The DYOS Consul (DYOS X: 2007-2009)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another problem with CG's comics is he sometimes makes them big enough horizontally wise that one has to scroll the bar to read it all. That's not very annoying for short comics, since you don't have to scroll as much, but for comics as long as his...

Usually, he doesn't do that, but I've seen it several times whilst reading DYOS 8.

Anyway, back to Stylesrj. I agree with Thorvald and Kulade that you need to make your images bigger, not use a thousand different characters, and put a bit of effort into making the comics. I know, I usually just make my comic out of C+P'ed images from Google, but there are also several things in those comics that were (crappily) drawn by me.

You also need to do some editing to some of your images to look less crappy. ;)

Remember, it's not a race. Take the time you need to make good comics. I mean, look at me!
Actually, I might release a new comic soon. Fingers crossed.

I try to use bigger images, but I got to keep them within a certain frame thing, because I don't want to use the side-scroll bar and I don't want others to use it when I post it.
I use Speech Boxes to convey dialogue in those speech bubble scenes...
So I should take MORE time to make a comic? I already spend an hour or two making one because I try and get good screenshots through scripting or just plain luck!

Just think more about what you're going to do; don't include anything unnecessary. You could always just make your own screenshots or reuse parts of old ones.

I try to use bigger images, but I got to keep them within a certain frame thing, because I don't want to use the side-scroll bar and I don't want others to use it when I post it.
I use Speech Boxes to convey dialogue in those speech bubble scenes...
So I should take MORE time to make a comic? I already spend an hour or two making one because I try and get good screenshots through scripting or just plain luck!

Don't include too many texts, make your screenshots/pictures look better, use bigger images (if you are too lazy to use the scroll bar then just split your comics into parts) and spend more time (I usually take two hours or more to make a comic).

I don't have to split my comics into parts. What I'm worried more about is the horizontal bar. Seriously, I don't want to use it when making a comic or reading one. My mouse wheel only has one direction!

But why do people have so much against Stylesrj? Seriously, I don't get what's wrong with his comics

His reputation is scarred from past friction with other forumers, especially CivGeneral and azzaman333. He was made notorious for powergaming in his comics (treating the story like a game of tactical warfare) and refusing to co-operate with other posters' storylines (although the blame can be shared by a few people). I'm certain the flames still haven't completely died away.

As for his comics, it's a matter of taste. Looking back on his work in DYOS 5, before page 20 when the thread began its downward spiral, very little changed in his cartooning style. I think all the negative social fallout leaves some people with a bitter taste, is all.

DYOS was always about the interaction and funny jokes... however, we seem to be losing that and just pursuing our own story needs. The idea of an avatar war isn't helping much as we all are pursuing our old avatars and interaction is only for a short while or not at all because we all gotta stop our avatars...

I liked the first DYOS (or was it second, I dunno which one had the Perfectiverse?) and that was confusing at first, but it actually got better as it was coming up near the end... then they started anew...

Stylesrj said:
...we seem to be losing that and just pursuing our own story needs. The idea of an avatar war isn't helping much as we all are pursuing our old avatars and interaction is only for a short while or not at all because we all gotta stop our avatars...
In defence, kulade and CivGeneral helped to unify the objective... depending on how they guide the story, they could rally us together in opposition to the united army of the Avatar Supreme Commander.

Just food for thought.

Speaking of kulade, whatever happened to Curdle the Soy Milk?

I think he died on Braxis. Because we didn't really expand on them, I was hoping Kulade would actually expand on them during the story part they were in, as they were his characters

I think the plot is too constructed and there's little free flow. Also, people have their own plot and appears to be very protective of their characters (although there's less of this now in the current thread). DYOS I was great because everyone was more relaxed about the whole thing and spend more time poking fun at each other rather than having a complicated storyline. I think DYOS 5 was the turning point where people lost interest in the thread and eventually the whole idea of a DYOS as it gets longer and more complicated.

Speaking of kulade, whatever happened to Curdle the Soy Milk?

Hmm, perhaps he is in the fridge aboard my ship. Just an idea to toss out to you Thorvald for your portion of the story :)

Hmm, thanks tailless, you gave me an idea.. I should poke fun at everyone and hurt their characters a lot and then you can deny it happened and then I do something else and we all laugh about it

Actually, it was probably DYOS 3 and 4, which both together have less than 100 posts, that no one liked. DYOS 2-4 can really be considered "The Dark Ages of the DYOS".

DYOS 1 was great because the people doing it didn't go to extreme levels (with the exception of Zarn and Mojotronica being killed a lot by CurtSibling) when they attacked each other, and the comics weren't very long, meaning everyone could answer to a threat that was introduced in the comic, rather than the comic-maker answering it himself. The only real flaw of it was Parallel Universes, Time Travel, and comics being posted every 5 minutes.

Unfortunately, with what DYOS is now, DYOS 1 wouldn't work because everyone would kill each other in one comic with unreasonable crap, and no one can get along (in particular, everyone hates Stylesrj and kill fire).

If we kill each other in one comic, we simply just come back and kill them.

"I'll get you with my fat rays!"

"I'll defeat you! Just after I have this roast pork!"

Exactly. It would be completely self-defeating.

I like the way it's going right now though. The plot has begun to grow awesome as we are united this way :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom