LK62 - Austria, Demigod, Fast Moving Civ

LKendter

Exterminate, exterminate, exterminate!!!
Supporter
The starting information is as follows:
Small world, no barbs, 40% land pangaea, wet, warm, 5 billion years old.

You will need to download the PediaIcons.txt in the following zip and install in to:
C:\Program Files\Infogrames Interactive\Civilization III\Conquests\Text
http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads6/LK62Pedia.zip

4000 BC
The militaristic and industrious Austrians begin there campaign for world dominance.

2710 BC
Our second warrior returns home after doing a patrol of our borders.

2670 BC
The wheel completes and we see horses. [dance]
The people see great value in these, and will work toward sending our people to explore the world.

2230 BC
Salzburg is formed, and horses will be inside our borders.

2190 BC
Our people are totally confused how Portugal walked there slow people to our borders. We are disappointed that we have nothing to offer them of interest.

2150 BC
Our first chariot completes, and it is time to go exploring.

2070 BC
Another bunch of people walk up to our borders. We have nothing to offer the Romans either at the moment.

2030 BC
The Romans like the idea of Horseback Riding and teach us about the Alphabet and give us a $10 bonus. The Portuguese already know these secrets.

1750 BC
Innsbruck is formed, and wines are within our borders.
We meet the Ottomans, but have nothing to trade. The bad news is they already have math. Well, so much for research on math.

Summary:
I realize that 50 turns is way beyond my normal to start the game. However, with the no warriors leave our border rule I felt I needed this long to make sure the variant was up and running correctly.

We do need a barracks and a source of spearman soon. We are leaving the safety zone for getting away with naked cities.

LKendter
Grimjack (currently playing)
Aggie (on deck)
Meldor
Stapel

Remember 10 turns per round - STRICT 24 hours got it, total 48 to complete.
Don't forget the variant rules:
Speed one units may never leave our cultural borders. This includes any warriors that we build. There is a good reason for no barbs.
Speed one units may never form armies.
We may not build offensive speed one units - swords, mdi, etc.

http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads6/LK62-1750BC.zip

The following tactics are PROHIBITED:

RoP Rape - if you have to ask...

RoP Abuse that includes things such as irrigating all tiles with a city building wonders, denying resources with a RoP, putting a unit to block a land bridge, etc.

Scout resource denial - parking a scout on a resource, as the AI won't ask scouts to leave. The same scenario also applies to workers.

False Peace Treaties (must wait for the 20 years to end).

The negative science exploit - you can run a huge deficit (-250 / turn) of negative cash with a token penalty of one lost worker / cheap building. If cash will go below zero, the research level must be dropped.

Ship chaining exploit - you can move a ship, unload troops to another ship, move that ship, etc. This allows you to ship an indefinite distance, and that is why I consider it an exploit.

Resources disconnect / connect exploit - I consider most resource tactics fine. Delaying to hook a resource, trading it away etc is fine. The exploit is to do this every turn. Build a stack of horses, connect saltpeter, upgrade to cavalry, and disconnect.

Palace Jump - You abandon the capital city to move the palace to a new location. If you want to move the palace, build a new palace.

Standard LK house rules:
1) Worker automation of any kind is prohibited.
2) No worker purchases before 1000BC to avoid civ crippling.
3) Declaring war / demanding leave solely for the purpose of getting out of trade deals.
4) Even if not covered under exploits listed, please try not to use tactics that take advantage of holes in the game design.
5) Our trading reputation is golden - please respect it.
6) Complete your turn. It is frustrating to get a 1/2 completed turn.

I think I have done a fastmoving before, without actually realising so.

Got it.

Also, do save a backup of the file you ar ereplacing. Especially if you play GoTM. I suspect they use the same file.

I would love ot be wrong on this though. I am just guessing.

Heh, it would have been amticlimactic if we wouldn't have had horses nearby. Expansion would be mighty tough :)
( I gather settlers are exempted from the rule of not leaving borders. )

Grimjack

Originally posted by Grimjack
I gather settlers are exempted from the rule of not leaving borders.

Maybe LK was thinking about a nasty demi-god level build and disband strategy? Or building lots of culture first?

It might be a cool thing to try in the future: settlers may not leave borders. Another level perhaps?

1750BC This seems like a nice space for our fine horse to travel through. There are a lot of slow moving vermin out there, but we will see to them in due time.

Also, it seems like our boss wants this steward to try to convince some of our proud people to become mudfoots, in order to impress the other mudfoots out there. They have no appreciation for beauty.

1725 We have a single scout out, and he has been heading north, allowing free reigns to our magnificent horse. He continue to sweep ( soon to be ) our lands to the north. He finds a great beast with huge tusks. He marks the spot clearly on a map, and sends it back by winged messenger.

IBT: A settler completes, and a dilemma arrives. Should I send him north to the riverless wheat, or should we send him boldly forth, following the great river, and see where it leads. Or even possibly, far north to try and secure the spot of the tusked beasts.

1675 The careful advisers win the discussion with a proverb that says: "better a prey in the net than ten in the forest".
We will wait for the good horses to have bred enough stock for us to take a patrol out before venturing into those waters.

1650 Roadnet is complete, and it is time to start roading to our newest city due to be founded.

1600 Graz is founded. Our scout has thus far uncovered lots of plentiful lands in the north.

Get Math from Ottos for 16 gold and 12 gpt,
Get Writing from Portugese for Math and 3 gpt

Notice in some dismay that Rome is already up Map Making.

