Info from the rules

Paradoxflux

Chieftain
A lot of info is hidden from you in the game, so I went to the rules to see what I could find out about the actual nuts and bolts of the game.

I'll just list things that I found interesting about the rules, from each rules tab. (some settings I didn't really understand at all)

General Settings:
Minimum population for WLTKD is 6.
Barbarians are set to be only warriors/horsemen/galleys
-unlike civ2 where barbarians advanced in tech
Theoretically you have a 50% chance to intercept enemy air missions, and 5% if they use stealthed units, but I heard that air superiority is broken.

Governments:
In anarchy your workers work slower, but in democracy they work faster.
Communism still has better spies.
When under Communism and Democracy you have a 4% assimilation chance. I assume this means cultural assimilation? Under Monarchy and Republic this is 2% and Despotism and Anarchy its 1%
Only Democracies and Republics suffer from war weariness.
In Anarchy you don't pay maintenance costs.
-I noticed this while playing that in a revolution my income went up! This is why.

Improvements and Wonders
-not much here that's not listed in the civpedia, just seeing the numbers shows things surprising that I overlooked.
Marketplace doesn't give +50% luxury trade, it just toggles something called increase luxury trade.
Banks only give the +50% tax, no luxury bonus
Nuclear plant really is twice the production of the other power plants.
Coal Plants and Offshore platforms produce 2 independent pollution units.
There is no attribute for a city improvement that allows total shield pollution removal, only populous pollution.
The Art of War is really nice, it acts as a barracks in every city, and never becomes obsolete.
JS bach's cathedral makes 2 people happy in every city
Iron works creates 4 polution units, but its as productive as a nuclear power plant.
Forbidden Palace toggles a switch called reduce corruption. I guess that means you could make every small wonder into a forbidden palace, thus removing the corruption penalties that now exist.
The AC spaceship now requires ten parts to launch, four 16 cost parts, four 32 cost parts, and two 64 cost parts. The Apollo small wonder costs 50. I'm not sure what cost means, but for comparison barracks cost 4.

Natural Resources:
No luxury resource will ever appear or dissapear, they are stuck.
Horses and Iron are the most common strategic resource.
then all the others, uranium is the least common strategic resource.
Horses and rubber will never dissapear.
I'm not sure, but I think oil and coal will disseapear much more frequently than iron and saltpeter.
-map makers should take the fact that resources have the ability to appear and dissapear into consideration, and make necessary changes.

Terrain:
All terrain give at least a 10% defense value. Jungle and forest give 25%, hills 50%, mountains 100%, no surprises.

World Sizes:
Each world size has an optimum # of cities for corruption purposes.
Tiny-8 through Huge-32. Custom is 34, I don't know what that means.
Tech rates for different sized worlds are different.

Civilizations:
America is part of the America culture group. Its kind of strange having America as a civ come to think of it, they dont' really fit.
There are a lot of different barbarian town/race names, its pretty cool to see them all.

Culture:
each cultural opinion has a numerical corresponding value, so in awe of is 1:3, and disdainful of is 3:1, you can add new cultural opinion levels if you want, they correspond to cultural, diplomatic and propaganda warfare I guess.

That's it, in the tabs I left out I found nothing of note. I think the mod community might be a little more apreciative towards firaxis, this is a very extensive customization tool.

Originally posted by Paradoxflux
The Apollo small wonder costs 50. I'm not sure what cost means, but for comparison barracks cost 4.

The cost of an improvement, or unit is multiplied by 10...So your example shows barracks at 4, which means the cost 40 shields...And the Apollo program cost 500shields...

Barbarians are set to be only warriors/horsemen/galleys
-unlike civ2 where barbarians advanced in tech

Why do Barbarians not advance in tech? Doesn't that mean that by the modern era you kill them VERY easily? I mean your armour untits should slaughter warriors and horsemen...

It seems more realistic that these "terorists" would come equipped with modern weapns and tactics... thats how it works in real life (and in Civ 2)

I think it might not matter much. By the time you get to the modern era, there isn't much unsettled land that the barbarians can move their camps to.

Oh, barbarians not advancing matters all right. What you do is don't kill their camps. Instead fortify a spearman on the hills next door to their camp. That gives you a chance at a Great Leader every other turn.

Governments:
When under Communism and Democracy you have a 4% assimilation chance. I assume this means cultural assimilation?
It means there is a 4% chance each turn under Democracy and Communism that each of your foreign nationals will "assimilate" into your civilization.
For example, say you are the Democratic Americans and you attack and take over a size 3 Greek city. Right away you will have 3 Greek citizens in that city, although you (Americans) wil actually control it. But you will have a 4% chance each turn of the Greek citizens actually BECOMING Americans, for all game purposes. Until they assimilate, they will be more apt to be unhappy.

