Unit pack: Medieval galleys

aaglo

Furioso!
Okay, since when was two units called a pack?

I'd say: "since now".

Two versions of the same ship.
A version with only one sail I call Medieval Small Galley (MedSGalley for short). It has one large latin sail in one mast.
The other version with two sails I call Medieval Large Galley (MedLGalley for short). It has two smaller latin sails in two masts.

Medieval Large Galley

Medieval Small Galley

Here are the civilopedia pics of both galleys

Attachments

• bothgalleys.gif
    bothgalleys.gif
    10.7 KB · Views: 4,976
They are great! At last I have something to upgrade to a Galeass (which is then upgradeable to a frigate).

Good job as usual.

Again I missed the second post...

Forth Post!

@tjedge: :mad::p

They're both great! Of course, I don't like latin sails, but, oh well. It's amazing, that this only took like two days. Aaglo, just astounding!

I think the one sail version is my favorite. It's so graceful.

awesome :) (personally, I like the two sailed version- looks powerful, and cool :))

very very nice...! and so fast you work!

would you mind posting the pov-ray file for these aswell? Just wan't to look at the coding if you don't mind?

actually, tis a little known fact that aaglo dosent do anywork- n0, he is merelly the slave driver for a pack of povray using dwarven slaves ;) (Gnomes and Dwarves famouslly dont get along wth each other ;))

Originally posted by Risbinroch
very very nice...! and so fast you work!

would you mind posting the pov-ray file for these aswell? Just wan't to look at the coding if you don't mind?

Yeah, this was fast due to changing to pov-ray 3.5. I think I've been stupid not changing to it earlier. Most of the animations v.3.5 does in one tenth of the time my old program did.

Okay, pov-files for these galleys:
- All the GalleyXXXX.pov -files are for the one-sailed (small) version.
- All the Galley2XXXX.pov -files are for the two-sailed (large) version.
You can render these and see the result ;) (if you are using pov 3.1, then you may have to change the place of the orthographic -statement in the camera options, in the top part of the file)

Do not render the following files, because there is nothing much to see.
- The colouring.pov is the texture-file for the small galley, and the colouring2.pov is the texture-file for the large galley. It also includes some basic clock (animation) variables (the sin and cos declarations).
- Arrows.pov is used in the attack animation only (yep, it's the arrows flying)
- Splash.pov includes the waves in the run animation and the ripples in the death animation.

If you have some questions, just ask, and I might give you the answers ;)

BTW, make sure you unzip all those files to same location.
And if you want to render those images so, that the picture isn't 'distorted', just delete the up <0,1,0> and right <1,0,0> statements in the camera line :) - or just render the picture as a square (in these units I used 120x120, AA 0.6)

Attachments

• galleys.zip
    30.6 KB · Views: 233
Thanks alot aaglo! I did find your old units that you posted in 2003, took some time to find. But I had problems with the orthographic, guess it's because I use 3.5 and these was made in an earlier version... It also missed a ";" after declerations, guess that was something implemented in 3.5.

Still very early for me to make any units, still doing tutorials... But nice to look at the codes of more advanced stuff.

yeah,
-the version 3.5 wants the orthographic-float in the beginning of camera settings
- the semicolon ";" was also required earlier, but it didn't stop the rendering, it only mentioned about it in the render log, so in the v3.1 it was possible to forget those ;'s.

Oh, these aren't advanced. :lol: You'll be doing similar stuff in no-time :thumbsup:

Explosion.pov is missing :)

Oh. you can delete the #include"Explosion.pov" line in the beginning of the files.

Explosion.pov file isn't needed in any of those files - because they have no explosions included. Sorry about the mistake :)

These ships are awesome! They'd work well not only in between your trireme and your galeass, but also in my LOTR mod (or LOTM, I'm sure). :thumbsup:

While I'm commenting on this, I wonder if it would be too much trouble to add an arrow attack to your generic galeass as well? I know that the cannons are historically accurate, but the arrows would work better in a LOTR mod, or any other fantasy mod for that matter. It would be great if you could, but if not, it doesn't matter.

Top Bottom