the wood runner or Le coureur des bois ......a extremely fast scout.... humm d'ont sure of it

GO LEAFS GO!!!

We got Kaberle. 1 more good defensemen, and some more work on our special teams, and we'll be set for the CUP!

Good job, LoneWolf! :goodjob: I've posted a news about it.

Did you change the graphics for the civ-specific unit?

I think I'll do a Québec Civ (once I get the game ;) )

For the special unit... Hockey player:lol:

Seriously now... Coureur des bois seems a good idea for me! +1 speed point for scout!

Oooh...Civ3 isnt out in Australia yet but make me an Aussie civ...special unit: SAS infantry(like advanced marines), leader John Howard(bleh)...and well the city names are on an atlas heh

the money is in the mail lol

plz make one it'd be coo

Top Bottom