World Sizes:
Each world size has an optimum # of cities for corruption purposes.
Tiny-8 through Huge-32. Custom is 34, I don't know what that means.
Tech rates for different sized worlds are different.
That means in a tiny world, as long as you have under 8 cities there will be no corrutpion. Likewise 12 for small, 16 for standard, 24 for large, and 32 for huge. As far as tech rates, I don't think they are any different; on a tiny world, tech advances will SEEM to come much more frequently because game turns are much shorter and there are less civs to deal with.

Hope this helps :D

Originally posted by ApocalypseKurtz
That means in a tiny world, as long as you have under 8 cities there will be no corrutpion. Likewise 12 for small, 16 for standard, 24 for large, and 32 for huge.

Also about this, you can't build the Forbidden Palace until you have half the optimal number of cities. I found this out the hard way when I was playing around with very large optimal city numbers on a huge map. I set it to 100, and didn't get the ability to build the forbidden palace until the game was almost over, when I went on a massive world conquering strategy and broke the 50 city mark.

Originally posted by tetley
Oh, barbarians not advancing matters all right. What you do is don't kill their camps. Instead fortify a spearman on the hills next door to their camp. That gives you a chance at a Great Leader every other turn.

Actually, you can never get a great leader fighting barbarians, though you can safely advance your units to elite and then send them after your favorite enemy.

Thanks for the info listed here,

this is what i found, if you place your workers in your
main city they can be used for trade so if you have tons of workers that are no longer needed or need extra cash this is a way to do it,
my only prob with this i seen is that workers from other
nations dont cost you any extra per round (slaves) or so it seems,
if this is true then i stop to ponder if you still have to pay for them
even after there sold.
if not great, if so then i found that having them join a city
that is high on sciance will help (although starvation will occure if not enough food) but that still beats just deleting them to save cash.

In Anarchy you don't pay maintenance costs.
-I noticed this while playing that in a revolution my income went up! This is why.

I was under the impression that while in Anarchy, you didn't pay any maintinence, but you didn't recieve any income either. :confused:

You will sometimes make money even during anarchy if you are receiving payment per turn from another civ. You can also lose money in anarchy this way.

Originally posted by eyrei
You will sometimes make money even during anarchy if you are receiving payment per turn from another civ. You can also lose money in anarchy this way.

Alright, that make sense. Thank you. :)

Right, never bankrupt yourself by paying out huge amounts for a new tech, say, republic, then have a revolution. They still want their money, and if your treasury is empty, you're screwed.

BTW, tax collecters work fine under anarchy, and so do scientists. If you're researching at the minimum rate anyway, you can even complete a tech (I suspect, I don't know for sure) during your revolution .

Originally posted by eyrei

Actually, you can never get a great leader fighting barbarians, though you can safely advance your units to elite and then send them after your favorite enemy.

Safely is right! I've had situations where one measly little conscript warrior of mine is outnumbered by sometimes up to 10 (maybe more) horsemen all at once (say, a massive barbarian uprising), and he just stands there and kills them one after the other after the other 'til they are all gone. Only on the rarest of occasions, have I had one of my men killed by a barbarian; it always shocks the heck out of me when that DOES happen. Barbarians are fun to fight. *mad laugh*

Originally posted by tetley

You CANNOT get a GL by killing barbarians, however you can achieve elite level of your unit. GL you only can get by winning against other civ.

Originally posted by Ironikinit
Right, never bankrupt yourself by paying out huge amounts for a new tech, say, republic, then have a revolution. They still want their money, and if your treasury is empty, you're screwed.

What do you mean by that ?? I went once bancrupcy while changing the government and I bought some tech before by turn-money. Of course I wasn't able to pay but nothing happened... I couldn't pay for a couple of turns but nobody complained and in that way I saved some money.

Originally posted by Szpoti

You CANNOT get a GL by killing barbarians, however you can achieve elite level of your unit. GL you only can get by winning against other civ.

I thought that was changed in a patch a little while ago. :confused:

Originally posted by Szpoti
Originally posted by Ironikinit
What do you mean by that ?? I went once bancrupcy while changing the government and I bought some tech before by turn-money. Of course I wasn't able to pay but nothing happened... I couldn't pay for a couple of turns but nobody complained and in that way I saved some money.

On Chieftain, a negative balance will have no effect. :cool:

Top Bottom