Top Ten Medieval Battles

Oh no he wasn't like that at all. I thought he gave a really balanced look at the rise and history of Islam. I just remember we had a lengthy discusion on Poitiers and why it was A Big F*ing Deal.

Wait, this is a certified history professor who said this?

Oh no he wasn't like that at all. I thought he gave a really balanced look at the rise and history of Islam. I just remember we had a lengthy discusion on Poitiers and why it was A Big F*ing Deal.

My Islamic teacher was this nice lady from Egypt. And the class was pretty good, except that she made Islam extremely rosy and they never ever did anything bad ever.

Yes. Poitiers is, like most of these battles listed, a big f*ing deal, just not for the reasons usually listed.

I listed Clontarf, which is usually trotted out as a great victory of the Christian Irish over the Pagan Danes driving the "vikings" from Ireland forever. It of course did absolutely no such thing.

It's still really important for a bunch of reasons, such as Brian's inability to form a lasting political legacy for his son and sept, but not because of some "clash of civilizations"

It effected the political career of Charles Martell, which had a few later consequences down the line...

Though now that I think about it, if this was about the rise of Islam, that does seem out of place. Certainly wasn't any more important than say, Kulikovo or any other battle you could pull out of nowhere.

Yes. Poitiers is, like most of these battles listed, a big f*ing deal, just not for the reasons usually listed.

I listed Clontarf, which is usually trotted out as a great victory of the Christian Irish over the Pagan Danes driving the "vikings" from Ireland forever. It of course did absolutely no such thing.

It's still really important for a bunch of reasons, such as Brian's inability to form a lasting political legacy for his son and sept, but not because of some "clash of civilizations"

It effected the political career of Charles Martell, which had a few later consequences down the line...

Though now that I think about it, if this was about the rise of Islam, that does seem out of place. Certainly wasn't any more important than say, Kulikovo or any other battle you could pull out of nowhere.

..but, BUT a University professor said it was a big deal! I'm right!

Needless to say, the most important battle in the history of the Universe was the battle on the field of Kulikovo (1380), where ~70k of heavenly Russian warriors faced the ungodly swarms of Mongol dogs ~150k strong. With the help of the Holy Trinity the force of evil was soundly defeated and angels rejoiced in Heaven.

A thread without pics - time wasted in vain:

Spoiler :

Monument on the field

Commemorative coin

Sorry guys for the interruption. I didn't intend to make more than one post in this thread.
But, well...
*sigh*

Apparently you like it more than tolerance of minorities (including religious minorities).
Those are not necessarily contradictory.
Good to know. "Secularism" was not among the founding ideas of democracy - "tolerance" was.
Aha. So you were there the day James Earl Jeremiah McDemocracy filed the patent?
And by the way you apparently have a distorted view on what "secularism" is.
Is this supposed to be an argument? :huh:
Secularism is a feature of a state - not of its inhabitants. Poland is a secular state too (even though majority of inhabitants are religious).

Turkey is a secular state too (it has, for example, secular legal systemy - contrary to other states in the region which have law based on Quran).
Debatable. Don't get me wrong: It's debatable for Germany and Turkey, too.
They like secular state. But I don't think that most Turks are atheists.
Who claimed that?
You feel those two would be related?
Yeap. That's what I thought. That's why I don't understand those who don't like Turkey to join the European Union.

But they should stop denying the Armenian Genocide first.
I agree. They should.
But doesn't it matter to you whether they do so as result of insight or as a result of our effective coercion?

Please take note of the difference between our posts:
You made a claim that was based on hearsay (the anecdotes of your cousin).
I offered some qualification. You in return felt it was necessary to engage in all kinds of fallacies and speculations about either my knowledge or my character.

Quackers said:
..but, BUT a University professor said it was a big deal! I'm right!
You were right for all the wrong reasons.

Veles said:

<3

Wait, you can put cyrillic into URLs? I hate the internet now.

Paste &#1075;&#1091;&#1075;&#1083;.&#1088;&#1092; into the adress bar and see what happens.

Russians gonna rush, though.

It can be confusing at times.

Ur welcome

Legnica was unimportant outside Poland and its nearest neighbourhood, and even in Poland it was important only because duke Henry lost his live there (had he survived the battle, it would have been of no any long-term importance at all) - it should be replaced by the battle of Mohi in Hungary.

What do you mean no importance at all? If Henry lived, Silesia would've been a part of Poland, and there was a good possibility that Poland would've been reunified much earlier.

I'll throw in the Battle on the Marchfeld (1278). It ended the P&#345;emyslid ambitions in HRE and enabled a rise of the nobodies from the House of Hapsburg.

I second this. Though I don't know if it can be considered major for the battle itself or more for it's historical implications.

Yes? Were Canadians not major participants in the D-Day landings?

The way it is taught here, you'd think Canada won the D-Day invasion on their own.

Needless to say, the most important battle in the history of the Universe was the battle on the field of Kulikovo (1380), where ~70k of heavenly Russian warriors faced the ungodly swarms of Mongol dogs ~150k strong. With the help of the Holy Trinity the force of evil was soundly defeated and angels rejoiced in Heaven.

Spoiler :

By any chance, is that picture from a game or something? And if so, are there more?

Nope, it's the actual photo from Kulikovo reenactment. Not even shopped. I'll look for more.

Wait, this is a certified history professor who said this?

You realize that history professors, especially if they're quite old, can say lots of awfully inaccurate things. My history professor from my last semester in school taught that the Daily Telegraph Affair was the primary impetus for the First World War, and also that there was the Schlieffen Plan.

Also, Niall Ferguson.

Link to video.

:lmao: Hilarious at times. Does anybody know is this how actual medieval infantry openspace combat worked?

Link to video.

:lmao: Hilarious at times. Does anybody know is this how actual medieval infantry openspace combat worked?
Usually, you'd only see a big block of white if it were snowing really hard during the battle.

So you close your eyes and run forward waving your sword extensively hoping you won't spot a friendly warrior. And then bang - you dead. Or won. Those were the days :lmao:

edit: fixed. I hope.

Top Bottom