It's Election Season in Canada(?)

Who would you vote for?

• Total voters
Don't they teach you Canadians how your government works ?
You have a Westminster type system with a GG etc.
If Harper loses a vote of confidence an election is NOT automatic unless due.
Governor-General David Johnston has the power to say to Harper no, no election until the leader of the opposition has had the chance to see if he /she can form a government and to see if it has the confidence of the house.
If the GG does not do that one would then have to wonder about how neutral he is.
Your last GG made a bad error in allowing Harper to shut parliament down before a vote of confidence was taken.
The campaigning has already begun, the Conservatives have put ~$26 million of public money towards their own ads iirc.

what is so bad about the conservatives anyway?

For starters, they have done very little to curb pollution, Alberta (probably the most conservative province) has a huge oil and gas industry which is trying hard to hide its true environmental destruction, they would like to expand the prison system (when we have an all time low crime rate) instead of doing something to actually reduce crime (prison does very little), and other reasons I haven't really read up on yet.

EDIT: And as above Harper would love to get rid of a number of social advancements that have been made, such as legalizing gay marriage.

I'll probably vote Liberal for two reasons.
a) They're the main opposition party and if I want the Conservatives out of office it would make sense to vote for them and not "split" the vote to the Green Party or the NDP...
b) In my riding the only party that has a chance at taking it back from the Conservatives is a Liberal candidate. The other two parties (i'm not counting the Bloc) don't stand a chance.

I so want to run as a Bloc candidate outside Quebec.

Is that what that was when Trudeau danced behind the Queen?? ;)

Trudeau is the best politician of all time.

For starters, they have done very little to curb pollution, Alberta (probably the most conservative province) has a huge oil and gas industry which is trying hard to hide its true environmental destruction, they would like to expand the prison system (when we have an all time low crime rate) instead of doing something to actually reduce crime (prison does very little), and other reasons I haven't really read up on yet.

EDIT: And as above Harper would love to get rid of a number of social advancements that have been made, such as legalizing gay marriage.

I'm under the impression, though it could be faulty, that there's not much the federal government can do about Alberta's destructive practices.

edit: voted non-Canadian, Liberal Party. I would consider voting Green if torries weren't somewhat competitive in this riding.

The campaigning has already begun, the Conservatives have put ~$26 million of public money towards their own ads iirc.

Not only that, but the lengths the Harper Government has gone to hide costs, documentation and even forge documents is shameful....

Au contraire, they know that fighting it would damage their poll numbers so they're keep schtum on it for now. If they can change the political climate on that issue, they will bring it back up.

Then it's as good as dead. The question has been settled and there's no way that's becoming an issue to be revisited again

As it stands, I would vote for either the Liberals or the NDP. But the Liberals are off to a very bad start by announcing their support for the Quebec city arena funding..

Then it's as good as dead. The question has been settled and there's no way that's becoming an issue to be revisited again

I wish you were right, but you have no idea how well financed this party is (mostly by religious fundamentalists) and how advanced their propaganda is.

The progressive Canada that everyone knew is in serious jeopardy.

How the hell are they going to convince people to revoke existing marriages and block new ones? Just won't happen. Now that it's the status quo, most people don't care and will think anyone bringing it up again is a little weird.

This is Canada, things do not have to make sense.

I don't think that matters, politics is politics anywhere, and settled issues become very very hard to revisit.

I wish you were right, but you have no idea how well financed this party is (mostly by religious fundamentalists) and how advanced their propaganda is.

The progressive Canada that everyone knew is in serious jeopardy.

To be clear to international audiences, torries got 37% of the voting population last election, while NDP + Liberals + Green got over 50%. For that 37%, Harper got 46% of the seats while the left 3 parties got 37% of the House.

FPTP has them near a majority of the government with a minority of the vote.

FPTP has them near a majority of the government with a minority of the vote.

This is why we need to follow the lead of our cousins in the Southern Hemisphere and move to a better voting system.

I personally favour STV, as used in Aus, over MMP as used in NZ.

This is why we need to follow the lead of our cousins in the Southern Hemisphere and move to a better voting system.

I personally favour STV, as used in Aus, over MMP as used in NZ.

I would love a system like this. An added bonus would be the destruction of the torries as we know them.

As it stands, I would vote for either the Liberals or the NDP. But the Liberals are off to a very bad start by announcing their support for the Quebec city arena funding..

What's that all about? I saw something about it on the skyscrapercity forums but didn't really pay attention

I would love a system like this. An added bonus would be the destruction of the torries as we know them.

Any system that does that would get my vote

Top Bottom