City Build Discussion

Chieftess

Retired Moderator
Ok, since governors never post any discussions for what to build (very undemocratic IMHO), I'm going to post suggested builds for our cities.

Remember that we now have 7 luxuries (trades included).

Duex Rivieres - Knights, and only knights.
Vandelay - Barracks, knights. Could use the additional floodplain to have 1 more mined tile (to bump it over 18spt).
Vo Mimbre - Switch to a market. (It doesn't need the colleseum, and a market would be much better due to the luxuries). Then, build nothing but Musketeers (not knights). It needs the desert to the east (and another desert on that other road) mined. That gives it 15spt (musketeers every 4 turns - 60 shields).
Groton - Knights, and only Knights
Montpellier - Knights, and only Knights. It also needs more workers built into it (from the designated worker factories).
Huntington - Needs *NON-DYE JUNGLE TILES* cleared and mined. Should build musketeers.
Mr. Roger's Neigborhood - Don't know why it's building a granary with 0 growth. Give it a barracks, and build Longbows. (back up defense).
Sanction - Can use some more workers built into the city. Market is fine. Have it alternate Musket/Knight until our cities have ample musket defense, then all knights.
St. Octaviansburg - Granary's ok, but it will grow 1 turn before it's complete, wasting it for another 20 turns. Needs Barracks, and then build nothing but knights.
Mure - Musket, Aqueduct, Market.
Santa Lucia - Needs jungle clearing... Build barracks BEFORE building knights!!! Finish the current knight though (but it'll be a regular knight), then build a barracks, then Market, and more knights. (I'd like to see 6 or 8 workers each clearing jungle. Why not 7? The 7th worker is a waste.
Cijam - Finish the university, build a barracks, then knights.
Raven's Flight - Market, Harbor, Caravel
Finklewink - Do as you please. This is a colony that's really of no use to us.
New Falcon's Haven - Switch to a Courthouse, Muskets.
New Morgana - Switch to a granary, workers (to build into cities).
Acheron - Library (rush?), Walls, Muskets.
Bootsville - Nothing but knights (needs some micromanagement though).
Sharkygrad - Library, granary, workers.
Carabet Voltaire - Catapults (we will upgrade these soon)
Ooligaria - University, Barracks, Muskets
Ville de Buisson - Barracks, Knights (needs lots of micromanagement, and workers added into the city)
Grand Bricolage - Harbor, Granary, Workers. (Remove the floodplains tile, Ville needs it for the forests).
Internal - Switch to granary, workers. It's got more than enough growth to build workers every few turns. These will build into core cities.
Antilla - Temple (or Library), Harbor. (Move a musket to this village instead of building one)
Vandopolis - Library, Barracks, Muskets.
Liebling - Harbor, workers (to build into cities).
Anarchyisgodville - Workers (to build into cities).
Kobayashi City - Sunscreen. (build as you please, actually)
Kadessa - Library, Barracks, Musket (It's one of our slow cities).
Audiac - Library (rush?), Harbor.

Note - We have so many luxs now, that not all cities will need temples and cathedrals.

Good thread! :goodjob:

I do however feel that I don't have to post and/or poll every build. But this thread encourages debates about the builds, and that is good. This way there can be a good communication between (in this case) the deparment of Defense and the cities.

With regard to the proposed queues in my province, the Alluares province, I have the following suggestions.

Mister Roger's Neiberhood was constructing a granary, because I expected some growth last turnchat when jungle was cleared. This process goes a little slower than expected, so maybe you are right to change the queue a bit. Barracks are the next priority in this city, and will be added in the list.
Acheron is stuck between jungle and corruption. The next priority, instead of a granary will be a courthouse. I will post a cashrush request in the senate, so as to improve the number of shields faster. I am not sure about the walls, that you propose. I expect this city to grow beyond 6 soon. (but the workers will have to stay in my province to continue working the jungle, in order to achieve this)
Vandopolis will finish its almost finished Library, and then start building a Barracks, which is quite the same as you proposed:).

I have to add that if the process of clearing the jungles continues with this speed, I may add a granary in the queue list, to ensure a fast growth beyond 6 citizens.

Thanks for the input: this is the way the DG has to work: the minister approaches the governors to modify the city's queues, if needed, to the national interest.

Shouldn't most of these comments be in the specific Governor's thread? It would seem that is the most logical place for them.

Of course, the general attitude of this game has devolved into demands and finger-pointing, so this seems to be as good of a place as any.

-- Ravensfire

You are right: that is the most logical place.

I'll link to this thread in my Provincial thread, and maybe other governors could reply in their own thread. :)

How Ironic that the Fanatican Groton is producing Knights while the Real Life Conneticut Groton in the US produces Submarines and Pharmaceuticals ;).

yeh we need more discussions on this, because i rarely have time to go to turnchats and view the saved game

it seems a little military heavy, maybe a bit more infastructure?

Originally posted by ravensfire
Shouldn't most of these comments be in the specific Governor's thread? It would seem that is the most logical place for them.

Of course, the general attitude of this game has devolved into demands and finger-pointing, so this seems to be as good of a place as any.

-- Ravensfire

You would think that, but then you'd have many hands that don't know what the other is doing. Also, discussions have been progressing outside of department threads since late DG1. It's much easier to see everything in one thread, so that you see what the full plan is.

@ybbor - Yes, it is. And that's because we wanted to attack Babylon and Russia. Kind of hard to take cities with banks and colleseums (unless you're sure you'll culture flip cities...).

There's several things to note.

1 - We have plenty of luxuries, so markets will suffice. That means, we don't need temples, cathedrals, and colloseums right now.

2 - We have tons of income, so we don't need a lot of banks right now. We can build banks after we take out Babylon and Russia.

3 - We're a commercial civ, so that more than makes up for the banks.

We also need to stabilize our defenses. We're still defending with warriors, spears and swords. Our knights can come out and get ready for an attack. With 7 luxs, and markets, there's not a need for a huge happiness garrison.

Hmm, If we can build 5 Banks. We can be able to build the Stock Exchange.

But I would like to see this after the Babs and the Russians are taken down.

Sérliënorë is prepared to cooperate with any military requests.

I am still highly favoring igniting our GA in the following way:

Gift a city to the English (they'll get the best defensive unit available to them for free = spearman). Declare war. Attack with some musketeers. Recapture the city. This leads to a Musketeer Golden Age.
In that GA we can build up troops to capture a complete nation; Babs or Russian; that is your call, thus becoming the "Persia of the south". No more problems for science-slacking, no more caving in to tribute-demands, no more threats to our nation.

We can then rollup our continent, jump to the Egypt/Greek continent some time later (with cavs for instance) and finally decide to go for Persia or Zulu or Aztecs. Victory granted.

Or, we could wait for one of the passing Bab troops to pass through Mure, and lie in wait with a musket.

This post written befor the last turnchat, but couldn't be posted because the server was down. But it is still my opinion.

I agree with some of your proposals, not with all. Some comments, given with limited time available.

I would grow all cities to pop 6 (or 12).

I would NEVER build units without a barracks.

I would build some more libraries (even universities) e.g. in Groton, Vo Mimbre to help our research.

Some Audiac cities with low shields will get a bank before building units.

We should start pre-building NOW for Newton's in Groton, or Vandelay.

Originally posted by tao
I would NEVER build units without a barracks.
[/COLOR]

Same here. I tried to find all the cities that didn't have barracks yet that would be a goot knight factory (now cavs). We also need some muskets, and cities will need barracks (especially to upgrade some units).

Top Bottom