GOTM 27 Final Spoiler - Full World Map, Industrial Age

ainwood

Consultant.
Administrator
This is the final spoiler for GOTM 27.

To qualify to read / participate in this spoiler, you must have the majority of full world map (a few unseen ocean tiles does not disqualify you!), but you MUST:

1. Have entered the Industrial age.
  2. Have communications with all remaining civs in the game.

PREDATOR PTW1.27

Link to second spoiler

Exploration, Middle Ages

430 AD --- Gained contact with the Far East. Both my two galleys survived a leap of faith from the western edge of the map. There was probably a lot of wailing and gnashing of teeth onboard about falling over the edge of the world. Iroquois had been destroyed long ago, but the four others proved to be good trading partners. The position of the sea tiles was very skilfully planned by cracker.

670 AD --- Settled the Barbarian Island after lots of preparations. Used three musketmen, two knights and a settler to clear the area. I had first landed two musketmen, but had to put them back on the boat to heal. Then it was 8-10 turns before I spotted another place to land them and the reinforcements. The hills always seemed occupied by a number of barbarians and camps. The new barbarian samurai units were intimidating, but also seemed a bit confused when they ran around. Did they chase after the volcanos? Their attacks on my musketmen seemed sporadic and didn’t cause a single casualty.

Wrapping up Span-Am War

980 AD --- Hurried Forbidden Palace in Madrid with my one and only leader.

1170 Madrid flipped. I took it back and proceeded to hand build a new FP. It took only about 16 turns after I had joined some workers. It’s remarkable that the marketplace was still intact after the flip – one of the benefits of the lower difficulty level.

1250 AD --- Last Spanish holding taken. The continent is mine.

Research & Launch

I gifted Baylon into the industrial age to find out if they were scientific. Still wasn't sure about Greece, since they were a couple of techs ahead of me at the end of the middle ages.

My middle ages were long; the industrial age swished past between 1020-1455. I switched to democracy after 6 turns of anarchy, researched Steam Power, then Industrialization. I got Universal Suffrage, triggering Golden Age, before any AI had Scientific Method, and so I could hold off building Theory of Evolution until the end of the age. By then I had enough cash to monitor the AI builds scrupulously. During the GA only Atomic Theory and Refining were more than 4 turns, and I think I managed to trade Refining. Got Motorized Transprotation and Computers as free techs.

Before choosing Computers, I gifted Greece into the age. They got Ecology. My prebuild of Seti Program was not optimal, so I had to wait until Hoover Dam was finished to trade Ecology from them. Otherwise they could have switched their Hoover-build to Seti. Since Greece wanted Computers and 1000 gold I decided to postpone trading until I also had Fission. This was necessary to maintain 100% research after the end of the Golden Age.

Prebuilding the Internet was easy with Aldea de Ribannah producing around 100 spt. But I also hand-built some research lab since I was going for Fission before Minaturization. By researching the lower half of the modern age techs first (easy choice with one space component being moved to Robotics) I managed to trade Ecology, Rocketry, Space Flight. And so the ship took off in the late 1600-s.

Looking back, I went out of my way to time the construction of Theory of Evolution to get modern techs and save maybe 3 turns or so. It's almost amusing considering how many turns I wasted in the first two eras. the same goes for the fact that I disbanded troups and joined workers to hurry commercial docks and gain more science from the last few coastal cities that didn't have those improvements, just to try and get Superconductor in 4 turns. Still, I'm fairly satisfied, and it was a fun game.

Oh, I forgot to mention the strategic resource issue. Well, it added some flavour...

Exploration route as of 430 AD is shown below. I didn't send many suicide galleys, not until I was sure that there were no sea tiles. When 2 out of 2 survived I was really surprised. As you can see I was also fairly close with my first one just north of the successful ones, several turns earlier.

Attachments

• minim430ad.jpg
    minim430ad.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 1,017
Just thought I should post this little detail of a defense strategy, with Washington doing his share of the dirty work, blocking up the tiles where Spain is LEAST welcome.

