T2-JR11 Public Discussion

ravensfire

Member of the Opposition
donsig has requested the following Judicial Review:
I would like a Judicial Review regarding the recently *passed* section J.1.d of the CoS. Specifically, was the ratification poll done in accordance with Section N.1 of the CoS?

Section N.1 of the Code of Standards:
Code:
  1. Polls to amend the Code of Standards shall be posted by 
     the Judiciary upon successful completion of a Judicial 
     Review.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=79406]Link to Poll[/url]
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=78530]Link to Discussion[/url]

Also relevant to this discussion are Sections M.2 and I.1 of the Code of Standards.

Please donsig. :rolleyes: Has anything been done by this court that was legal? Even when things are done illegally, this court claims they are legal. :rolleyes: And you want a JR? :lol:

That's too funny.

Originally posted by donsig
Where is the completed Judicial Review of this proposed legislation?

donsig, it doesn't matter where it is. ravensfire is just going to tell us that he has the power to do what he wants, regardless of the Law. And his little minions will follow him.

Come to think of it, you were part of the Majority Opinion on T2 - JR10. If you can vote to affirmative to eliminate Laws with a stroke of a pen, why would I even care what you think about this issue. You're just as bad as he is.

Moderator Action: Cyc, you have been warned repeatedly about personal attacks. You can either take a 3 day vacation from the demogame, or you can take a 3 day vacation from the forum if you continue posting. You will not ruin this game.

Note that I am not going to debate this with you, and if you try to argue with me other than via PM, you will be banned.

Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

CoS M.2

For your viewing pleasure, here is the relevant section of CoS M.2.

Code:
M. Judicial Review
 2.  Judicial Review of a Proposed Law
  a.  As citizens, the members of the Judiciary should be 
      active during any discussion of a new law.
  b.  Once a final proposal has been made and agreed upon 
      for a proposed Law, the Chief Justice should post in 
      the discussion thread that the Judiciary will review 
      the law and the text of the law to be reviewed. 
  c.  The Judiciary will then meet privately to discuss the 
      law.
  d.  If the proposed law passes review, the Chief Justice 
      shall post the poll for the proposed law in the Poll 
      sub-forum.
    1.  A majority of Justices must agree that the proposed 
        law does not conflict with any existing law or 
        constitutional article for it to pass review
  e.  If the proposed law does not pass review, the Chief 
      Justice shall post in the discussion thread the 
      reasons for the rejection.
    1.  Should a poll already be posted for this proposal, 
        the poll is deemed void.

Nowhere in this standard does it require a public record of the results of the Judicial Review, other than in the form of the Chief Justice posting the ratification poll.

Given that a ratification poll was posted, it is evident that a Judicial Review must have been conducted, and the proposed law passed review.

The only plausible conclusion to be drawn is that CJ Ravensfire and AJ Peri must have met and agreed that the law was OK, and AJ donsig missed out somehow on that review.

Unless Peri steps forward to say that no review was held, there is no basis in law to do anything other than assume this law was reviewed.

Although no provision is made in the standard, the principle of free speech permits donsig to state his disagreement with the review, if he so chooses.

Even if Peri agrees that no review was held, this would not invalidate the poll. The review has to "not pass", that is "fail", in order for the poll to be invalidated. The standard explicitly plans for polls which have already been conducted being retroactively invalidated, but does not put a timeframe on when the review must be conducted.

Just to confirm. I did participate in a JR for this proposal and could not find any conflict with existing laws.

Was a judicial review on the proposed legislation completed?

Is there not a section of the laws that forbids sitting judiciary members from posting conclusions here?

I did not post a conclusion but answered a question.
Only the CJ can answer the first question.

I will answer that with both a statement and a question.

First, it was not posted. For the record, it was a 2-1 decision.

Second, is there a requirment to post the results of the Judicial Review of a Proposed law, other than the JR posting the official poll? (Section M.2 of the CoS)

-- Ravensfire, Chief Justice of Fanatica

This Public Discussion is closed.
The Term 2 Court is charged with producing a ruling as soon as possible.

Originally posted by Peri
This Public Discussion is closed.
The Term 2 Court is charged with producing a ruling as soon as possible.

We have a bit of a problem here people. If this JR is truly the the responsibility of the term two judiciary then only the term two CJ can call discussion complete. If this JR is the responsibility of the term three judiciary then I respectfully request that the sitting CJ not be so darn fast in closing the discussion for I have a thing or two to say in these JRs. I was unable to post here as a sitting justice but now that I'm no longer a justice (and the silly gag riule no longer applies to me) I would like to add to this discussion.

This Public Discussion is now closed.

-- Ravensfire, Chief Justice of Fanata (Term 2)

Originally posted by ravensfire
This Public Discussion is now closed.

-- Ravensfire, Chief Justice of Fanata (Term 2)

I respectfully submit that this is also premature. I have requested a Judicial Review to ascertain who should be completing these Judicial reviews. Until such time as that JR is complete these JRs should be left open.

Agreed - discussion closed.

Top Bottom