Your Biggest Obstacle to Game Play??

Your biggest Obstacle to Game Play??

• Limited computer speed / ram.

Votes: 7 6.7%
  • Limited computer access time.

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • social commitments (friend, spouse,etc.)

Votes: 21 20.2%
  • Work / study / school

Votes: 53 51.0%
  • Game / unit / scenario designing

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Different hobbies or interests

Votes: 8 7.7%
  • Other - please explain

Votes: 8 7.7%

• Total voters
Time is biggest for me. Get home from work. Dinner with partner. GOta work the next day. So during the week on some days i may get a half hour session to have a few turns. On the weekend I will play 2 - 3 hours max. Takes me 3 weeks to play a standard map on Emporer

My biggest obstacle is the fact that Civ cant hold my interest for very long. I'll play like 1-2 games (after starting and quitting a bajillion trying to find a decent starting spot) and play them to completion, then I wont play the game again for months.

I voted other because of the following:

I have social commitments now with a girlfriend and church and stuff.

I have another hobby, a major hobby, skateboarding:)

I am busy with school a lot

But I still manage to get Civilization III time in.

Definetely doing homework and other school-related things, not to mention actually going to school. Other than that there's really nothing holding me back from nonstop Civ 3.

Other - Wife.

But then, she only complains when I should have been doing something else. . .

My girlfriend

Every few turns she also wants some attention. ;-)

Originally posted by _Z_
My girlfriend

Every few turns she also wants some attention. ;-)
Well, the great thing about Civ is that you can actually give her some attention!
Just imagine you were an online Starcraft player, or a Counter Strike player, or such. With games like those, you can't just hit pause, do other things, and get back into the game. But with Civ, you can.
So my GF :love: must be happy I'm a Civver. :D

Social commitments keep me from total immersion. My girlfriend hates Civ due to the fact that it keeps me from carrying on any sort of intelligent conversation (on topics other than Civ) while I am playing. To make up for this, I play while she works instead of getting sleep.

Uni, my job and social life, although 'attention span' should be in there too; Ive abandoned 3-4 games recently that i got to the Middle Age for absolutely no reason...

You forgot to mention 'Sleep' and 'Other games' as poll options!

Civilization can only keep my interest for 3-5 hours, then I'll want to play something else. I usually return to Civ after an hour or so though :p

Most limiting factor is definitely sleep - I hate sitting there 01am in the night, knowing that work begins 07am next morning!

I voted School/Work.

I voted PC speed/ram. 1 ghz 256 ram was quite reasonable when Civ3 first arrived in terms of comparable PC speeds, quickly became apparent that for Civ3 it wasn't up to it. Thinking about buying a 512 stick of ram :D

Many years ago I would have voted social (spouse), however she was quickly turned to the Dark Side and enjoys Civ as much as I do :evil: :vader:

Work (but at least I can occasionally play there -- speaking of which)

Work...That pesky mortgage has to be paid.

Wife...She expects me to look up from the screen when she talks to me.

Commuting in the DC area...grrrr!

1) Concentration. I will play very well for many turns and then lose concentration for a couple of crucial decisions - let cities lose a turn to unhappiness, send a stack of swordsmen to a grassland instead of a hill square (less defense), fail to get a wonder by 2 turns due to not starving the populace or not piling workers into the city, not notice that I've been researching the wrong tech for 5 turns, that kind of thing.

2) Work.

3) Wife.

'nuff said.

Other - No obstacle to play

I play every so often even if it's just for a few turns. When the kids are in bed, the wife's out w/ friends or at a meeting, I have time to kill and want to destress I'll fire up Civ3 and advance a saved game.

Wife - For some reason she considers me sitting on the couch watching TV with her more "quality" time than me sitting in the same room with her "civ'ing" oh well... Now Civ time comes at the expense of sleep instead

school

Top Bottom