Start Bias Question

kamex

Emperor
I was under the impression start bias was almost guaranteed. Just started a game as Arabia, normal default settings, ended up in dense jungle. I thought they had Desert start bias? :mad:

Also, since BNW in general, I seem to start in jungle > 50% of the time. I don't like to re-roll so this is really starting to upset me.

PS: Is there a list of up to date start biases anywhere?

I was under the impression start bias was almost guaranteed. Just started a game as Arabia, normal default settings, ended up in dense jungle. I thought they had Desert start bias? :mad:

Also, since BNW in general, I seem to start in jungle > 50% of the time. I don't like to re-roll so this is really starting to upset me.

PS: Is there a list of up to date start biases anywhere?

I think starting bias only guarantees that within a few tiles of your starting location there will be desert,not so sure of it.

I think starting bias only guarantees that within a few tiles of your starting location there will be desert,not so sure of it.

Certainly wasn't any within the 3 rings of settler starting position.

Was Venice in the game? Because if so, if there was only one desert & it was a great start, Venice probably took it since it has priority, and you ended up in crappy jungle :(

This wouldn't happen to be the earth map would it? That map disables all starting biases.

The general logic is it looks for that region and tries to place you there; if no such region found, then it starts looking for a region with a few such tiles.

But if it can't even find that then it will place you anywhere.

This wouldn't happen to be the earth map would it? That map disables all starting biases.

The general logic is it looks for that region and tries to place you there; if no such region found, then it starts looking for a region with a few such tiles.

But if it can't even find that then it will place you anywhere.

And Venice receives priority over all for it's coastal bias. Then it just goes Player 1 -> Player 2, but I think the human player may go last? So if you're playing a game on a smallish map with Morocco, they might've taken the only desert.

I've seen it where I had to walk my settler for a few turns to get to the nearest desert with Arabia. Rare but it happens. Bias is just that, a bias. Not a guarantee. Usually. I think coastal bias is guaranteed.

A start bias is a tendency for your civ to start in the prescribed area, it is not a guarantee.

Top Bottom