Master of Magic MOD

Taranthor

Chieftain
Hi All. :)

I started making a master of magic mod last night and currently working on it heavily :)

All spells/creatures/building/races will be directly from master of magic. (Due to some spell conflicts I have removed 1 spell for each group of spells (1 common, uncommon, rare from each spell class)

I have finally completed the life magic tree and just want some feedback or ideas if possible :)

Basic life magic
- Holy Armor
Improvement : 20% extra defense in city
- Star Fires
Unit : Star fires (Missile Unit)
- Just Cause
Small Wonder : Increased chance of leader appearing
- Endurance
Tech Effect : Workers complete tasks twice as fast
- True Light
Improvement : Reduce Corruption, Resist propaganda
- Holy Weapon
Not sure of bonus yet.
- Guardian Spirit
Unit : Guardian Spirit
- Healing
Tech Effect : Disable Disease from swamps (changing jungle)
- Heroism
Improvement : Veteran units (ground/air/sea)

Advanced Life Magic
- True Sight
Not sure of bonus yet.
- Unicorns
Unit : Unicorn
- Plane Shift
Improvement : Air trade
- Raise Dead
Not sure of bonus yet.
- Resurrection
Not sure of bonus yet
- Planar Travel
Small Wonder : Plane Shift Improvement in every city
- Dispel Evil
Unit : Dispel Evil (Missile Unit)
- Heavenly light
Small Wonder : True Light in every city
- Prayer
Not sure of bonus yet.

Expert Life Magic
- Lionheart
Tech Effect : Conscription
- Altar of Battle
Small Wonder : Heroism in every city
- Incarnation
Unit : Incarnation
- Angel
Unit : Angel
- Stream of Life
Tech Effect : Irrigate Without Fresh Water
Small Wonder : +2 pop per city growth
- Righteousness
Small Wonder : True Light in every city
- Mass Healing
Small Wonder : Heal in enemy territory
- Prosperity
Tech Effect : Wealth production doubled
Small Wonder : +1 trade per square already producing one
+50% tax
- Holy Word
Small Wonder : Missile success reduced by 75%

Well there it is for now. Feedback very welcome :)

I wonder if you noticed that a Master of Magic mod was released few days go (it's called Master of Myrror).

I did actually notice that. But the master of myrror one is not designed to work like Master of Magic.

The one I am making i going to try and stay as true to the original as possible.

Well, all I can say is good luck and god speed! :)

A Master of Magic mod that stays true to the original is an ambitious project indeed. I discarded that approach right from the start and went on to make a mod of my own with Master of Magic as the primary source of inspiration. The gameplay of these two games (MoM&Civ3) is so different that it was the only logical choice for me. I felt like if I couldn't do justice to Master of Magic with the tools available to me, I would rather do something different.

But I'll naturally be looking at this project with interest.

One question: I assume life mages can only research life spells, but will they be arranged into a chain a'la "Holy Armor - Star Fires - Just Cause - Endurance..."? If so, isn't it a problem that the player will never have a choice of what to research? And will for example Merlin be life + nature and be able to research some of the spells from both branches?

I will be making it just like the original MOM how that you can research whatever spell you like at any time pretty much, it will just take you AGES to do it.

And yes, merlin will be able to research basic and advanced life magic. As well as basic and advanced nature magic.
But he will not have access to expert of either of those.

The expert levels of magic are going to be very powerful to make up for that fact that the dual magic races have a larger range of spells.

And there will be no wonders in this game except for one.
Spell of Mastery.

Everything else will be small wonders, to signify that in MOM you could have more than one person with a global enchantment running.

So one person building a life wonder, won't stop all other life classes doing it.

Ok. It will probably be difficult to balance the tech costs, but it does sound like an interesting approach.

That's a bit problematic about small wonders IMO. You can't sell small wonders so giving them a maintenance cost is a problem. On the other hand, huge amount of small wonders without maintenance cost means simply that all players will build all available small wonders and have exactly the same bonuses...

Not every race has access to all the small wonders though.

i.e. For the Altar of battle listed above.

