Save Game Editor v1.01

Status
Not open for further replies.
it would be cool to be able to switch civs at the beginning of the game. i'm currently playing on a standard map as persians and started with 8 civs. its mid-1900s now and i'm close to a culture vic and may even win before then with UN.

but here's the thing. at the beginning, i was on a continent with 6 other civs while china got a cont of its own. i'd like to try it out as china and see if i can make a good civ outta that situation (the ai dropped the ball big-time... china's in the dark ages).

it would just be a completely different game. i build almost no navy until very late... that would have to change. i also needed to be very careful with all the civs around me since i was in the middle while they were all blasting the heck outta each other. again, china was somewhat removed from this.

it would just be interesting if it could happen. but since its not a premade map i dunno how it would work.

dss

I maybe able to help you with this one, but you'll have to wait until I release a new version.

Untill then keep your save game, I take it you still have the save game from the very beginning?

Cheers.
James.

I think it's time for an update.

I've fixed the bug with changing the year, this now works, you will not be able to enter Invalid years, you will get prompt that there is an error with the year and it'll suggest two valid years.

i.e -4000, -3950, -3900 are valid
-3999, -3920, -3907 are Invalid

If you enter -3999 it will suggest you change it to -4000 or -3950.

Things being worked on: ( Will be release in the next version. )
The ability to change your selected civ.
Uncovering the world when you move units about with the editor.

Possible be able to change the units you start with.

If you 'd like to suggest any thing you'd like in the next version or an update of any version then let me know.

Cheers.
James.

Attachments

• civ3-sge-v1-01.zip
    20.9 KB · Views: 13,226
Good job, James! :goodjob:

Is it possible to use your program to change the starting position of ALL Civs on a world map?

Another question: If you change the year of a 2000 AD saved game to 0 AD, will that create a problem because all cities and Wonders have the construction year recorded? For example, if you build the Hoover Dam in 1900 AD, but you change the year of the saved game to 0 AD, will this create a conflict?

You most certainly can, if you start Civ3 and save a game at the very start. Load up the editor and load the save file, you'll get a list of units, which when clicked on give what nationality they belong to, and also the X and Y tile locations.

When changing locations it's best to have the map loaded up in the Civ3 Map Editor, moving units about will only work with premade maps, it'll work with other maps but you won't have a clue where your placing them.

Hope that makes sence.

Cheers.
James.

I should'nt think it'll cause any problems, apart from the fact that you'll have citys built in the future!!!

The main purpose for putting the change of year in was to show functionality, it's main purpose will be to make scenarios when it's possible to do.

Adding citys and units, to the sav file shouldn't be a problem, it'll just take a while to get the file format worked out.

James.

Just used it on a world map that finally is playable... But WHY wasn't this in from the start?

Used one of the world maps wich is downloadable from this forum, it's a bit tight in Europe though... So I guess the Aztecs, Zuluz, Chinese, Americans, Iroqiues, Egyptians have a small advantage?

thanks, jimmy. yeah, i've still got the save from the beginning of the game. and i also started thinking about it. i guess i wouldnt necessarily havta change civs (from persia to china), just switch their places i guess... and your proggie already does that right? but then again, this isnt premade map, so i dunno if it would be easy to do.

dss

It would be great to bypass this incredibally annoying civ3 savegame bug by having the possibility of adding a new city for a civilization soon to be destroyed... (if you know what i'm talking about ) The bug occurs when a civ doesn't have any cities left but 1 potential city in the form of a settler, when that settler is destroyed all the savegames from that point on get corrupted..
I wasn't able to find anything out of the ordinary with my hex editor in one of the many "CITY" fields, or maybe i was just to lazy, anywayz adding a city should probably fix this so i can continue my game.

thanks,

T.

Thanks Jimmy. Great program!

Ive already made several new games including the huge world map with the correct starting positions.

I started a game and saved it without building a capitol. Then used your editor hack to move the civs units to where I wanted them. Saved and restarted, no problem.

One interesting side effect was that the origional starting position was still visible even though another civ was there. I could "see" their capitol and all units around it moving in and out.

All civs could communicate before long, without making actual physical contact, because each could see another from their "old" starting position, and started trading "contact" with each other.

Wierd. Anyone else have this happen? Any way to "fix" it? The only problem is trading techs early in the game unbalances things right off the bat.

I dont mind so much, its still great to be able to design worlds and place specific civs. Just curious.

I tried to use this program with Marla Singer's new world map to place the civs in the correct starting positions, and it crashes when I try to open the saved game. It works on my other games just fine, but not that one. Any ideas why?

Originally posted by Kino
I tried to use this program with Marla Singer's new world map to place the civs in the correct starting positions, and it crashes when I try to open the saved game. It works on my other games just fine, but not that one. Any ideas why?
You can try with the SaveGameEditor in version 0.70+ of Civ3CopyTool. (I believe it can read and write all sort of savefiles.)

Please pardon me for showing my stupidity.

I am desperate to be able to place civs in specific places on my pre-designed maps but I'm a real novice at this. I downloaded the program but can't seem to get it to work.

I open the map editor and then I open your Save game editor. I go to the saved games folder click on the map I want want to edit.

Then I get this message "Save Game.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience"

What am I doing wrong?

Do I need to install the Save Game editor in a particular folder or something else? I've tried several different things but can't seem to get it to open a saved map. I'm using Windows XP.

Could you please give me a simple walk thru? I know I'm ignorant but it's better to ask a stupid question than.....

Thanks in advance. I'm desperate.

Originally posted by metrognome
i too am having problems using the editor with Marla's world map. what to do?
I've managed to load it into Civ3CopyTool's SaveGame Editor (with version 0.70 and later, but v0.73 is the one I've tested it with, and it seem to work)

Originally posted by metrognome
where might i find this Civ3CopyTools of which you speak?
Check this forum. I have a thread for it here.

(It can also be found in the Apolyton Civ3-files forum)

The save game editor didn't work for me either, but after some messing around with it, I figured out that you must use the default rules for it to work. Apparently it can't be a random map either. (Jimmy had said this, though I didn't test it.) If you want to play with custom rules, you can still modify the civ3mod.bic file in your map editor. Those are the core rules so I'd make a backup of them first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom