Combat Calculator

Thunderfall

Administrator
Administrator
There have been lots of talks in the forum about the return of the killer phalanx. Some people complained that their armor got killed when they attack a city guarded by a single pikeman. I have not encountered this kind of bizar outcome in my game. My Persian Immortals can kill units such as spearman and archer in my GOTM game with ease! :)

If you want to know the probability of a unit winning a combat under different circumstances, you can check out the Combat Calculators in this thread. The calculators are created by Valant2, Xerxes314, and FortyJ. Valant2 formulated the formula to calculate combat odds, Xerxes314 incorporated the formula into his combat odd program, and FortyJ takes the program one step further by adding all the units to the program so all you need to do is select the attacker, defender and the appropriate modifiers (such as whether the defender is inside a city).

Original Thread:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7886

An online version of the calculator is at:

http://www.civfanatics.com/civ3combatcalc.html

TF, I can get the online calculator to work, is there a problem with it?

yeah, doesn't work for me either. I can select everything without problems but when I hit the calculate button nothing happens :o
But the design is nice! :goodjob:

For some reason, the java script required to perform the calculations was disabled. I don't know exactly why this happened, but you should be able to download it from here with no problems.

I apologize for the inconvenience.

Attachments

• civcombatcalc.html
    15.9 KB · Views: 1,171
I noticed that the reason for the calculator was to show possible outcomes from a civ battle. Well in a game I recently started I found that Ironclads can defeat Aegis cruisers as well as ICBM's. After looking over the Calc it don't show this match up (Nuke versus a unit). Strange is that I even once nuked a stack of ships to see all of them survive. Oh well.

I believe nukes are considered artillery units for the purposes of the game.

If this is indeed the case then any unit that attacks a nuke should theoretically capture it or destroy it (if the civ doesn't understand the tech).

And yes, as far as the ironclad vs. AEGIS cruiser goes, it's possible to win, but the odds only start to look decent when the cruiser is severely wounded and on defense. Otherwise the captain of the ironclad ought to seriously consider running away.

hmm, when I select horsemen as my attacking unit, the attack value for it remains at 1, rather than the 2 that its supposed to be.

Originally posted by FortyJ
And yes, as far as the ironclad vs. AEGIS cruiser goes, it's possible to win, but the odds only start to look decent when the cruiser is severely wounded and on defense. Otherwise the captain of the ironclad ought to seriously consider running away.

I disagree. The captain of the Ironclad should go on the offensive immediately. Discounting the retreating, when attacking my calculations have a veteran Ironclad having a 10.8% chance of defeating a veteran AEGIS. Throw an elite Ironclad against a regular AEGIS and your chance of winning jumps to 32.1%. If the Ironclad captain runs (defends) and the AEGIS attacks, the Ironclad odds of winning drop by 3.7% and 7.7% in these respective cases.

Running in this case decreases your odds of winning as it puts you on the defensive. Plus the faster AEGIS can always hunt you down.

Originally posted by Apollo
hmm, when I select horsemen as my attacking unit, the attack value for it remains at 1, rather than the 2 that its supposed to be.

*bump*

Anybody else notice this?

Ok, my third and final try. There is a bug in the combat calculator that should be fixed! Read my posts above for details...

Question, I watched a group of 2 Caravel attack my Vet battleship.The fist caravel inflicted one damage and of course my vet battleship sunk it, Then the second attacked , it took 1 damage and sunk my battleship. Can anyone who can get the calculator to work check this. I was fortified in an ocean square.It doesnt really seem like this should be possible, but I have noticed than virtually and unit with full health can defeat any unit missing one.

Originally posted by Apollo
Ok, my third and final try. There is a bug in the combat calculator that should be fixed! Read my posts above for details...

1) Chill, Apollo. :beer: FortyJ was nice enough to create this util for free for the public good.

2) I noticed that bug as well, and apparently he has too, because it is fixed in his combat calculator II. Go to the war academy and look through the threads to find it :goodjob:

3) I think FortyJ's combat calculator II is the best one out there :king:, because it not only calculates win%, but %s for all possible results (damage-wise) of each possible battle, including armies up to 15 hit points.:goodjob: :goodjob:

just a small little bug report, carriers aren't in the combat calculator, so you might want to add them in

but all in all its a wonderful tool!

I've got a question:

The combat calculator doesn't include defending artillery. How does this affect the odds? (Obviously in favor of the defender) Could someone modify the calculator for this option?

Great tool by the way.

I am gonna modity the html for the combat calc to allow your own values for everything so it can be used with modded maps (and PTW).

I will post a link to my version when it is done.

Edit: Thanks for this version TF, I will credit the code to you of course :)

Top Bottom