Switzerland Civ v0.5

sphodros

Chieftain
Here's my first stab at the Swiss Civilization for Conquests.

The ZIP file contains:

*Switzerland.biq scenario file. Put this in your Conquests/Scenarios folder.
*Art and Text folders. Make a "Switzerland" folder in Conquests/Scenarios and put these subfolders in it.

Features:
*The Swiss replace the Americans.
*They are Commercial and Industrious.
*They build Confederacy Pikemen instead of normal Pikemen. They are much more representative than Swiss mercenaries of the way that pikemen were used during the Swiss Confederation's medieval apex. The Confederacy Pikeman has Attack 3 and Defense 4, but costs 40 Shields to build.
*I've used the Swiss flag instead of a graphic and animation of the Swiss leader, Charles-Albert Gobat.

I would especially appreciate it if Swiss natives could take a look at the Civlopedia text for the Civ and the Confederacy Pikeman, as well as the city, general, and scientist names and offer critiques. Thanks!

Here's the link:

http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads6/Switzerland_Civ_v0.5.zip

k, I'll throw a look at it ... :) and I'm "swis native" (how do you come to that word?).

From you text above, everything is alright. the only interesting thing is the choice of the leader. Charles Albert Gobat. Never heard of. I'll look it up. I myself have made a civ (private) and I also had the problem of the leader. Because there never was a leader of Switzerland. We always had several leaders. As we do now have 7 presidents.

Commercial/Industrial is ok. I've chosen scientific/commercial, but this has no influence...

mfG mitsho

EDIT: ok, I got who C.A. Gobat is. Bu I'm not impressed. He was a local politician of the 19th century. ok, as said before, there are no good choices. so it's ok... :)

EDIT2:

civiliopedia:
Evidence of human activity on central Europe's Swiss Plateau—bordered by the Alps and Jura—dates as far back as the Paleolithic Era. Celtic Helvetians pushed into the region in the first century B.C.E., only to be Romanized following a defeat at the hands of Julius Caeser in 58 B.C.E at Bibracte. Rome withdrew from the region around 400 C.E., amid successive migrations of Alemannians, Burgundians, and Langobards. These groups, along with holdout Rhaetian Romans in the east, lay the roots for future Switzerland's "quadrolinguism" in German, French, Italian, and Romansh.
^The region prospered during the Middle Ages under the Carolingians and then the Holy Roman Empire. However, the relative autonomy enjoyed by cities such as Zürich and Berne became threatened when the Hapsburgs sought to assert their authority over the region through corrupt offiicials. The Habsburgs eventually siezed the Imperial Throne, and following the death of Emperor Rudolph in 1273, the cantons of Schwyz, Uri, and Unterwalden formed a perpetual alliance to protect against external systems of administration and justice. This pact is generally regarded as the birth of the Swiss Confederation as a political entity.
^Over the next two centuries, other cantons joined the Confederation, and the Swiss began to exert their political and military might. Through the Confederation, the merchant class expelled foreign overlords such as the Habsburgs and eroded the power of local nobles. {Confederate pikeman} helped the Swiss achieve sweeping victories in the Burgundian Wars of 1476-1477, and again at Dornach in 1499, where the Swiss secured their independence from the Holy Roman Empire.
^Following a defeat at the hands of a French-Venetian alliance in 1515 at Marignano, the Confederation renounced expansionist ambitions and embraced political neutrality. Swiss mercenaries continued to serve in the ranks of foreign armies for centuries, however, until the 18th century.
The Reformation had a strong presence in Switzerland, as Huldrych Zwingli and John Calvin found a receptive audience in the
mechant class of the cities. However, a segment of the population remained staunchly Catholic, creating a sectarian rift that
endures in Switzerland to this day.
^Switzerland weathered the Thiry Years' War and entered the 18th century under the progressively stricter control of an oligarchy of
merchant families. Science and artistry flourished during this period, but the Confederation found itself under foreign rule yet
again when Napoleon's armies entered Switzerland in 1798. Both the French and the centralized constitutional government they
imposed were eventually ousted, but political unrest followed, as factions within the Confederation struggled for power. The
Federal Constitution of 1848 formalized fundamental rights and the doctrine of cantonal sovereignty, but popular support for a
more democratic government resulted in a new Constitution in 1874. Industrialization proceeded at a lightning pace in the century
leading up to the Great War, as the Swiss laid the groundwork for the nation's impressive modern infrastructure. Lawyer-statesman
{Charles-Albert Gobat}, who won the Nobel Prize in 1907 for his tireless advocacy for international peace, epitomized the hopes
of the fledgling democracy.
^Switzerland held onto its fragile neutrality during both World Wars, despite rifts within the Confederation over the political and
humanitarian consequences of its position. In the 20th century, Switzerland reaped wealth and prosperity from its strong financial
sector and its commitment to its citizens' welfare. The nation has emerged as a vital headquarters for international organizations,
including the Red Cross, the World Health Organization, and the World Trade Organization. While the United Nations' European
headquarters is based in Geneva, the Swiss refused to join the organization until 2002, and the nation is not a member of the European
Economic Area. It remains to be seen if Switzerland can maintain both its renowned prosperity and its isolationist policies in a global society.

Quite good, not it's great. only some details:
-Habsburg, not Hapsburg (and they are, althouh Austrian emperors, swiss. there home castle lies in the Aargau)
-I added the names of the battles Bibracte and Marignano.
-1848, not 1847!
-erm, yeah ok. Everything's alright. I especially like the last sentence. It's really bad that we have such strong 'ultr-tradionalists' in this country.

The civiliopedia is ok for the confoederation pikeman.

your city list
Zürich
Genève
Basel
Bern
Lausanne
Winterhur
Sankt Gallen
Luzern
Biel
Thun
Köniz
La Chaux-de-Fonds
Schaffhausen
Fribourg
Neuchâtel
Chur
Verbier
Uster
Sion
Emmen

my one:
Bern
Zürich
Genève
Basel
Lausanne
Winterthur
Aarau
Luzern
Lugano
St. Gallen
Biel/Bienne
Einsiedeln
Chur
Fribourg
Neuchâtel
Solothurn
Delémont
Sion
Davos
Schaffhausen
Langenthal
Wil
Glarus
Bellinzona
Altdorf
Brig
Rapperswil
Liestal
Laufen

But ok, your decision :) pick your own cities. But Berne has to come first. Zürich is the most important city NOW, Basel was it in the middle ages, Genève is important throughout the centuries...

GL: Your list is ok, but Flüe wasn't at all militaristic, he was a monk... :) compare it with my one:
Général Guisan
Guillaume Henri Dufour
Sandro Bertaggia
Arnold von Winkelried

SL:
same goes for this list, just please add Henry Dunant to your one.
my one:
Henry Dunant
Leonhard Euler
Johann Bernoulli
Le Corbusier
Daniel Bernoulli
Carl Gustav Jung

Just one last thing: I'd give them/us an aggresivity of 2 or 3, but ok... :)

have fun, I hope I could help:

mfG mitsho

I have just one question:
Why did you make this civ? How did this idea get to you? Do you have swiss ancestors? And in your report, you did mention the battle of Dornach (which is next to the village where I live). But this battle isn't that important or famous. There are more important ones. So why did you mention it?

mfG mitsho

EDIT You surely allow me to use your graphics here, aren't you? thanks a lot? :)

mitsho

:lol: mitsho, some of these things we compiled together in marla's thread, remember? ;)

i like this mod a lot more than the new one by Sims2789. it's nearer to my taste i guess ;)

Top Bottom