Informative Tech Tree

BrownK

Chieftain
*** Note that I have included an update below that adds resources to the tree ***

***I've also included a .pdf version below for those without Excel***

I was having difficulty when picking my research path figuring out what each advance was going to allow. Sure, there are icons there that represent what will be allowed, but if you don't know what the icons represent you're out of luck.

In addition, just knowing what I'd get didn't seem like enough. I wanted to know what the capabilities were for those units, improvements, and wonders too. I know quite a few people have created mod packs for Civ III, and having the information in-game would probably be the best way to go. But, in the spirit of LoneWolf5050's Civ III Reference File, I have recreated the technology tree.

This file is in Excel format with four worksheets - one for each of the technology ages. For each advance I've included the units, improvements, Wonders, and actions that become available (except for the units unique to each civ). For each of these I have provided basic information, such as ADM and BRF for the units, maintenance and culture for the improvements, and culture and civ type for each wonder.

The pages are fairly 'small' so each can be printed to a single sheet of paper. I just use each sheet as a reference when I pick my research path. I've found it to be very useful.

I'd be happy to hear about any errors you discover so I can make corrections. I don't know if anyone will find this useful, but if you do, great! ;)

Nice list, I'd recommend putting resources on there too. I'm sorry to be the one to break this to you, but you can get all of this information from your science advisor by right-clicking on any tech.

Well you weren't breaking any news to me I didn't know. Yes, you can get this information by right-clicking the advance, but you can't see the big picture. When you right-click on an advance you get a list. Then to get information about each item, you click on each item separately. Then, suppose you're considering two or three different paths, you have to do this for each path. This gets time consuming on my machine, and it also requires me to take notes. This way, I have it all in one spot once and for all!

Of course, you may not find this useful, and that's ok. I just made it available because I thought others might have the same frustration as me - I don't like to have to keep drilling down to get information when it could all be presented at once. :)

Ok, here it is again with resources included. I just added a line

Resource: ...

to each advance which makes a resource available.
Thanks for the suggestion ShirleyRocks!

Attachments

• civ3techtree2.zip
    11.5 KB · Views: 4,538
Please do! I thought of asking you the same question, but you asked first so you can do the merge. :)

I've been using your file while I play and I think the two are the perfect complement. With both, you can see the order things take place with the tree and then get complete information on each unit/advance/wonder with your file. I just keep them side-by-side on my desk while I play. Also, feel free to do any editing you see fit, and feel free to generate a .pdf version too.

So, thanks for your original file, which gave me the idea for this one, and thanks for putting them together.

It occurred to me that some folks might not have Excel and might benefit from a .pdf version, so here it is in that format too.

Attachments

• civ3techtreepdf.zip
    16.7 KB · Views: 3,343
Awesome! I dl'd both of them and the PDF - for me - spells it out! Printing it out makes it even better.

thx BrownK!

:bump: and a half.

Never seen a 10 year bump before, then agian, this forum is only about 10 years old. :lol:

For those who read that information from the "first moments" of Civ 3, please note, that C3C offers much better possibilities to place such informations in the techtree:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=181605

For example the mod CCM uses this methode to provide such informations to the players.

Top Bottom