MOM crash

Yoadm

Warlord
Hi guys,

New to MOM and was wondering if you share the same problem: Sometimes when I try to load a game, or start a new game with a heavy map script, or just move past turn 70, the game crashes.

Any idea why?

Thank's

does it say why it crashes?

if you load an autosave shortly before the cash and it happens again, you should upload the savegame, so sephi can fix this bug in the future.

if the crash is mostly andom, i.e. not repeatable, it is probably a memory allocation failure (MAF). you can either reload and continue playing or choose smaller mapsizes in the future. we try to optimize the art files in future patches so the chances of MaF is reduced. there are also other ways to deal with them (i have not tried it, i never got mafs but people reporte that is helps):

Spoiler :

Using this solution involves editing system settings so watch out what you're doing.

Explanation:
If you're running a 32bit operating system and get the crashes while saving or otherwise dumping a lot of memory usage then it is most likely because of the fact that 32bit operating systems only provide an address space of 2GB to every user process running. It means that whenever memory usage for 1257 goes sky rocket it most likely exceeds 2GB and then you get the crash. The way to avoid crashing is configuring your OS to give more address space to process.

Windows XP
(click to show/hide)

* Menu Start -> Run, type sysdm.cpl and press ENTER
* a window should open, go to tab Advanced -> Startup and Recovery Settings -> Edit
* at this point you're editing your boot.ini file. Don't mess things up.
Look for the line with your operating system mentioned and add "/3GB /USERVA=2990" without quotes. Should look like this:

[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /3GB /USERVA=2990

just add only the "/3GB /USER...", don't erase or add anything else
* save changes and reboot

Windows Vista / Windows 7
(click to show/hide)

o if you are running as an Administrator go to Menu Start -> Run, type cmd and press ENTER
o if not go to Menu Start -> Programs -> Accessories, press RMB on Command Prompt and select Run as Administrator
* in Command Prompt type "bcdedit /set IncreaseUserVA 2990" without quotes and press ENTER
* reboot

EDIT:
It's so easy to forget about obvious things and just cut them out of the equation ;) Thanks Tina.
This solution probably won't work if your RAM and Virtual Memory summary is lower than 3gb. You can't do much about RAM but you can change the values of VM.

Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7 (or at least I think that the route is the same in each of these systems)
(click to show/hide)

* Menu Start -> Settings -> Control Panel -> System -> Advanced
* Performance -> Settings
* Advanced tab -> Change
The tricky part is setting the values right. Microsoft suggests (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308417 , Step 2) to set the minimal value as 1.5x of your RAM and maximal value as 3x your RAM. There's plenty of topics on the web with performances results and such revolving around this subject so... Google.
* Save, reboot

To revert the process (if something doesn't work):
Windows XP
(click to show/hide)

* a window should open, go to tab Advanced -> Startup and Recovery Settings -> Edit
Look for the line with your operating system mentioned and erase "/3GB /USERVA=2990". Should look something like this:

[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

erase only "/3GB /USERV...", don't delete anything else

(click to show/hide)

o if you are running as an Administrator go to Menu Start -> Run, type cmd and press ENTER
o if not go to Menu Start -> Programs -> Accessories, press RMB on Command Prompt and select Run as Administrator
* in Command Prompt type "bcdedit /set IncreaseUserVA 2048" without quotes and press ENTER
* reboot

i would also advice you to close most backgound programs if you don't need them.

does it say why it crashes?

if you load an autosave shortly before the cash and it happens again, you should upload the savegame, so sephi can fix this bug in the future.

if the crash is mostly andom, i.e. not repeatable, it is probably a memory allocation failure (MAF). you can either reload and continue playing or choose smaller mapsizes in the future. we try to optimize the art files in future patches so the chances of MaF is reduced. there are also other ways to deal with them (i have not tried it, i never got mafs but people reporte that is helps):

Spoiler :

Using this solution involves editing system settings so watch out what you're doing.

Explanation:
If you're running a 32bit operating system and get the crashes while saving or otherwise dumping a lot of memory usage then it is most likely because of the fact that 32bit operating systems only provide an address space of 2GB to every user process running. It means that whenever memory usage for 1257 goes sky rocket it most likely exceeds 2GB and then you get the crash. The way to avoid crashing is configuring your OS to give more address space to process.

Windows XP
(click to show/hide)

Look for the line with your operating system mentioned and add "/3GB /USERVA=2990" without quotes. Should look like this:

[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /3GB /USERVA=2990

just add only the "/3GB /USER...", don't erase or add anything else

(click to show/hide)

* in Command Prompt type "bcdedit /set IncreaseUserVA 2990" without quotes and press ENTER
* reboot

EDIT:
It's so easy to forget about obvious things and just cut them out of the equation ;) Thanks Tina.
This solution probably won't work if your RAM and Virtual Memory summary is lower than 3gb. You can't do much about RAM but you can change the values of VM.

Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7 (or at least I think that the route is the same in each of these systems)
(click to show/hide)

* Menu Start -> Settings -> Control Panel -> System -> Advanced
* Performance -> Settings
* Advanced tab -> Change
The tricky part is setting the values right. Microsoft suggests (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308417 , Step 2) to set the minimal value as 1.5x of your RAM and maximal value as 3x your RAM. There's plenty of topics on the web with performances results and such revolving around this subject so... Google.
* Save, reboot

To revert the process (if something doesn't work):
Windows XP
(click to show/hide)

Look for the line with your operating system mentioned and erase "/3GB /USERVA=2990". Should look something like this:

[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

erase only "/3GB /USERV...", don't delete anything else

(click to show/hide)

* in Command Prompt type "bcdedit /set IncreaseUserVA 2048" without quotes and press ENTER
* reboot

i would also advice you to close most backgound programs if you don't need them.

Thank's for the advice. I started a new game, but if it happens again, I'll definately upload the save for Sephi.

Edit: Game crashed while stating "memory alocation failure, bad alocation."

Yoadm,

There is a thread labeled "Memory Allocation Failures" here on this forum, search for it, and there should be some links, hints and tips to help you with these more specifically.

Is this on the wildmana forum or the general civfanatics forum? Im asking cause the problem is only related to WM/MOM, and nothing else.

Is this on the wildmana forum or the general civfanatics forum? Im asking cause the problem is only related to WM/MOM, and nothing else.

on the original Wild Mana download thread (it may have been renamed now), it should be the largest one. there may also be one started on the MoM. Some of these may have gotten transfered to our new MoM website/forum as well

www.masterofmana.com

this is a known issue with most of the FFH modmods, including FFH itself at times.

IIRC one link did lead back to a thread on the general forum.

on the original Wild Mana download thread (it may have been renamed now), it should be the largest one. there may also be one started on the MoM. Some of these may have gotten transfered to our new MoM website/forum as well

www.masterofmana.com

this is a known issue with most of the FFH modmods, including FFH itself at times.

IIRC one link did lead back to a thread on the general forum.

Well, I read the whole original thread, and found no solid solution to this problem (which exists for me only in MOM). There are a few pointers which include alot of technical advice I know little of (Im not a computer expert).

did you read and tried the spoiler in my first reply?

did you read and tried the spoiler in my first reply?

Hi, thank's yes, I tried: I ran CMD, typed "bcdedit /set IncreaseUserVA 2990"

and it said: The boot configeration date store could not be opened. Access is denied.

Is this because I did not run this as administrator? Because Im not sure how one does that.. :(

afaik you can always log on windows as an administrator:
Enable the Administrator Account

1. Open the command prompt with Administrative privileges by opening the Start Menu, and typing cmd in the search box, and then press Ctrl+Shift+Enter or click the Start orb, All Programs, Accessories, right-click Command Prompt and select Run as administrator.
2. Type the following in the command prompt and press Enter after:

net user administrator /active:yes
3. Restart your computer and logon as Administrator.

Note: You might want to set a password for the administrator’s account for at least a little protection.

source: http://maximumpcguides.com/windows-vista/logon-windows-vista-as-administrator/

edit: afaik you don't need to login as the admin, but your account must have admin rights. you should be able to see your rights in the account screen.
if you are using the computer of your parents or sombody else, they may have only ganted you rights as a normal user.

afaik you can always log on windows as an administrator:

source: http://maximumpcguides.com/windows-vista/logon-windows-vista-as-administrator/

edit: afaik you don't need to login as the admin, but your account must have admin rights. you should be able to see your rights in the account screen.
if you are using the computer of your parents or sombody else, they may have only ganted you rights as a normal user.

Ok, I managed to run as admin, and the response was:
"The element data type specified is not recognized, or does not apply to the specified entry. Run "bcdedit /?" for command line assistance.

This is surprising because I precisely wrote: "bcdedit /set InceaseUserVA 2990".

Did I do anything wrong?

Top Bottom