Ethiopia OP Defensively

tjj89

Chieftain
I had Ethiopia with 3 total cities, lowest of the 3 nations attacking me.
Rome, Poland, and England all attacked me, and I had a weak army. BUT my bonuses made me invincible.

20% combat bonus (Ethiopia boost)
30% increased City Range
+30 HP per turn when adjacent to friendly city
I also had one more bonus I can't remember

All 3 surrendered and gave me a bunch of stuff because I wiped their armies. Then they had a FFA in the next era and Poland got ed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No they are not
I'm just saying I had an awesome build that one game.
Ethiopia is pretty good though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OK, I was simply shocked by the idea of someone calling one of the worst UAs in game "overpowered" :D

OK, I was simply shocked by the idea of someone calling one of the worst UAs in game "overpowered" :D

I dunno if I agree with worst UA - if you're playing tall it's a 20% combat bonus vs. everybody and it works on offense or defense. I've used it offensively to go take rivals down a peg or two. I just go into their territory and burn cities until the numbers equalize.

Combined with the Mehal Sefari later in the game, you can get upwards of 40% bonus in your (rather small) territory.

Yeah agree with GoStu there. Its not the worst UA in the game, and its not overpowered either.

Still, with one of the best UBs in the game, I guess they don't need an amazing UA.

I tried to conquer Ethiopia once as they were starting to wonderwhore a bit too much for my liking. I'd had quite a tech lead, i was approaching infantry and machine guns but i just couldn't dent those Mehal Sefaris. I think they'd built Himeji Castle as well, so the amount of stacked combat bonus were just ridiculous. Say what you will about their UA, it's approrpiate and serves its purpose very well.

They are very defense focused (even more with early religion via their Monument/Stele) and I think it adds a nice mix towards so many offensive UA/UU Civs out there.

I wouldn't call it overpowered unless in the hands of multiplayer maybe when stacking every possible defensive boost:

Religion: Defender of the Faith (20% near friendly cities) - Faith Healers 30 hp/turn or Goddess of Protection 30% ranged city strength
Wonders: Great Wall, Himeji Castle
Units/Improvements: Citadels/Great Generals/Mehal Safari
Policies: Oliarchy 50% ranged city strength with garrison and various honor/autocracy boosts that work both offensive and defensive.

Then again any Civ can get those potentially, aside from the UU/UA bonusses, and you have to sacrifice other policies/hammers/religion perks for it to become truly OP in pure defensive/combat strength.

The UA only works when staying small, compared to other civs so it all depends on map sizes and map types.

I'd say Japan's full combat strength when damaged or China's/Mongolia Great General/Khan bonus are more versatile for offensive warfare when it comes to unique civ boosts.

The ua gives Ethiopia a 20 % increase in attacks if the other empire is larger.The only op I see is maybe the stele that gives faith along with culture. The ua doesn't work if Ethiopia is larger than the other civilization.

Lat time I played Ethiopia, I got bashed by everyone for declaring war on Spain and Carthage, because they started killing off my city state allies (and Spain REALLY cheesed me off, insulting me ONE TURN AFTER MEETING ME) But yeah, Play smart, and you can shrug off most attackers/ defenders.

A while back someone did an OCC domination victory as Ethiopia, it was hilarious

Top Bottom