GOTM 31 Pre-Game Discussion

ainwood

Consultant.
Administrator
Screenshot:

I don't think the last few games have been overly predictable, but if some chaos theorests of fractal buffs can read some sort of pattern into them, then go ahead and predict away.

What might make for an interesting twist is for me to post a clue a day, for you to all read far-too-much in to.;)

Today's clue: Barbarians will be set to 'raging' :)

Edit: Main release page is here

Features page: here.

*Puts the psychic hat on*

This is a large continents map, normal, normal, 5 billion yrs with 12 preset rivals on diety as the Americans. We'll have lots of rivers close to our start. Only problem is we won't get to use them cause the Zulu and the Aztecs start nextdoor to us.

*Psychic hat off*

My settler gamble will fail when a JW surprises my undefended capitol and sack it for a 3000 B.C. loss :(

analysis: we don't have to get nervous for now. barbs are almost always 'raging', and barbs are probably 'regionally intense' as on the last maps.
we don't have to worry to get all the gold stolen and the 27 shield early settler production in the capital being ransacked, but later on we'll meet those 40plus horsemen stacks, again. fine.

After one pangea and an archipelago, continents will be the obvious choice.
Two times in a row we had monarch difficulty, altough the last map played harder than usually on monarch, so it's either a notch up, or some notches down.
For fun play, the chinese with their great riders, 2 continents reachable with the lighthouse on warlord difficulty would be nice. It gives newcomers a chance to play an easy, fun game and for predators, a 5CC only victory conditions conquest and culture 100k available would provide probably enough challenge.

Raging barbs is not a clue, it's a threat which we are used to now!

Bring on the Zulu, 2 continents or pangea standard map on Deity.

Will make us try to hold on to the GA for as long as we can :)

hmmm... deity... zulu... pangea- all of this talk of a conquest-/domination-tailored game makes me think I should do some AW practice before GOTM31... (I don't think my over-worn diplo approach will cut it for this one... :help: )- does anybody have a link or two with some good AW tips/stories? thanks in advance!

Originally posted by gozpel
Raging barbs is not a clue, it's a threat which we are used to now!
... or an opportunity :thumbsup:. All those lovely barb camps at 25 gold per pop ... All those great training oportunities for elite generation ... Maybe a few goodie huts with extra barbs on the side ... You can't get a great leader directly from combat with a barb, but did you know you can qualify for the Heroic Epic just by destroying a barb with an army?

Originally posted by AlanH
You can't get a great leader directly from combat with a barb, but did you know you can qualify for the Heroic Epic just by destroying a barb with an army?

Is that really true, Alan?

Raging barbs meant in my last two gotm games the same as no barbs. In the Egypt game i never saw one barb. In the Spain game I only saw a few barbs on the lonely small islands.

Yes. I discovered it in SGOTM1.

I built an army with a great leader. (Big mistake! He was too late to have a major impact on our home continent and couldn't fit into a galley to go help the war effort overseas. Should have held him for a few turns till we completed Mapmaking and built the Lighthouse). So our army was stuck at home with nothng to play with but the barbs. As soon as he killed one I was invited to build the Heroic Epic. So any army victory will do apparently.

I never saw any barbs in the Egypt game either, but I didn't play past about 50 AD. There were lots in 30, and I had some late game fun with them. See my final spoiler for details.

I have read the last spoiler, Alan.

I must say I love these small islands with many barbs too. If you need a leader simply bring a stack of your forces to a barb island and see the 100+ barb horses attack as in the Korea game....

If the stack is big enough and your forces survive the next three wonders are your own.

Originally posted by Leibniz
If the stack is big enough and your forces survive the next three wonders are your own.
I used to believe that too. I must have had forty or more elite victories in that game and only had a single leader, right in the final real battle of the game. That kind of roll of the dice can have a drastic effect on the game result, as you can see by comparing similar games where the luck was different.

ARGH! I just start playing Civ3 again and decide to try my hand at the GotM, and the person running it gets all mysterious. :aargh:

Of course this just makes me more determined to play, so of course I can see why you're doing it. Damn, I'm such a sucker. :wallbash:

Well I won't be able to finish GoTM30 in time. I will try to make GOTM 31 my first completed one since GOTM21. Need more infomation on the map. The next bit of info ainwood is going to say is probably we will start with a settler and a worker. :lol:

Top Bottom