Attachments

• defense2.jpg
    defense2.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 1,006
OPEN PTW

I found this GOTM easy in comparison to #26 (I don't think that I will score that well - Domination at around 1840)

I don't have much to report on the final stages of my campaign.

By the time I found the Greek Island I had no rubber which was going to make my military victory very dificult. I scoured that map and found that there was a deposit on the bottom left of the Greek island.

I took it by force with 30 or so Rambo guys and from there on in it was smooth sailing.

To be honest I found this map a little restricting (Taking ovber the greek island was boring because it took 5 turns to sail over there and plant my tanks on it). The second island was a far way behind technically and once I had a stronghold on their island they were mine for the taking.

Anyways as I said

Domination victory at around 1840 (will prolly place well down in the hundreds this month - bah)

OPEN PTW

After the spanish fiasco of having to hunt that stupid galley down with a settler and having cities flip back to a galley settler, yeah that is some culture to admire. There was a few years of peace.

Then I found out that I didn't have any rubber, oh great. Oda had rubber but they had more troops and such a small island, there was rubber down at the end of the other island in a zulu town. I loaded up all my spare cavalry (about 7 transports full) and took the loooooong journey.

This triggered one heck of a little war with wacky alliances and all that. Arabia and Vikings against the rest of us in the end.

I had built the UN but failed twice to get win. Forged alliances with my partners in war so I would win the next time it came up. Unloaded a large armada of tanks at the viking island, still mainly had cavalry on the Arab island, lets not kid ourselves here the island was mainly arab, I had three or four towns. The arabs must have stolen tech from me cause they where so far behind and all of a suddent they almost had parity.

The war raged on for a bit to long, I just wanted one more turn and well the result was that my stupid population overthrew our glorious democracy on the turn that my alliances was about to end and I was going to go peace out on my enemies. Ohh whooopi! 7t to reclaim controll ... In my anarchy period there was a UN election that I won. So UN victory in anarchy. Unfortunatly not at a very impressive time since I missed three elections, diplomatic victory in 1910.

PREDATOR [civ3mac] Panther 1.29

We entered Industrial Times as tech leader in 880ad; finishing Magellans' in Washington starts our Golden Age.

Research part 1:
We research steam and medicine in 4 turns each. Then we trade for nationalism, printing press, and democracy. Continue research with electricity, industrialization, replaceable parts, corporation. All at 4 turns. Since steel would need 5, we revolt to democracy in 6 turns. :(
In democracy 4 turn research continues. We only get economics, communism, and espionage from trades.

Wars:
In 980 we donate democracy to the Vikings pushing them into anarchy. Same turn we declare war and destroy them completely till 1160.
In 1330 we declare war on Oda and destroy them in 1435.

Invasion of Zulu continent:
Having rep parts revealed that we are without rubber. But the intense fighting on the Zulu continent left 2 rubber sources unclaimed. We put towns on both of them as well as on an ivory source. All were heavily defended with infantry, artillery, and cavalry. We then hurried maximum culture to extend our territory. When the Zulu declare war on us, we capture some of their cities and connect our territory.

Research part 2:
At the dawn of Modern Times our strategy is as follows:
Donate Greece to Modern Times so that we can trade for their free tech; see what they get (probably rocketry). Next turn finish Theory of Evolution to get computers (unless the Greek get it for free) and miniaturization (free research labs by building The Internet with a pre-built Palace).
Continue with 4 turn research until we launch in about 1635.

