Trades and What to research for 1265 AD

truckingpete

On a Stark Trek
Germany
He wants: Theory of Gravity/Militray Tradition/Magnetism for Navigation Priting Press/WM/9 Gold

India
He wants: Metallurgy/Physics for Printing Press/WM/1 Gold

Persia
He wants: Steam Power for Ivory/Navigation/Priting Press/WM/96 GPT/20 Gold:eek:

Aztecs
Nothing of Value

Zulu
He wants: Steam Power for Ivory/Navigation/Priting Press/WM/20 Gold

Greece
Nothing of Value

Egypt
She wants: Steam Power for Printing Press/WM/80 Gold/1 GPT/Navigation

England
Nothing of Value

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
What we can research:
Medicine
Industrialization
Nationalism

I was thinking the Persia deal too...We sure get a lot of stuff. Plus I think we should research...Industrialization?? I think it is a good tech..who knows...

Let's start by looking at our current situation:
Persia gives furs, 63gpt for 4 more turns
Aztecs give spices for dyes for 4 more turns
Aztecs give gems for 10 more turns
England gives silks for dyes, 3gpt for 9 more turns

Persia and Zulus have ivory to trade.
The Zulu trade is risky, because they are at war with Persia.

Persia, Egypt and Zulus are in Industrial Times.
Persia is the only one having nationalism, because they are scientific. It is likely that they research steam, but possible that they research medicine or democracy.
Aztecs lack physics, metallurgy.
England and Greece are most backwards in technology.

Now let's state what we want:
lots of gpt from Persia to stiffle their research
printing press, navigation
ivory would be nice

And here is what I propose:
Persia gives 121gpt, 25g, ivory, wm, printing press for steam power, wines (hope they keep the deal)
Aztecs give navigation, 2gpt, 3g, wm for physics

In 4 turns, we let the Persia/furs deal expire, because we do not want to trade them electricity OR we sell electricity to Persia for furs, at least 63gpt.
In 4 turns, we get spices from Aztecs for some tech older than electricity plus dyes.
In 9 turns, we renew the England/silks deal for some outdated technology plus dyes.
In these deals, we try to get as much gold, gpt, maps as possible.

We decide on the Aztecs/gems deal after the turnchat.

PS: research on industrialization, medicine, scientific method

Sounds like a good plan tao.

As for what to research, we are currently researching Replaceabable Parts, due in 4, but we are unlikely to be able to sustain the deficit we are running at for much longer. Industrialisation next which will possibly take us to the end of the turnchat, then Medicine & Scientific Method for the Theory of Evolution.

Hmm..very nice toa...So I pretty much say we agree with the Persia deal? Should I go with the Zulu deal..it may be bad, but Zulu is going to be gone and we have to get some of the Ivory???

truckingpete: I saw your instructions in the turnchat thread and frankly: I don't really understand why
a) you order the inferior Persia deal and
b) don't give the instructions necessary in turn 4 and 9 to keep us from loosing the vital luxuries.

toa: I replied my PM..can see it there

And to everybody..please give me a chance. I will try harder next TC...

EDIT:mad:toa..was at TC and I renewed them..every citizen happy now :D

Don't worry. We adapted the instructions in the turnchat. ;)

So, what's the research path now, for 1315AD?

We're researching Medicine right now, and could learn Sci Meth. next turn. Then, cut down on research, OR research a tech if we have enough time (even a tech in 4, wonder in 4 is enough, since we can "look at the big picture" first). We could research Nationalism, or Sanitation quickly.

I always have trouble picking between nationalism and sanitation. But I think sanitation would be a good choice, heres my logic:

If I go nationalism, then I delay the developement of my 12 pop cities. After nationalism is finished, I usually really want communism, and possibly even espionage, thus delaying even further the growth of my major cities by not choosing sanitation earlier.

Im new to the Demogame right now, but Im fairly certain we are not at war at this moment, but are actually gearing up for it? When I get home, I'll have to grab the save game, but for now, I'll say that according to what Ive read, the upcoming war will come swift and strong. Since its forseen that we will dominate whichever civ we will be hitting, I can imagine there will be more peace time following that war. So you can further avoid nationalism and the following tech, communism, since they are most useful when building a large army before or during war time. (mobilization, no weariness).

By choosing sanitation, we allow our cities to grow potentially more than double their current capacity (obviously). Having massive industrial strength only further increases the usefullness and effectiveness of mobilization (mobilizing economy), while having a mobilized economy does not help cities grow any faster or be any more productive in a non war situation.

If Im way off base as to the current state of affairs, I apologize, Im still figuring some things out.

Keaka
Lowly Peon

Nationalism gives us the rifleman, but we know replaceable parts and infantry. It gives war mobilization, but do we need it? I gives MPPs, but do we want them? It gives trade embargoes, but do we need them?

Scientific Method gives Theory of Evolution and we definitely want it.

Sanitation gives hospitals and further growth. We need it sooner or later, even though we will run into happiness problems.

Corporation is the successor to industrialization and stepping stone to refining.

I would not go nationalism; we can trade for it now or soon and don't really need it.

Scientific method is good and I would do it first.

Trading medicine to the AIs in hope of them researching sanitation while we go corporation, refining, steel, etc. is risky, as the AIs may well neglect sanitation quite some time. But it is an option.

Originally posted by tao
Nationalism gives us the rifleman, but we know replaceable parts and infantry. It gives war mobilization, but do we need it? I gives MPPs, but do we want them? It gives trade embargoes, but do we need them?

Sanitation gives hospitals and further growth. We need it sooner or later, even though we will run into happiness problems.

Corporation is the successor to industrialization and stepping stone to refining.

I would not go nationalism; we can trade for it now or soon and don't really need it.

Trading medicine to the AIs in hope of them researching sanitation while we go corporation, refining, steel, etc. is risky, as the AIs may well neglect sanitation quite some time. But it is an option.

I would reject the last idea, as you said it is risky. If it doesnt work out, people wont be happy. :D

I agree with you sentiments against nationalism, trading for it would be the best way to go. I would say to go for sanitation. As getting into corporation will tempt us to continue on that branch and further bypass sanitation, probably hoping to trade for it eventually. Growth should be a priority, because the big cities will become the industrial powerhouses no doubt (Groton?), but a size 12 city is not going to get as much use out of a factory + X powerplant as a size 20 city.

Originally posted by tao

Which is why it's an optional tech! :D I never research it.

Definately get it.

I'd probably get it mid-way through the Industrial era (the AI doesn't bother with it much). I'd probably want to conquer a few civs for their luxuries, then go over size 12.

That's pretty much the stepping stone for the rest of the industrial age.

Trading medicine to the AIs in hope of them researching sanitation while we go corporation, refining, steel, etc. is risky, as the AIs may well neglect sanitation quite some time. But it is an option. [/B]

Ahh, the memories. See DG1 Term 3 and donsig in regards to medicine. ;) The AI rarely researches sanitation. Sanitation is in fact, a bargaining chip. The AI goes for refining especially, because it shows a resource - oil.

We could research Nationalism, or Sanitation quickly.

Haha, it was on your mention that the discussion on nationalism vs sanitation vs others began, cheiftess :D Now you say you never research it. If someone is against an idea, it usually benefits him/her to not bring it up if it is counterproductive to that persons goal.

Either way, Im sure we can all agree not to go for nationalism ATM, albeit for slightly different reasoning. I usually do eventually research nationalism, rather than trading, but thats because I love me some communism.

Top Bottom