Get Mysticism and 27 gold from Ottos for Writing
Get Bronze for Math from Rome

They are all up Iron. Rome is up Map, but behind Ceremonial burial.
I gift Rome Ceremonial Burial, but it backfires, as Mysticism and 34 gold wont get Ironworking from him. :(

So, I blew our treasury, because I thought the window would close real soon, and I almost got five techs for it. Still think four is decent though.

Philosophy would be good, but with Writing being out there so long, I doubt we would get it first at a min science setting, so I start a Lit min science run, as I suspect that is the tech most likely to land us a monopoly on a min run.

IBT: :band: :birthday: We complete our first horsemen. Now the earth shall tremble beneath our mighty hooves.

1550 Our scouts have seen that the romans have roaded up a couple of Elephants, and this is somehow fearsome.
Our Beloved Horse is sent out so scout for more good places to send settlers, and to provide an honor-guard.

Hmm, Rome now owns Mysticism. Since I gifted him Ceremonial Burial two turns ago, I suspect he is making threatening noices. None of the other AIs have MapMaking which he could have used to trade with.

1525 Ottomans start building a special temple for all their Oracles.
We spot Portugese borders to our south.

IBT; innsbruck completes its warrior, and I set it on Granary. I would rather have a worker actually, but we need growth as well.

1500 Vienna is about to complete a settler. I suggest you scout with the horseman first, and send him there, as I spotted a cow by that river/coast ?
Romans are looking to be monsters, and with probable access to ancient cavalries, thats not less powerful.

We might be able to secure a source of Ivory for our own use, but I think that would stretch us far.

Here there be horses

We should pick our military city soon - we need both warm bodies (spearman) and attack units.

LKendter
Grimjack
Aggie (currently playing)
Meldor (on deck)
Stapel

Speed one units may never leave our cultural borders. This includes any warriors that we build. There is a good reason for no barbs.

I was thinking of Innsbruck as well as Salzburg. Salzburg is almost finished with its rax. Innsbruck is a bit away fromthe front, but could be good for mudfoots.

Grimjack

Originally posted by LKendter

@LK: Lurker questions
- If speed one units may never leave the cultural borders, then doesn't this include settlers
- If you can't build offensive speed one units, then are warriors not condsidered offensive?

I'd like to give this variant a try on my own, but want to understand what you had intended. Thanks.

IT: The Romans want us out of their territory and...start Zeus :eek:
Vienna: settler->settler.

Turn 1 (1475 BC) Settler goes to the spot as suggested by Grimjack, because it's on a river, near a cow and the ocean.

IT: Portugal starts the Colossus.

Turn 2 (1450 BC) :sleep:

IT: Rome now throws us out but our chariot jumps to the west, crossing the Roman empire.

Turn 3 (1425 BC) Rome learned CoL.Graz is size 2 now and needs 50% lux. I decide to give it a scientist instead and lower science to 0%.

IT: A Portuguese warrior is one tile away for Graz, which needs one turn more for a warrior :eek:

Turn 4 (1400 BC) :sleep:

IT: The Portuguese warrior continues the trip through our empire and leaves Graz alone. Salzburg: barracks->spear. Graz: warrior->worker.
England finishes the Colossus.

Turn 5 (1375 BC) Scientist in Graz fired. Science to 10%. Krems founded, starts warrior.

Turn 6 (1350 BC) Rome and the Ottomans have Philosophy. The Ottomans are in anarchy!!

Turn 7 (1325 BC) :sleep:

Turn 8 (1300 BC) We meet England. They are up Iron Working and Map Making, but deals are impossible. We are broke.
Salzburg is size 4. Lux to 10%.

IT: The English start the Great Wall and the Ottomans start the Mausoleum of Mausollos :eek:

Turn 9 (1275 BC) :sleep:

IT: Vienna: settler->settler, Krems: warrior->worker, Salzburg: spear->horseman.

Turn 10 (1250 BC) England and the Ottomans know at least five techs we don't. All except Literature. The other two civs know less, but we have nothing to offer yet.

I left the settler in Vienna untouched. Crazy tech speed by the way! Osman got Philo and is a Republic already!!

EDIT: Lux can go to 0% if Salzburg keeps the spear.

1250 BC save

LKendter
Grimjack
Aggie
Meldor (currently playing)
Stapel (on deck)

Speed one military units may never leave our cultural borders. This includes any warriors that we build. There is a good reason for no barbs.
Speed one military units may never form armies.
We may not build offensive (attack > defense) speed one units - swords, mdi, etc.

I revised the wording above slightly to help clarify some questions that are coming up.

Meldor is indeed currently playing?

If so, I might wait before going to bed...

I will skip the usual turn report for this one as time is short and the Mongols are taking longer than I thought. You get the executive summary.

Resaearch on Lit continued through science and scientists.
Bought Poly for most of our income and sold it for Philosophy and Code of Laws.
That was working well umtil the next settler was built and then Rome demanded our entire treasury. A lone scientist is working Lit in Innsbruck. You will have to pull a citizen off work in Graz to pay for the next turn, at least until the settler finds his place.

http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads6/LK62-1000BC.zip

LKendter (on deck)
Grimjack
Aggie
Meldor
Stapel (currently playing)

Speed one military units may never leave our cultural borders.
This includes any warriors that we build.
There is a good reason for no barbs.
Speed one military units may never form armies.
We may not build offensive (attack > defense) speed one units - swords, mdi,
etc.

Keeping this from getting lost on page 2.

Top Bottom