Industrial Age
[civ3] v1.29f Open

Middle Age
I apparently have a good techs lead, leading Vikings by Physics & Military Tradition and Oda by Magnetism & Theory of Gravity.
Wonder Race : I have hand-built Great Lighthouse, Sistine Chapel, Copernicus, Newton’s, Smith’s and conquered Colossus & Pyramids (in Madrid).
Vikings are my next target with Iron but I have to wait for deals to finish. They also house : Great Lib, Sun Tzu, Magellan’s, Leonardo’s. I am after Magellan’s to go faster on oceans.
On the other continent …
Oracle (Built by Babylon, owned Iroquois)
Great Wall (Zulus)

1210 : End of the GA. I have been crossing across the ocean since I got navigation, not founding much except sea… so I will sail across sea in a systematic way.
1250 : No coal. Coal is on Oda island where are the others guys ? In fact I have coal but no iron so I can not rail anything. Damn it ! Indus in 6 turns with some prebuilding I will get some factories. I need to grab the nearest Iron. The one on the barbs island is tempting but I can not land there and I will suffer major set-back with the number of barbs… so Vikings is a sure target. We are strong vs Oda & Vikings (39 Muskets & 28 Cavs). In this game I built lot of defensive units (very unusual to me) because I needed this units for defence while being attacked from the sea + I need them when landing + I wanted lot of them for MP when conquering towns.
1265 AD : Deal with the Vikings is finished… Plunder him with all his 63 GP is accepts :D. he starts to frighten and :hammer:. I offer Oda Magnetism vs 18 GPT & WM & 62 GP for them to declare war on Vikings…. And that’s it. I have conquered the two towns on my territory razing one for one slave ? I wonder why :smoke: since I have too many of them. And I have ferried across 7 Muskets, 10 Cavs & 3 Elite Knights & 4 Cats. Close to SunTzu town.
Unbelievable. I have spotted two neighbours (long long way from home).
1270 AD: I have 5 pikes. two cat miss and two remove 1 HP from the 2 Vet Pike… I now control Sun Tzu with one more Elite Win … I have 5 more cavs; I will go on attacks on the nearby port that is only defended with 2 pike. So I take it… One more lux. I finally meet Greece and Babylon with embassies, I see that they lack apparently Iron… They do not know GunPowder nearly an Age late… I will attempt again to get a foothold on the barb island. Up to now, I have seen too many barbs not allowing me to land. I may consider bombarding them with some IronClads, once I have Iron on line again. And will prepare some invasion on this new continent once the situation gets better on Vikland.
I narrowly escaped an attack from Galloglass on the small island. I had one musket & one cav defeated. I will bring more muskets there. Next turn, I have JS bach … Ending the wonder race.
1280 AD : Electricity in 6 turns. I exchange TM with Arabs / Greece and Babylon vs mine.
1285 AD : I know can rail since Vikings Capital fell. I switch Galleon pre-built to Ironclads. I will have 3… and start railing and upgrading cats.
1290 AD: Landed 4 muskets on grassland (no spot on hills free, just to see the slaughter :cry:. No one survived)
1300 AD : Goteborg fell last turn and during the victory of Uppsala. I have my first leader. I do not have any wonder to rush (slowly building Universal Suffrage with a Palace pre-built) so it is an army.
1310 AD : I set to Galleon with 1 Musket & 3 Cavs to go after Greece (closer target – lux – no salpeter and no iron = really too tempting). Another will depart next turn.
1325 AD : Second Leader – second Army. I am building to many worker and I am running on deficit… but these workers are built in size 12 cities so that I will be able to grow fast my cities with Hospital.
1340 AD : Replaceable Part is completed, so I can rail faster and Upgrade my muskets… I can not do it. I certainly lack Rubber. So my invasion force to Greece is diverting towards Zulus: an easier target than Oda. I will need more transport and more troops to completely wipe them.
1345 AD : Vikings are dead but Oda have a foothold on Vikland. I declare war hastily on Oda :smoke: because I wanted to get rid of Oda before the other civs meeting them (rep hit ?). I have also 2 more transports heading towards Zulus. After taking Oda town on Vikland. I play defensive because I lack infantries while waiting to invade Zulus.
1375 AD : Sanitation is due next turn and I will switch most of my pre-built to Hospital so that I can grow. I will also join my 48 workers. I have 152 units and I am only allowed 95 so it is 114 GPT of unit maintenance.