Only Ariel will be able to build it because she is the only one who has access to the third group of life magic spells

Yaay first preview :)

First age for life magic only user.
The first row of 4 spells are the ones you can research at first
Each of those 4 spells open another 1 or 2 spells to research.

There will eventually be an arcane spell section on the top with arcane spells to keep people busy :) And one tech per age which will advance you to the next one. So you don't even have to research any spells if you don't want to and just go straight to the age of mastery and research the spell of mastery & win :)

Sss'ra(Draconian. (life/chaos)) research options when first starting.

An idea for the magic nodes that uses C3C's new AI capabilities:

Make a "node" terrain, and have the resources graphically do the work of making the terrain look, (ie, death node resource would have pruple "stars" and be swampy looking), and impassible to wheeled units.

Then make many "magic" buildings, that have airport capabilites.

Make the airport look like white stars, (to mix with the pruple stars, for example)

Make gaurdian spirtis the "captured" unit, and the only non-wheeled worker type-unit, or perhaps just make the spirit have only the "build airfield" command....

edit: nm, then all cities would have "teleport" capabilities too early.

Sharee Leaderhead.

(This is my first attempt so it may look really bad. LOL)

Any suggestions for how I can improve the modelling would be very appreciated!
(Image removed because it sucked. heh)

I'll be straight with you and say that it looks horrible. You've done a very good job with a program that is obviously not meant for designing realistic human characters, but the result is nevertheless completely unsuitable for a leaderhead.

There are a bunch of free head models and skins around the net.

I find this website can be a good start for a search.

http://bakhter.com/index.html

I assume you are not using Poser?

I can e-mail you the head models I have. They work ok for still leaderheads.

I'm using blender. It's kind fun, a bit difficult, but I'm not exacty great at modeling considering this is like the first thing I have ever attempted..

I wasn't really planning to actually use it.. but it's a start.. I'll probably see if anyone else can help with the leaderheads as I suck at them :p

Taranthor said:
I'm using blender. It's kind fun, a bit difficult, but I'm not exacty great at modeling considering this is like the first thing I have ever attempted..

I wasn't really planning to actually use it.. but it's a start.. I'll probably see if anyone else can help with the leaderheads as I suck at them :p

Ahh, I am on my lunch break and using blender at this very moment.

Ok guys long time no see I know :)

I have finished working on the research trees and how they work

Each race has different categories for what spells they will get divided into each age, Magic Age, High Magic Age, Grand Magic Age & Age of Mastery.

Example. Barbarian - Tlaloc - Nature & Death.

Tlaloc begins with Basic Nature, Basic Death, Advanced Nature & Advanced Death.
This allow him to research all Nature & Death spells from the Magic Age and High Magic Age. He will only be able to research arcane spells in the Grand Magic Age and a selection of spells in the Age of Mastery. The loss of any color spells in the Grand Magic Age is balanced by the fact that he will gain at least 9 more spells than someone who is purely nature or death, but he will lose the bonus of getting the higher levels spells from each. (Jack of all trades master of none)

Magic spells will be handled in various ways.
Example.
Any damage spells will be a cruise missile type unit. Only useable once.
Summons will be enduring units.
Any global enchantments will be small wonders.
Any city enchantments will be improvements.
Unit enchantments will work somewhat differently.
Each of the Basic units (non summoned) will have an option of one enchantment. i.e Life magic, Swordsmen, can either be trained with holy armor, or with holy weapon. Not with both.

Hadn't noticed this thread before!

With no reflections on Drifts Master of Myrror - Mod (it's very good), I for one would be very interested in another Master of Magic - inspired mod!

Looks interesting, keep at it!

Now, if only someone would finally make a new version of Master of Magic itself.... :sad:

Dragonlord said:
Hadn't noticed this thread before!

With no reflections on Drifts Master of Myrror - Mod (it's very good), I for one would be very interested in another Master of Magic - inspired mod!

Looks interesting, keep at it!

Now, if only someone would finally make a new version of Master of Magic itself.... :sad:

Go to stardock.com... they want 5000 prepaid orders for Master of Magic 2.....

Top Bottom