Man Made Global Warming is a Media Made Myth

In the link I posted:

You apparently completely misunderstand my position.

Therefore it's pretty clear that humanity is causing some global warming. The real question is "how much?"

I am agreeing with this statement.

There are many professions besides science that equip you to understand the basic principles of climate change.

Is that right? Such as?

I think most 4th graders could comprehend that. The deniers typically only see the problems of addressing the issue, blinding themselves to the dangers of ignoring it.

I think most 4th graders regurgitate whatever opinions their teachers and others they respect put into their heads, much like many adults.

Furthermore, I am not a denier. I am a skeptic largely because I was actually educated in the hard sciences. As far as I'm concerned, the jury is still out on the actual dangers of anthro CO2, and perhaps even more importantly, how much we can actually reduce it without bankrupting the world economy.

Furthermore, I am not a denier. I am a skeptic largely because I was actually educated in the hard sciences. As far as I'm concerned, the jury is still out on the actual dangers of anthro CO2, and probably more importantly, how much we can actually reduce it without bankrupting the world economy.

Can you refute the basic principles that I outlined?

What "hard sciences" leads you to believe that addressing global warming will bankrupt the world economy? You also seem to see addressing it as being politically motivated. What evidence do you have to support that view?

Formaldehyde: can you point out where you expound upon your scientific skepticism regarding AGW? What component of the theory do you think is not reasonable? What alternate theory do you have for the results?

Because, so far I associate your 'skepticism' with basically bad-mouthing various organisations or espousing political doctrine. While political theory may make you skeptical, you've now brought up scientific skepticism, and I'm curious as to what you bring to the table.

El_Machinae said:
Masada, if you look at the short-term graphs, things actually look worse than they are. Though I wonder why you think we don't know what the climate was like over 200 years ago? There are numerous ways to figure that out.

... short term volatility? If I looked at my localities temperature for the last 8 months I could deduce that global warming was in effect, it was getting considerably warmer! Of course that might have more to do with entering the wet season with its accompanying rise in temperatures and humidity which is part of a natural cycle. The micro climate here goes through a full cycle every 300 or so years the total length of European settlement here is all of 140 years (I can't remember precisely when official records were first kept but ~1900 is about right). The whole of my territory is apparently double the size of Texas. We boast meteorological records for... maybe two stations total for the entirety of that area from ~1900 to ~1950. The rest of Australia is about as bad there is a heavy predominance of coastal stations near growing population centers which haven't ever been properly calibrated for urban heat sink except to run a bunch of pseudo-scientific statistical analysis which are based upon *shrugs*? The interior, that is the majority of the continent has next to no meteorological data to work with. Australia is the sixth largest country and a continent in its own result and we have reliable climate records which can go no further back than 1788 and are spatially confined to a narrow coastal strip outside of the occasional settlement in the inland. Satellites give us reliable data for the whole continent... for how long?

You end up with much the same result with Russia, Africa, Alaska and South America. The only reliable records we have for the entirety of an area are Europe and 'America' and I use that term broadly given how spotty the coverage is. Proxies can only fill in so many gaps, they can only be so useful, they can only be approximated to global climate so much or regional climate or what-have-you. I could get better results with my models for South-East Asian trade from ~400AD to ~1000AD using coins, official Chinese records, travelers accounts, hearsay, conjecture and whatever else I have open to me. I'm also willing to acknowledge mine is at best an educated stab in the dark dressed up in pseudo-scientific principles. I know the rules of the game, I know how people traded, what they pegged prices to, how they interacted, when they arrived, when they left etc. But I don't know the specifics, I don't know how many people left, how many arrived etc. Climate modeling and more precisely climate change science is stuck by this same data constraint. It cannot be any more accurate without having more data or understanding the system more. Even in the second case it can only be so much more accurate with a concurrent increase in data quality.

I'm not saying that the basic principles or advanced principles underlying the science are wrong. I won't take the liberty to say so. What I am not convinced of is the veracity of the modeling which they use to actually make accurate predictions.

El_Machinae said:
And the UN's IPCC is a necessary beast, because we're only going to get solutions to polluting the Commons through a global set of treaties. There's no other system or entity by which to enact these changes.

I like the IPCC report it is by far the most rigorous, comprehensive and robust work on the subject currently available. I use it a base for examining anything else that comes out. If someone says an average increase in global temperatures of 4 degrees in ten years I look at the IPCC report and wonder how big the margin of error in these things are. I'm not 95% confident, I'm not 90% confident, I'm probably only 50% confident in the findings (with a fairly significant error margin implied) in the results of the IPCC. That isn't to say that I don't think AGW isn't happening. I'm merely content to wonder by how much and by methodological basis are you arriving at these figures.

Formaldehyde said:
I think most 4th graders regurgitate whatever opinions their teachers and others they respect put into their tiny little heads, much like many adults.

Quite. Try and explain basic economic principles to 4th graders... *shudders*

Formaldehyde said:
Furthermore, I am not a denier. I am a skeptic largely because I was actually educated in the hard sciences. As far as I'm concerned, the jury is still out on the actual dangers of anthro CO2, and probably more importantly, how much we can actually reduce it without bankrupting the world economy.

I'm of a similar position.

Formaldehyde said:
Is that right? Such as?

If your inclined to look at the stunning success of economics models... you'll understand my concerns about climate change modeling.

Murky said:

Can you explain the role of cloud cover? Solar Radiation? Water Vapor?

Can you explain the role of cloud cover? Solar Radiation? Water Vapor?

You're evading the basic principles of the green house effect with these questions.

There's no doubt that the global climate is a complex beast to model. As far as I know, no serious studies have shown a definitive correlation between these and dramatic changes in global temperature increase or decrease. I recall one group of deniers trying to claim that light from stars, outside our solar system, had a dramatic effect on our climate. From what I can tell most of the kooks are on the side of the AGW deniers/skeptics.

It's a large number relative to what?
It translates to an increase of 2.54 ppm per annum (2002-2003 figures).

I'm inclined to say that it is the entirety of what we are emitting that is the problem, given [CO2] never exceeding 280 ppm and the climate's cyclical constancy over the last 1 million years.

IMHO, we probably can only mitigate the effects of GW. (i.e.: Partial de-glaciation instead of total.)

For one thing, they are not all principles. The first three could be considered to be such in a very simplistic understanding of greenhouse gases and their roles in climatic change. But the last two are certainly not.

And that's my basic complaint about the "man is destroying the world" crowd. You (collectively) think you have all the answers but you don't even know what the real questions are.

What "hard sciences" leads you to believe that addressing global warming will bankrupt the world economy?

How would you propose reducing anthro CO2 by a sizeable degree without doing so?

You also seem to see addressing it as being politically motivated. What evidence do you have to support that view?

You are kidding, right?

Formaldehyde: can you point out where you expound upon your scientific skepticism regarding AGW? What component of the theory do you think is not reasonable? What alternate theory do you have for the results.

I'm fairly certain I have posted this video before:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=288952680655100870

Let me dig up some contrarian scientific theories for you even though you are probably already familiar with them...

EDIT: Here we go. As usual, Wikipedia does a fairly admirable job...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...tream_scientific_assessment_of_global_warming

My personal favorite is a combination of natural processes, such as solar radiation changes and natural ice age cycles. I am also quite skeptical in the amount of temperature change which is directly attributable to anthro CO2.

Murky said:
You're evading the basic principles of the green house effect with these questions.

I'm merely showing how your basic principles are more complex than it would appear. You can't give fourth graders a balanced scientific opinion at best you will give them an incomplete picture which is liable to cause problems and at worst you are going to be indulging in some indoctrination. In any case where have I purported to disagree with those basic "principles"?

Kerozine said:
It translates to an increase of 2.54 ppm per annum (2002-2003 figures).

I'm inclined to say that it is the entirety of what we are emitting that is the problem, given [CO2] never exceeding 280 ppm and the climate's cyclical constancy over the last 1 million years.

Useful figures. Thank you.

Why not view something like this tripe with an ounce of skepticism? :crazyeye:

This is the response I think sums it all up quite well.
Volume 20 of the Bulletin of the Australian Meteorological and Oceanographic Society presented a critique by David Jones, Andrew Watkins, Karl Braganza and Michael Coughlan.

The Great Global Warming Swindle does not represent the current state of knowledge in climate science… Many of the hypotheses presented in the Great Global Warming Swindle have been considered and rejected by due scientific process. This documentary is far from an objective, critical examination of climate science. Instead the Great Global Warming Swindle goes to great lengths to present outdated, incorrect or ambiguous data in such a way as to grossly distort the true understanding of climate change science, and to support a set of extremely controversial views.