I declare war to Zulus to claim Rubber. I have 6 Muskets & 9 Cavs & 1 MI. I will face pikes & knights while constantly pulling reinforcements from my 43 Muskets & 34 Cavs using 10 Galleons & 2 Ironclads. Clads are defensive to kill Oda transports and I have kept some transports there also to ferry troops if needed.
1380 AD : Holbane fells. I keep building 3 workers and rushing a lib. Luckily I have still Harbor & rax.
1435 AD : I have brought more reinforcements … long and annoying journeys. I have 19 Cavs and 12 Rifles.
My search path was Nationalism :smoke: and then Sci Method (TOE gives me Atomic Theory & Electronics) and then towards Motorized Transports.
Ulundi (1435) gave me Rubber and the upgrade towards Inf & Artillery and then one town per year.
1460 AD : I am finally launching my attack on Oda with Infanteries. Clads finally managed to disconnect the Iron close to Azuchi and I landed a significant force on hills with some Galleons. Azuchi fells with the help of Art & Infanteries in defense. It is a second war to support but I can if I am playing defensive while putting more units there.
1480 AD : My war with the Zulu is finished with a leader. I deal with Babylon : Printing Press & WM & 73 GP vs Incense & Wool & Gems. I rush an Harbor. I could have rushed a Palace to develop the second island but this could exploit the FP bug so I did not do this.… Nothing much to go after since I have a pre-built for next wonder.
1485 AD : I have ferried some slaves to rail everything. Declare war on Iroquois with only 4 towns. It is going to be easy. I declare war because I have a huge army I could make good use of and I am thinking that techs price decrease my the number of remaining civs. Totally unsure however.
1490 AD : More forces means I can grab a port from Oda. Suzuka is mine. Like the other city, it goes on starvation, producing only worker (slaves).
1495 AD : Iroquois are dead in 2 turns… Poor guys fighting with spear & arch.
1505 AD : I see Babylonian forces moving across Greece Territory and after me apparently …
1515 AD : They declare WAR after I ask them to remove their forces. They are breaking the lux deal I had with them. I ally all forces (Greece & Arabs against the Barb)
And I need to finish Oda faster as I see Rifles coming in my direction now. I will rush some culture there to avoid flips… A just conquered city Ogaki flips back to Oda. Luckily. I had moved some Inf on surrounding mountains & hills, just to avoid Oda to take the same position to attack me… So I get the town back.
I will go after UN because I want to finish the game. It is taking too much time. At this time Valencia is producing 100 SPT (one Inf per turn !) so I can sustain any war effort.
1535 AD : Three Babylonians cities fells to Americans.
1540 AD : One more Oda town using landed forces on toundra.
1550 AD : 2 Oda towns and a leader when conquering on of the Babylonian city. I will save it so that it can rush UN so that I will not bother with Palace pre-build. Much simplier.
1555 AD : One more Oda town
1560 AD : Oda are finished… Babylon are still 2nd but losing two more towns.
1565 AD : I can land on barb island. I was waiting since ages on this … Radio in 4 turns. Still 132 Tiles to go for Domination so I am still after UN. But I still conquer one more Bab town.
1570 AD : I survived the Barbs attacks with my 7 Vet Infantries at 2/5. Settled and rushed barracks using a disbanded artillery to lower cost. I am destroying a single Archer Army made by Babylonians while conquering 2 towns.
1575 AD : IBT, I lost one of my inf by barbs, the rest is redlined but get 5/5 because of the barracks…
1580 AD : One more Bab town
1585 AD : Fission in 5 turns. 43 Tiles to go… Oe more bab town and a second town on Barb island.
1590 AD : Win – Score 4282 . 5 turns away from a UN win. A good game but made some mistake that I would not have recovered from in higher difficulties.
- Should have take the Monarchy deal in 570 BC. BIG error.
- Should have built a bigger SOD to attack Barcelona directly rather than going towards Toledo (non needed lux city)
- Should have pillaged first. I was nonsense to try to attack fortified spear in size 10 Madrid with Horsemen & Spear. I lost some units and momentum at this stage.
- Attacking Oda was useless. I should have made them my trading partner to help me out on research.
- Research of Nationalism was useless, total :smoke:

Difficult research on the other continent. I add tried one suicide galley and after I went towards a methodic scanning of the sea. With all my luck, it was long to found out. Map @ 1250...

