New units: Corsair ships

aaglo

Furioso!

Attachments

• corsair1large.gif
    corsair1large.gif
    6.7 KB · Views: 6,154
First to respond for a change. Nice unit can't wait to use it.

Edit: Now that the first post is scure I can type more. Dang you aaglo your coming out with so many nice units I have no idea what to do with them.;)

Hmm... Looks great, as your units always do, and I would like to use this in a normal game too. Does anyone know any idea what this could be used as? Can it look a bit like an arabic ship?

An arabic privateer maybe. Maybe a privateer with transport ability? I'm going to use the darker version in my mod for sure as a pirate ship of sorts.

aaglo, this is a great unit again. Can't wait, to see your next project. (okay, i guess you wish to finnish thisone first.) :)

Risbinroch, two suggestions:
- Dhow (sp?) "Arabian" (Trade and Pirate Ship)
- Caravell (yes, most caravelles had latin sails.) Use the Civ3 Caravelle as Nao or Nef.

This ship is quite close to the original caravel (original name is caravel latina - or close to that ;) ) - the name comes from the latin sails.
The civ3 caravel is actually caravel redonda, rigged with square sails.

Interesting details:
The ships of columbus:
- Santa Maria was most likely a carrack (the portuguese UU ;) ). Nobody really knows what kind of ship it was. And thats quite funny: it's the most famous ship in the world (after, perhaps, the noah's ark) and nobody even knows what it looked like. There are many drawings and models of Santa Maria, but there's one common thing in each and everyone of them - they all are incorrect. :p
- Niña and Pinta were both originally caravela latinas. But before going to atlantic, Pinta was re-rigged with square sails (to caravela redonda). When Columbus reached the canary isles, Niña was re-rigged to redonda too. The reason for this is, that latin sails are very effective when going against the wind, but Columbus didn't need those qualities. And besides, Square sail rigging made the ships faster.

(info gathered from the book "Ship; Illustrated history" by Björn Landström)

In the light of this, I would suggest to use this as a caravel flavor for some mediterranean/arabian countries.

:thumbsup::thumbsup: I think that version will be perfect for my Ieriendi civ with the dark version as their special privateer fleet. The ships look similiar, but one is official and one is a pirate ship.

I thought I'd wait until all three are finished before commenting, but I couldn't. These are truly great and one of them is going in Master of Myrror. Maybe even two. :)

Thanks to you I will never finish Optimator! :p

You are cranking out these units faster than I can get them in!

Make some crappy units I can ignore so I can catch up, you bastard!...

Seriously though - excellent job as always! :goodjob:

but WWW (Winter's Wonder World) will contain this beauty for sure- just need to think about which civ to give this too as a flavour unit... the fictive native ship is also in and will replace the caravel for all american civs- any ideas what this could be, anyone ??

Top Bottom