Holy CRAP. The Great Global Warming Swindle! :rotfl:
Dude, you've been had.

I haven't seen someone reference that for months!

Form, that film is up there with Loose Change and Expelled! It's THE piece of propaganda people point to when talking about obfuscatory deception on the AGW issue.

Yeah, I'm attacking the source. But that movie is THAT bad. It's like, so outrageously bad that there's nothing redeeming about it.

You've been tricked by it, seriously. There's a bunch of thinking on AGW you'll have to undo if you didn't see through the lies in that movie.

:lol:

Saying it snowed in Texas and thus the world is not warming is as valid as saying Katrina was a freak and thus the oceans must be warming.

Katrina was a freak. She let me do all sorts of things I wanted to do for the longest time.

- George W. Bush

Why not view something like this tripe with an ounce of skepticism? :crazyeye:

This is the response I think sums it all up quite well.

Isn't that the most hilarious part of it? People who are skeptics of certain things aren't skeptical enough of their own alternative viewpoint.

the effects of CO2 in the atmosphere pale in comparison to the effects of fluctuating sun surface temperatures. I truly believe we are about to start getting colder. I have lived in Washington State almost all my life, and snow has become more and more common every year. (I know, who needs anecdotes when people have hard numbers over an anecdotal period of time in comparison to geological time?)

Furthermore, it is no surprise to me that anthropogenic global warming supporters are mostly urban, and their detractors mostly rural. People in cities seem to think their cities are massive, and that the amount of cars are world crowding. Looking at the American highway system, as vast amount of highway area at any time, is not covered by a car producing CO2. Furthermore, the actual percentage of area (paved areas, factories and power plants) producing CO2 is infinitesimal compared to the overall area of the Earth.

And it can not be forgotten that the thermal vents and volcanoes of the Earth produce greenhouse gasses scales greater than man made emissions.

That said, our current economy is wasteful, and creates local pollution. That cannot be denied, and this local pollution causes disease and death. Our economy rewards waste of energy in exchange for economic imbalance. It is of global imperative that we continue to strive for ecologically safe and clean energy sources. We really have no control over the climate of the Earth without wholesale nuclear detonations, but we must be better stewards of our environment, or we may destroy our modern world and its progress.

I guess what I am saying is it is quite moot whether or not global warming is man made.

I just thought I'd mention that the Ice Ages are thought to have had warmer winters with less snow (since the cooler summers mean less evaporation), so global warming fits with more snow and colder winters rather well.

one factor is precession, the northern hemisphere's summers can occur at varying distances from the sun and our summers now are closer. But during the last ice advance I believe the southern hemisphere was having their summers closer to the sun. But why would global warming produce colder winters? The increased cloud cover?
Global dimming "masking" global warming? ;)

one factor is precession, the northern hemisphere's summers can occur at varying distances from the sun and our summers now are closer. But during the last ice advance I believe the southern hemisphere was having their summers closer to the sun. But why would global warming produce colder winters? The increased cloud cover?
Global dimming "masking" global warming? ;)

There was actually a Nova about this in relation to cleaner forms of fossil fuel consumption in terms of particulate matter revealing global warming from dimming.

Why not view something like this tripe with an ounce of skepticism? :crazyeye:.

As you view the issue of global warming...:lol:

Form, that film is up there with Loose Change and Expelled! It's THE piece of propaganda people point to when talking about obfuscatory deception on the AGW issue.:

Um, nope. Not even close. To claim that only shows you didn't even bother to watch it before trying to discredit the producers instead of addressing the issues it presents. Are you claiming all the scientists in the documentary are also engaging in "obfuscatory deception" as well?

Here I am agreeing with Glenn Beck, of all people...

Link to video.

And what do you have to say about Al Gore's "An Inconvenient Truth Lie"?

Link to video.

As you view the issue of global warming...:lol:

I have read some books written by the skeptics and I've seen that video before. The only thing it convinced me of is that the deniers are extremely biased. They want to believe it their way and no amount of scientific debunking of their claims will change their views. They cherry pick the data to support their beliefs. Thankfully these crackpots are in the minority. The only people who take them seriously are people who choose to for short-term political or economic reasons.

Top Bottom