[ptw] 1.27 Open Class

This map caused me some major problems. After taking out the English in the early MAs and the Spanish in the late MAs I thought I had it set for a spacerace victory. Wrong.

There was no rubber anywhere on my continent. The Oda had one source, but there were multiple in the war-torn southern part of the other continent. I loaded up around 11 galleons with vet and elite cavalry(left over from Spanish/American war) and sailed on over to Zululand. After a whole lot of casualties(I lost like 90% of my invasion force, darn riflemen) I finally took peace with the Zulu for a few cities. The zulu were now reduced to half size, and I had multiple supplies of rubber.

I sat back for the next 20 turns or so and researched towards Motorized transportation.

I ended up massing tanks and transports and sending them towards the greeks. With about 20 tanks per turn coming in, I soon overwhelmed the infantry defence.

After finishing off Harrumbi and Alexander, I moved towards Scandanavia. This is where I started generating massive amounts of leaders. I got 9 leaders total in the last turn of my game. I wish I had had them earlier. :(

Domination in 1792. :(

1.29f Predator

Not the best of reports from me due to lack of notes/going across the pond tomorrow/need for sleep... but basically -

after entering the medieval age I made a big mistake and shut down research, depending on the G Library. I later decided to go for space, so this slowed me down a few turns.

Military:- I beat up the spanish and then vikings between the discovery of Chivalry and the Industrial Age. I then took a few Babylonian cities and fought a few minor wars on the Southern Continent. In all I generated 4 leaders - were used for Army, New Palace on South Cont, (Sleaze alert!) Hoovers and final space part. Left Oda alone

Science - after Education, went all out Science - mainly 4 turn. Got 1 IA tech from Oda. Forgot to dope Greeks into MA.

Stayed in Republic the whole game. Launched in 1500. Scored about 5000 points.

My game was fairly slow because I took the decision to move my settler to found my first city inland. Now I think I should have founded it on the spot, and moved the palace later.
So Washington only appeared in 3800BC, and in 100BC, I only had 5 cities and was a bit stuck...

So I decided I had to fight or die. I was lucky to find the iron source south before the english, and quickly built a city to have it inside my borders.
In 190BC I had built up enough forces to attack the Spanish, who were growing too big on the island, blocking my growth and that of the English.

By 50BC, I had managed to take Barcelona, secure their only iron source, make the Spanish very angry, and run out of troops. I quickly settled a peace deal with the Spanish, and started rebuilding forces to take the English cities, in an effort to build up against the Spanish.

In 390AD the last English city fell. Out of this war, Washington rose as a hero, and became general of the first American army. I built the heroic epic.
In 480AD I go back to war against the Spanish, aiming for the conquest of the contient.

It took me a long time, and much army building to finally get rid of the Spanish, who were occupying MY continent. I can finally rest and start building my cities.

It took em a lot of effort and 2 wars to get it, but I managed to extend to 2 continents. Now my might is unequaled, and I can comfortably lead the tech race. Until I realize there is no rubber on my large territory... It seems the japanese have some ...

In 1932 the Oda (japanese) cease to be. I'm very powerful, but just can't find a way to end this game quick... I try the spaceship, and get elected secretary-general in 1967, just before completing the space ship.

Pretty slow going.
I got 8 Great Leaders, thanks to my early Heroic Epic, the faithful friend of the conqueror.
Tom Cruise invented the Internet.

Hope to be faster next time...

PS How do you attach pictures?

1.27f
Predator

Ancient Age

Middle Ages

As described in my earlier posts, I hit the Industrial age in 720AD. By now, I was set on a Space victory, and just wanted some peaceful building and a fast tech pace. I had our starting continent, and all of Scandanavia, having destroyed my early neighbors. I also took the little 4-tile island from the Oda.

