Gandhi domination victory

rodrigovc

Chieftain
Yesterday I starded a game with random civilization, standart, continents on emperor which I inicially pretended going for domination. I changed plans because I got Gandhi as my civilization.
I was wondering if it is possible to win a standart, continents domination victory game with gandhi at higher diffliculty like immortal or deity. This could be a challenge to the best players here.

1. That's why I don't decide form of victory to go after until at least 30 turns in. (I play on epic)

2. But as to your question. Yup.
Raze useless cities; but annex cities after they come out of resistance and rush a court house to remove the city based unhappiness.

Also for any form of victory as India, your population based unhappiness is half, which after the city grows enough will more than offset the double city unhappiness. When playing peaceful this mostly delays founding of cities for your capital to be big enough. For conquest, I guess it might delay when you want to take the offensive in order to get larger cities as well.

Gandhi is a great warmonger if you don't mind abusing the courthouse bug but let's assume you're only puppeting. Twice the unhappiness per city delays your early expansion by settling but when you reach size 6 you're break even again. Valuable target cities to keep are mostly at 12 pop or higher. Thus yielding a size 6 puppet... Right now I don't see the problem (unless I'm misjudging the situation for having almost no experience with playing as Gandhi).

It looks good on paper, it doesnt work so well in practice.

Been trying off and on for a domination with Gandhi on deity for a while. His elephants suck on the offense, just get chewed to hell and back by pikes since they only have 2 moves like any regular mellee piece. Been meaning to try it again, and ignore his SU. If you try it, don't bother with elephants, just go for swords, or do a stealth arc.

It looks good on paper, it doesnt work so well in practice.

Been trying off and on for a domination with Gandhi on deity for a while. His elephants suck on the offense, just get chewed to hell and back by pikes since they only have 2 moves like any regular mellee piece. Been meaning to try it again, and ignore his SU. If you try it, don't bother with elephants, just go for swords, or do a stealth arc.

Agreed about using standard Sword rush. India's advantage for Domination victory has nothing to do with their UU [which got nerfed on the first patch along with rest of the standard early mounted melee units] but everything to do with using the court house to ignore city based unhappiness while taking advantage of the half population based unhappiness.

War Elephants sucks. They're expensive and weak (especially against spearmen which the AI loves to spam). I prefer an archer rush any day of the week. Mughal forts sucks as well. 2+ culture, come on! Who cares at this stage of the game?

Their UU and UB is almost worthless which IMO makes them one of the more boring civs to play. But back to topic and in regards to their UA they actually work well for domination. I think I have my highest score with India on Deity (around 14000) by turtling with 3 cities until Stealth where after I conquered the whole world. In these late stages you can take 30pop cities without much happiness issues.

true, the obvious way to play India for a domination victory is to turtle until late and then take over the world with highly advanced units, SBs being the obvious choice. that way you are taking highly populous cities which works well with the UA.

Gandhi is a great warmonger if you don't mind abusing the courthouse bug but let's assume you're only puppeting. Twice the unhappiness per city delays your early expansion by settling but when you reach size 6 you're break even again. Valuable target cities to keep are mostly at 12 pop or higher. Thus yielding a size 6 puppet... Right now I don't see the problem (unless I'm misjudging the situation for having almost no experience with playing as Gandhi).

What is The Courthouse Bug? seriously, I have no idea what you mean. (maybe it's been fixed since 3 years ago)

Gandhi is a great Information Age warmonger. I just won an immortal-level science victory, and now I'm conquering the world just for fun. When I capture high-population cities, my happiness goes up instead of down. That may not be sustainable for long, but I'm sniping cities with happiness wonders like Prora first. I have about 10 cities, all but 4 are puppets, and my happiness is currently 81. I don't have any stadiums and very few zoos. Ideology pressure was hurting me for a while, but I've reversed that.

High-population nonstrategic cities: I capture, then retreat and let the enemy overrun it. Then I kill all their nearby melee units, capture it again and start razing.

What is The Courthouse Bug? seriously, I have no idea what you mean. (maybe it's been fixed since 3 years ago)

Fixed indeed :) (the bug meant courthouses provided happiness in addition to eliminating extra annexation unhappiness)

I finished the game last night; I left most of the AI's alive (barely. Couple of snow cities) instead annihilating them. I could have killed them all because most of my GPT was coming from city connections and trading posts rather than trade. At the end I had 29 cities and my happiness was 115, and there were still 3 or 4 very good "happy" policies left that I could take (especially Meritocracy)

I wish I had known this post was four years old when I started reading! I thought I had spent the last 3 years playing civ in ignorance of some special courthouse bug!

Top Bottom