Check out my Excel OCN Calculator

lbhhh

King
Hello everyone,

I finally took the time to carefully read Alexman's work on corruption(for conquests) concerning the OCN for your empire. I put together a little excel sheet so I could easily calculate the OCN for my games and I found it works well. So I decided to post it here so anyone interested can use it. Once again, all the credit goes to Alexman for the formula:thanx: . To use it, just input the appropriate data underneath the green input data cells. Ant comments/questions welcome. Enjoy!

Attachments

• ocnlbhhh.zip
    3.1 KB · Views: 521
Here's a screenshot for Emporer difficulty, commercial civ.republic government, large map and the FP. OCN is 38.64 rounded = 39

Attachments

• ocncalc.jpg
    ocncalc.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 1,003
That pretty nice lbhh! Is communism supposed to have an OCN many times higher than the other goverments? According to Alexman's furmulas, I think under the "Gov" category, communism should be 0.2, not 2. Even after I make that change, changing from democracy to communism raises the OCN from 25 to 71 on a large map on deity with the FP. But I guess that is more reasonable.

Originally posted by nullspace
That pretty nice lbhh! Is communism supposed to have an OCN many times higher than the other goverments? According to Alexman's furmulas, I think under the "Gov" category, communism should be 0.2, not 2. Even after I make that change, changing from democracy to communism raises the OCN from 25 to 71 on a large map on deity with the FP. But I guess that is more reasonable.

Thanks for the words of encouragement. I'm happy to see other people benefit from the calculator.
On your point about being .2 and not 2 for communism I would have agreed with you until recently but Alexman himself corrected me in this thread.
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=83288

Check out posts 13 through 18. We come to the conclusion OCN on chieftain, communism huge map etc is 324!!!!! And my excel sheet confirms it.

Just for reference purposes, Alexman's formula for OCN: Notice GR=2 for communal corruption.

Nopt = OCN * (L/100 * (1 + c + Gr + Gp*Nwe)
where
OCN is the optimal number of cities for the map size,
as found in the editor
L is the percentage of optimal cities for the current
difficulty level, as given in the editor
Nwe is the number of active Wonders in the empire with
the “reduces corruption” ability
(Forbidden Palace, SPHQ)
c = 0.25 for a commercial civilization,
0 otherwise
Gr = 0.1 for minimal or nuisance corruption
2 for communal corruption
0 otherwise
Gp = 3/8 non-communal corruption
3 for communal corruption
Regardless, thanks for the feedback, any other question/comments always appreciated.

Moderator Action: Moved to the Utilities forum.

Good idea, if you don't mind me doing it lbhhh and Alexman I could make a nice user interface for it with buttons instead of the user having to type in values.

Originally posted by Talar
Good idea, if you don't mind me doing it lbhhh and Alexman I could make a nice user interface for it with buttons instead of the user having to type in values.

That's fine by me. Contact me if you decide to redo the interface.

This may be a stupid question, but is it a good thing to have a high "OCN" (Whatever that means) or a bad thing?

Might help some of us who are otherwise left out in the jargon.

Originally posted by Aeon221
This may be a stupid question, but is it a good thing to have a high "OCN" (Whatever that means) or a bad thing?

Might help some of us who are otherwise left out in the jargon.

The OCN refers to your optimal city number. If your empire has more cities than your OCN, the corruption level gets higher in cities ranked over your OCN. Therefore it is better to have the highest OCN possible, as it allows you to have a hogher number of cities that are productive.

For more details on distance and rank corruption, the reference is Alexman's article

Corruption

Hope that answers your question.

Top Bottom