First Contact
I had finally made contact in 410AD, with Navigation, after losing at least 8 galleys/caravels within sight of a green border to the west. They were backwards in tech, still had all five civs (Greek, Iroquois, Zulu, Arab, Babylon), and hadn’t yet met the Oda. I traded Feudalism around for maps and a couple luxuries. They were moving along the top path, as far as Astronomy, but did not have Engineering, while the Oda were on the bottom path. Unfortunately, I was ahead of them, and only picked u a couple optional techs. I was beaten by 1 to banking by Greece. When I hit the Industrial, I gifted Greece and Babylon into the new age, only to find that Babylon wasn’t scientific! Oh well, Greece got Steam. :D
Getting Greece into the Industrial Era: Physics for 400g, Magnetism and ToG for free.
Buying Steam Power from Greece: Mil Trad, Navig., Contact w/Oda, wool, 1200g, 120gpt
Starting on Railroads 4-5 turns early: Priceless! ;)

I started directly on Industrialization, due in 4 turns. Sold some of my other techs around, my gpt income from other civs was net +300. Newtons’ finished in Kansas City (my FP/Science city) in 760. This just helped maintain 4-turn research throughout the age. Then, out of the blue, the Oda declared war on me in 800. I loaded up my forces, staging from the small island, and sailed over to the Oda home island. All together had 22 cav, a Cav army, 20 muskets, 18 cannon, and 3 elite knights. I was able to buy Nationalism shortly after landing, and upgraded the muskets after rushing a harbor. I hit Replaceable parts half-way through the invasion (930AD) to find that although I had no rubber, it was one tile away from my next target! So I was able to upgrade in time for my final push on the eastern half of his island. I generated Grant, who made another Cav army, and then MacArthur in 980AD, as the war was wrapping up, so I saved him for my post-war administration (Palace Jump):

There was a certain irony in using MacArthur for the palace jump to Japan, and also when I founded my Iron Works city to the west, and the name came up Pittsburg! This was a semi-deliberate use of the Palace Jump/Rank exploit. I wasn’t doing it to try to exploit the game, I just wanted to make this new island productive, and had planned since my FP placement to be able to do a palace jump. I rarely do a palace jump, and haven't really paid much attention in the past until the recent C3C discussions. However, I knew that a palace this far from home would probably cause the Rank bug effect on my home continent corruption, and I wanted to see the effect.
1010AD: Pre-Palace Income from cities: 2398, 1179 Science (60%), -557 corruption, +527gpt.
1020AD: Post-Palace Income from cities: 2478, 1349 Science (60%), -322 corruption, +669gpt.

That’s roughly a drop from 23% overall corruption to 13%, although I know it is skewed by the uncorrupted comerce getting multiplied by buildings, etc. It certainly made the Oda cities productive, and I was able to finish courthouses in a few core cities that might be affected. I'm not sure how much effect it had on my maintaining 4-turn research pretty much the rest of the game. I rarely got to 90-100% science, and had tons of cash, so I probably could have done it anyway, but I know the Oda lands would be worthless without it.

In 1170AD I finished ToE, getting the usual Atomic/Electronics and switching my prebuild in Kansas City to Hoovers, due in 6. I thought about saving it and getting Modern techs with it, but I guess old habits die hard. Most cities were finishing Stock Exchanges, hospitals, etc, and I do have to say, Commercial Docks Rock! Especially with as many coastal cities as I had. I was still building units in cities with nothing else to build, I was well below my support threshhold. I sent two carriers with bombers to clear a landing spot on the Barb Island, and in 1300AD landed a stack of Tanks/Mech Infantry and armies to clear it. Love lethal bombardment. But when I was about half-way through clearing it, an Iroquois settler landed!! I had to use mech infantry to block him from wherever he seemed to want to settle for a couple turns until my own settler arrived, but I suceeded, and built two cities. I was convinced, especially after the Rubber episode, that there would be some resource on this island I needed!

In 1290AD I had completed Radio, and hit the Modern Era. Time to bring Christmas to our scientific friends, and see what they get for me! It takes a lot, as they are still in the Refining era, but I give the Greeks all the requireds, and they get Computers! Good, I wanted that. I then gift Babylon into the new age, and realize that if they weren’t scientific in the Industrial age, they probably aren’t now :wallbash: Doh! I have come to realize my decision-making after about 3:00AM is, um, sub-optimal. Anway, I follow that with another lapse in judgement. I am so excited to get Computers, that I trade Greece 9,000 gold and 1,000gpt. Previous experience has shown me that handing the AI large sums of cash is like giving a can of gasoline to a pyromaniac, and I should have waited until I researched something and then traded back. Instead I pushed on to Miniturization, then Ecology, selling it to Greece for 10,000 gold back, but the damage was done. They had a few ships off the coast of Oda, probably rushed and set sail the turn I gave them the money, and they declared war in 1340AD. I easily destroyed their cav with Mech Infantry, and allied Babylon and Iroquois against them. By now I had 35,000+ gold, and was running out of things to build/rush, so I started assembling my invasion force, more for revenge than any tangible benefit. I completed the Internet in 1340 and SETI in 1350 from pre-builds, and was able to maintain the 4-turn pace. I also got Patton from counter-attacking an Oda landing, and saved him to rush the UN (Another irony, given what a diplomat Patton was!) in 1375. My forces finally arrived at Greece in 1395, landing with a Tank army, 2 cav armies, 4 elite MI and an elite tank, backed by a couple carriers and a stack of artillery:
D-Day, 1395AD

Another force with a tank army and infantry army was off their east coast. The war lasted 40 years, as I hit Synthetic in 1415 and upgraded tanks to MA, and rushed an airport in Thermopylea to fly in more armor. I also used a settler in the east for a second airport. They were finally destroyed in 1435AD. Meanwhile, I was completing spacecraft parts, and the countdown ended with a launch in 1515AD, Firaxis score of 6352. This game took me a little over 45 hours, about normal for a GOTM, but I was done in 6 days, NOT normal! I had a 5-day holiday weekend from work, and the snowstorm kept us home for most of those days, so I played a LOT of Civ, meaning some of my judgement was not as coherent as I would have liked :crazyeye: , but overall it was a great game, lots of fun and not too stressful. Nice change of pace after the last one!

To post pictures you have to upload the image to a website so it is available via http://. The web site can be an external one or it can be your member area which all GOTM registered member get (although it is small). Then instead of posting in the small box at the bottom of the forums you press the "post reply" button which can be found on the bottom right of the last post on each page.

Once you go to that screen you can see how to do it easily.

I hope that explains it ok.

Back to work, catch.

Very nice answer, thanks!

I tried that, hosting at Geocities (yahoo), but pics don't open....

I'll try something else...

I was really enjoying this game but I could not control Shaka conquering his continent and the distance made it really prohibitive. For those reasons I wanted to get it over with and self researched to UN. I had an error at the end of a Dal_Raida_Small_Kiss.pcx missing but I copied another small kiss file to that name and I was able to see victory screens. I conquered my continent except for 2 small Viking towns and stayed polite with all until right before UN completed when I cancelled all deals with Shaka, allied with Oda against Shaka and brought the Vikings in for combustion. Win in 1826 with a measly 2595 score. Gotta work on conquesting earlier with horses like the big boys in this forum.

Here is my exploration map at 370AD. Notice how I used sea tiles. I had captured the Lighthouse in 90BC.

420AD I learned Navigation and other continent was discovered 450AD. They were lightyear behind in techs. Despite my GA triggered by Copernicus 460AD it wasn't until 720AD when I hit the Industrial Ages. The early wars against Spain and England cost precious time.

