[OOC] Corpus Jurus Civilis (Team Merlot's Code of Law)

ash88

Hail to the King Baby -DN
A Corpus Juris Civilis of

Team MERLOT

(Recommended Background Music While You Read) 1 2 3 4

Herodius said:
"A multitude of rulers is not a good thing. Let there be one ruler, one King."

IMPORTANT NOTE: OOC, MODERATION, AND THIS THREAD
This is a heavily moderated Out of Character [OOC] thread where you may ask questions, discuss, or otherwise heap high praise on the author of Team Merlot's Corpus Juris Civilis. However, if anyone takes it upon themselves to use this space to publicly rally support to their grab for the Throne, however subtle, the Administrator will simply indicate that the particular comment was made In Character [IC] and then the King will be free to do what he will with you. Otherwise, this is a place where you can talk freely (and generally) about the structure of the team without worrying about pissing off the current King because you forgot to say something like, "Of course whatever the King says goes!"

The Short and Sweet
Team Merlot is an absolute Monarchy. As such all members of Team Merlot suspend any perceived rights to freedom of speech, freedom of self expression, being treated "fairly," or any other such modern nonsense. Commoners are common. Team members are the nobility and closer to God. But our King is appointed by God. And who are you to argue with God? That’s right – you are nobody. Got it? Good.

Mission Statement
We all know democracy doesn't work online so we re-embrace the truest rule, Monarchy. (I want to farm some wine anyways). Crushing serfs under your oppressive heel sound appealing to you? Of course it does, you play Civ4. Our mission is to win and have a smashing good time doing it. To ensure glorious victory we submit to a structure for team government that resembles what actually happens with internet game teams.

Basic Structure
The Team Captain (The King) depends on a plurality of ongoing support from everyone on the team and in return he exerts absolute power. The Administrator holds the King accountable impartialy through a reoccuring succession ballot where the King must continue to hold a plurality of support. The Administrator also ensures that vital information is passed from a King to his successor and that the continuity of the Team is maintained.

A. The Administrator to the Throne (aka "The Administrator")
I. Is elected by a plurality in a poll at the outset of a game over 48 hours and sits until such a time as:
a) He chooses to step down from the position and institutes a request for candidate replacements who will be elected.
b) He fails to preform in his role as demonstrated by the election of another candidate by simple majority anytime by a public poll over 48 hours.
c) The game finishes.
II. Is reponsible for,
a) Holding the succession ballot
b) Ensuring impartiality in his role and office
c) Maintaining a record of information vital to the team and passing it between successors to the Throne
d) Casting the deciding vote in the case of a tie.
e) Moderating the forums as per the totaliarian spirit of the team
f) Beginning and moderating OOC threads.
III. The Administrator may not,
a) Hold the throne
b) Have any other position, authority, or title
c) Send any private communication to the King (directly or through a third party)
d) Claim any in game power
e) Let his actions or decisions be influenced with partiality to any party (except in a tie breaking vote)
IV. To prevent the negative absence of a King the Administrator may,
a) Determine that the King is officially missing at any time by calling a 48 hour succession ballot immediately.
b) Act responsibly in the role of "Steward of Merlot" for that 48 hour duration with all the Powers of the King, ensuring to play turns, delegate responsibilities (etc.) while leaving as little impact as possible in his good judgement.

B. The King (aka "Acting Team Captain")
I. attains the throne by a plurality of support from the nobles demonstrated through a succession ballot held by the Administrator. He retains control of the throne until such time as:
a) He chooses to step down at which time The Administrator immediately holds the succession ballot (and may act as the Stewart of Merlot if the King becomes immediately unavailable).
b) He is advised by the Administrator that he lacks the support of the nobles and is forced to step down (as indicated by an "OVERTHROW" email tally as detailed in the succession vote section).
II. The King has absolute power over all of Team Merlot in so far as:
a) All actions in game, within the rulings of the game admins, acting as the ultimate and sole decision maker
b) All forum activity and moderation, except over the Administrator in his role as Administrator, and also within the existing guidelines set down by the forum moderators. He may delete entire posts which are not to his pleasure as the forums represent his court.
c) All Team activites and responsibilities as acting Team Captain.
d) All flavour and direction of House Merlot within the bounds of the Monarch-y feel and constraints of the Corpus Juris Civilis.
III. The King does not have the power to:
a) In any way alter or interpret the Corpus Juris Civilis of House Merlot.
b) Evict any member from Team Merlot.
c) Affect the running of the Succession ballot.
d) Change the Monarch-y feel of House Merlot.
e) Affect the Administrator of his role.
f) Open OOC threads.
IV. The King is expected to:
a) Inform the Administrator of any information that would need to be passed on to a successor as soon as the information is recieved - not when the Throne is lost.
b) Involve the Administrator in the set up of any accounts that would be passed to future Kings (email, etc) so that password reminders (etc) are not tied to the current King but rather the Administrator.
c) Respect and uphold the impartiality of the Administrator

C. The Founder (Aka "Ash88")
I. Founds the team at the beginning of each game and makes the initial recruitment posts.
II. Author of the Corpus Juris Civilis.
a) Revises the Corpus Juris Civilis at his sole discretion, ideally between games.
b) Makes changes to the Corpus Juris Civilis.
c) Makes all interpretations of the Corpus Jurus Civilis.
III. Acts as the unelected Administrator for a time in Team Merlot's first game in order to ensure an unconfused start.
IV. Recieves free wine from all of Team Merlot whenever they visit Ancaster, Ontario, Canada for the rest of their life (when possible). :)

D. The Nobility (Aka "Team Members")
I. Any member of Team Merlot may unrestrainedly,
a) Read the forums
b) Send private messages
c) claim the Throne (attempt to become King/Team Captain) every 15 turns
d) support a claim for the throne, or the sitting King (who's claim is assumed).
e) speak against the King in private messages
f) gain support for themselves or another King in private messages
II. With the Kings continuing permission any member of Team Merlot may,
a) Post on the forums
b) offer advice on how to proceed in game
c) found a noble sub-house of house merlot
d) get involved by designing coats of arms, noble crests, fancy titles, etc.
e) Your imagination is the limit. Keep the Monarch feel of our team!
III. Members of the nobility may not,
a) Post in the forums if they have been ordered by the current King to be silent.
b) Intentionally screw up/with anything in game.
c) Speak against the King (however subtle) in the forums or any other public place.
d) Open OOC threads.

E. The Succession Ballot
I. The Administrator is bound to hold a succession ballot
a) Every 15 turns (with a couple turns grace occasionally for personal circumstances for the Administrator)
b) Upon recieving a private message from over 50% of the registered members of team merlot which includes over 75% of members who had previously supported the King in the previous ballot indicating "OVERTHROW" in the subject.
c) At the Administrators discretion if he feels the King has gone Missing In Action.
II. In order to hold the Ballot the Administrator must
a) Post a message to all members of Team Merlot indicating that a Private Message must be sent to the Administrator within 48 hours with the details of their claim of the throne or the name of the King whom they would support.
b) If a new King has been chosen then before posting those details send him a private message with all of the details prepping him for the Throne. This will be the last private message from the Administrator to that individual.
c) Recieve all the private messages and write a Coronation letter which details the nobles choices as well as the results.
d) If a new King has been chosen then update the information in the Publically accessible forums so that all may know who the new team captain is.

Drink wine. Have fun. Post. What more is there?

I have posted this to clarify the vision for this team and to empower our current King and all future Kings. I admit I am in an odd situation - I founded a team and then immediately relinquished my hat as "Team Captain" to someone else - an "elected" representative - without even running myself. That may cause some confusion I want to dispell.

My goal is to create a team that functions like teams naturally function on the internet, but with a level of accountability and full disclosure so everyone understands exactly how they can get involved. To me that makes it more fun. That was why the role of the Administrator was created.

The reason that I made it so that no one could "speak against the King" in public or the like was because I didn't want our forums dominated with people trying to become King and undermining the current King. We had to stay focused on the game in the forums and not on political infighting. No, anyone that wanted the throne would need to gain support privately. Harder to do, which it should be - because that meant when it was gained it would be more stable.

That is some of the rationale for why things were set up the way they were. In my eyes this is a cool social experiment. It's already become more then the sum of its parts with people doing cool monarchy kinds of things with it.

Inevitably formalizing these guidelines is an important step towards me stepping down as Administrator - not that it is an imminent thing, I do plan on hosting a few more coronations at least! (Is anyone interested in the role? I'm curious - send me a PM).

As I said, with some of the cool directions this team is going I think this is the coolest, most imaginative team going. I'm excited. Let's win :)

Top Bottom