GRAPHICS: Less Yellow Modpack v1.0

Thunderfall

Administrator
Administrator
Time to post a modpack of my own... I finished this one last night. :)

****** LESS YELLOW MODPACK v1.0 *******

for Civilization III

Author: Thunderfall (http://www.CivFanatics.com)
Date Created: November 6th, 2001

Description:

This modpack makes the game brighter and more pleasant to the eyes by reducing the amount of yellow color in the game's terrain graphics. There is also greater contrast between terrain and terrain objects such as goodyhuts.

This modpack is a graphics modpack and doesn't change the rules of the game.

Screenshots:

Before: http://www.civfanatics.com/civ3images/modpacks/lessyellow1before.jpg

After: http://www.civfanatics.com/civ3images/modpacks/lessyellow1after.jpg

Installation:

1) Backup the "Terrain" folder inside the "Art" folder.
2) Overwrite the files in the Terrain folder with the modpack files.
3) Done!

Download:

http://www.civfanatics.net/downloads/civ3/modpack/civ3lessyellow.zip (3 MB)

Enjoy the game's new look!

UPDATE: Links fixed

My stupid horse-butt forgot that WinAce extracts to the full path unless you tell it not to. Matter of fact. Why did you archive it in a directory Thuderfall? Just curious. When I make one, I want to do it right and if there is a format that we should adhere to then I want to be squared away.

Why did you archive it in a directory Thuderfall?

I usually just right click on a folder containing the modpack files and select "Add to FolderName.zip". That's how I make zip files. :) To unzip the file I just right click on the zip file and select "Extract to folder E:\FileName". This is the easiest way to unzip stuff. WinRar has similar feature too.

It doesn't make any difference whether you archive it in a directory or not.

Another screenshot showing the map after the patch is applied:

Attachments

• 30ad_forest.jpg
    30ad_forest.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 10,039
Thanks for sharing this mod! I have it installed, and it certainly is more aesthetically pleasing, as well as providing more contrast!
Your time and efforts are sincerely appreciated.

The overall apperance of the game after the mod looks nice! I'm gonna give it a try when I get home today. The best thing is that now grassland actually looks like fertile grassland and not like some rotten grass ;)

If you have downloaded the modpack, please also download the attached zip file. I forgot to change the polar ice cap terrain. The file is only 75 KB.

This file is included in the new version.

Attachments

• polaricecaps-final.zip
    73.1 KB · Views: 886
I can now tell the difference between desert and plains :D :D

I am glad you like the mod. :)

btw, I replaced the screenshot in my previous post with a new screenshot taken in ancient time. That screen shows some forests and the land before irrigation.

Wow, what a difference on those screenshots, I'm getting it now. What gave you the idea to reduce the yellow? Were you aware of eyestrain or anything?

Originally posted by Smirk
Wow, what a difference on those screenshots, I'm getting it now. What gave you the idea to reduce the yellow? Were you aware of eyestrain or anything?

hehe... lots of people were telling Firaxis to reduce the amount of yellow in the game well before the game was released, but they didn't listen. :) The original terrain graphics looked too gloomy with all those yellows. :p

Oh my god Thunderfall you might be god heh I have troubles with my vision and colors and now its so easy to see and my eyes arent burning or watering anymore.:cool: So many mods actually fixing the game, Fraxis might wanna get a bit of a hint there. ;)

Well done Thunderfall. Not only have you managed to make some much needed changes in the eye candy department, you also managed to get everyone in the thread (so far) to say it's a great thing. If that isn't high praise, then I don't know what is. Excellent work. :)

Now it does not look like there is a world-wide DROUGHT!! :)

What was Firaxis thinking putting out colors like that?? :mad:

Hi,

I just wanted to add my support for your mod. This terrain is ever so much better than what shipped. What were they thinking? (Of course, given the oddness of the Alpha Centauri terrain, maybe this was to be expected.)

My thanks to you and to the person who gave us better goodie huts and barb villages and to the person who gave us labels for strategic resources. All of these mods add so much to the usability of the game.

Top Bottom