During idle time my cities built Muskets/longbows to be upgraded to Infantries and Rambos. 900AD I learned Replaceable Parts and saw rubber sources on Zulus territory. 1000AD ten Galleons landed 20 Rambos and 20 Muskets claiming rubber from Zulus.
1060AD Babs declared war on us. They were the strongest in their continent. I had no offensive units. I started to kill Babs with Infantries. 1110AD I had 75 Infantries and 17 Rambos. It was bloodlust. 1160AD - 67 Infantries and 2 Rambos. In this progress I captured 7 cities and lost 2. I lost those 2 cause I left them undefended :wallbash:
1140AD I learned Amphibious warfare. I had bottom research path untouched. AI had Riflemans in defend. Set most of the cities to Marines.

1275AD I rushed palace in the second continent.
1290AD I had spare Marines to attack Vikings. I took near all their coastal cities in one turn. See the picture:

1305AD I had Viking's island in my control. They managed to take city from barbarian island with berserks. It delayed their destruction on 1320AD.
Tanks has been transported to 2nd continent and Infantries upgraded to Mechs. Quickly destroyed Babs 1310AD, Greece 1345AD and Zulus 1375AD. 4 cities in Oda's island razed.

My original plan was to milk the game till 2050AD. I had near all wonders, many handbuilt including Longevity. I had finished hospitals in home continent with unit disbands etc. ~1400AD I got bored. I decided to conquest victory which was only 5-10 turns away. 1410AD I ran over domination limit. Final Firaxis score 5348.

Originally posted by Bolka
Very nice answer, thanks!

I tried that, hosting at Geocities (yahoo), but pics don't open....

I'll try something else...

Look at the bottom of this page, you will see an upload facility.
...- Forum Rules - Chat Room - Upload File >
You can upload pics provided they have a small size....

PTW1.21f

Very slow beginning. Only 11 towns in 1000BC, and Ancient Age lasted until about 110BC. Industrial Age was reached in 750AD. My beginning game was very similar to Justus II's in the first spoiler thread, but I had 4-5 turn anarchy compared to his 1. Reached near Domination limit in about 1000AD, but decided to go for milked Space Race with 4 turn IA&MT research. This wasn't optimal because I was so late deciding which goal to pursue. Researched Sanitation and hurried hospitals, etc. Space Race victory in 1560AD. Firaxis score 7956. Playtime was about 32h, could be my longest ever. I doubt I could have managed to milk it untill 2050. I replayed with earlier save and got Domination win in 920AD, only 14h playtime. Dunno if milking was worthwile.

Wars:
90BC Spain 1 town
340AD England dead
630AD Vikings dead
790AD Greece dead
910AD Zulu dead
950AD Babylon dead
1050AD Iroquois dead
1170AD Arabs dead
1485AD Oda "dead"

I left this one for Oda:

I left Oda so late so that I could use modern weapons against them. Bombers were very effective! They had a huge army. My army of 50 Cavalries etc. in 550AD were weak compared to them.

Summary of previous events: I fought the English to get a larger share of the continent. Unfortunately the Spanish beat me to it, and I only got 3 of their cities. Went to war with Scandinavia and extinguished them. Built Forbidden Palace on their continent. War with Oda, failed invasion. Spain extremely strong, no coal. I pick the Arabs as my target and send my army south.

I place a city on the Arab's rubber resource and start building tanks - buing a harbour and an airport in the new city. I'm very strong concerning technology and build an army of Bombers and Tanks, while I start conquering the Arabs with my remaining Cavalry.

Tanks arrive through the airport. I do everything to keep Spain, Greece and the Iroquois happy. Arabia is erased. I start rebuilding infrastructure and send my army back to the home continent. Spain is a mighty enemy, has no Tanks nor MechInf, but a huge army(~300 foot soldiers). The moment I get the tech, I upgrade all Tanks to Modern Armor. Bombers are the weapon of choice. I let the Spanish some squares into my territory to bomb them back to stone age, while I take one city after the other.

Suddenly Spain enters a MPP with Greece. I can only make peace, if I don't want to loose my cities on the other continent (my whole army is fighting Spain). I start building the Space Ship and end the game with a Space Ship victory in 1954.

Great map, cracker!

Drazek.

That is the most astounding victory (920 Domination). I wouldn;t of thought it possible to finish that quickly.

Top Bottom