It's Election Season in Canada(?)

Who would you vote for?

• Total voters
Canadian elections are always ridiculous :p
Of course they are. Since elections always bring out a lot of anger in people over various party policies and platforms, we have to find some reason to laugh about it.

Is that what that was when Trudeau danced behind the Queen?? ;)
That was probably the most famous pirouette in Canadian history, moreso than the best one ever done by the most elite ballerina. :D

what is so bad about the conservatives anyway?
Have you got a few hours? :rolleyes:

I could live with a Conservative government, but Stephen Harper has to go.
The thing is, the present "Conservatives" are not real Conservatives. They're Reform-Alliance party members calling themselves Conservatives. The only true Conservative I would respect as Prime Minister these days is Joe Clark - and it's highly unlikely he would stand a chance with all the current schemers and backstabbers. It's like the '80s all over again as far as he's concerned, and I would actually be surprised if he came out of whatever it is he's doing now to get back into politics.

The campaigning has already begun, the Conservatives have put ~$26 million of public money towards their own ads iirc.
Which I have never seen. Turns out there actually are blessings in not having a working TV after all. :D

I so want to run as a Bloc candidate outside Quebec.
Count me among those still confused as to how the BQ could possibly be considered a "Federal" party when they only run candidates in one province, and their mandate is to break up the country. I didn't know whether to laugh, cry, or curse when the Bloc became Her Majesty's Loyal Opposition back in the '90s.

Trudeau is the best politician of all time.
:love: Every time we have some kind of crisis either in the country or in the world where Canada is heavily involved (ie. 9/11), I wish Trudeau was still alive and still Prime Minister. My first thought, when I see the bumbling around that the later PMs did, is "Trudeau would have known what to do!"

I'm under the impression, though it could be faulty, that there's not much the federal government can do about Alberta's destructive practices.
There isn't much the Albertans can do, either. The provincial government doesn't care. The most recent example of how much they don't care is when they shrugged off the plight of a building full of condo owners who were evacuated in a 10-minute time frame, around midnight, because their building was about to fall down. This is in Fort McMurray, where all the new construction is going on due to the oil boom. So the government allows and encourages a population boom there as well, shady contractors come in and build horribly shoddy housing, unsuspecting people buy in, and then this happens. They ask for the government to help them - since housing is scarce in Fort McMurray - and even though their local MLA wants to help them, the relevant government minister shrugged it off and said it's not his problem.

Then it's as good as dead. The question has been settled and there's no way that's becoming an issue to be revisited again
I wish you were right, but you have no idea how well financed this party is (mostly by religious fundamentalists) and how advanced their propaganda is.

The progressive Canada that everyone knew is in serious jeopardy.

How the hell are they going to convince people to revoke existing marriages and block new ones? Just won't happen. Now that it's the status quo, most people don't care and will think anyone bringing it up again is a little weird.
This is Canada, things do not have to make sense.
Maybe, with Stockwell Day retiring, things will make a little bit more sense. However, that's balanced by Jason Kenney not retiring, so no real gain is likely. :(

Screw reform. I really am one of few remaining advocates of FPTP. I voted for STV in the BC referendum, but I won't have any of that at the federal level.
FPTP is why I have never adequately had my own views represented in either Edmonton or Ottawa. If I know the name of the Red Deer candidate who will be running, I automatically know who will win here - because it would never occur to most of the Red Deer voters to vote anything but Conservative.

:love: Every time we have some kind of crisis either in the country or in the world where Canada is heavily involved (ie. 9/11), I wish Trudeau was still alive and still Prime Minister. My first thought, when I see the bumbling around that the later PMs did, is "Trudeau would have known what to do!"

You are an odd westerner.

Joe Clark! Now there's a guy I would have loved to see be Prime Minister (for longer than nine months). It's too bad he lacked the slime necessary to succeed in politics.

It seems that all the Albertans from CFC are rabid anti-Conservatives :p

It's not just being rabidly anti-Conservative, but Albertans in love with Trudeau?

My mom, growing up in Delaware, was also in love with Trudeau.

It's not just being rabidly anti-Conservative, but Albertans in love with Trudeau?

My mom, growing up in Delaware, was also in love with Trudeau.

Well I'm a bit too young to remember Trudeau, but I do love him for the pirouette behind the queen.

That's fine, but just be aware in practice, that optional preferencing is almost indestinguishable from First Past The Post.

I don't know what you mean. There are currently constituencies where MPs are elected with as little as 29.13% of the popular vote. Unacceptable. There are also many constituencies where candidates win with well over 50% of the vote. Indistinguishable from FPTP, sure, but perfectly acceptable considering it's a democracy.

Count me among those still confused as to how the BQ could possibly be considered a "Federal" party when they only run candidates in one province, and their mandate is to break up the country. I didn't know whether to laugh, cry, or curse when the Bloc became Her Majesty's Loyal Opposition back in the '90s.

Think of it as a party advocating regional/provincial interests at the Federal level. Secession is what they advocate, but that is ultimately a provincial matter/decision (unless the rest of Canada kicks Quebec out of Confederation or something).

My grandmother had quite a crush on him. :mischief: My grandfather had a lot of respect for him because he went out and saw so much of the world for himself. It didn't seem to matter which country he went to - he looked and behaved with confidence.

It was Trudeau who said, "The State has no place in the bedrooms of the nation." That was over 40 years ago, when gay sex was removed from the Criminal Code. The current government (or at least the one we had before it fell this morning) would love to repeal all the gains of the last 40 years.

The thing is, the present "Conservatives" are not real Conservatives. They're Reform-Alliance party members calling themselves Conservatives. The only true Conservative I would respect as Prime Minister these days is Joe Clark - and it's highly unlikely he would stand a chance with all the current schemers and backstabbers.

Of present day Conservatives, Jim Prentice would have made a fine moderate choice to lead that party, which is probably why Harper had him ousted.

A few minutes earlier, MPs had voted 156-145 in favour of a Liberal motion expressing non-confidence and citing the Harper government for contempt of Parliament — a first for a national government anywhere in the Commonwealth.

http://www.thechronicleherald.ca/Canada/1234983.html

History is made :p

I bet Harper would have rather had the government fall on the budget instead, guess he was a few days too late with it though.

Where i live people are putting up politics signs

CBC has a political compass setup, if anyone would like to know where they stand vis-a-vis the parties.

Here is mine:
Spoiler :

thats empty.

edit: now it opened up. im gonna try that quiz.

another edit: i don't know what some of those questions mean

Apparently I'm closest to the Bloc EXCEPT that I gave them a 0 or don't know on most of the answers about them since they don't have any candidates outside of Quebec and I know nothing about them.

Which makes Green and NDP the closest :p

Really wish I could vote. Only thing I strongly disagreed with Liberals on was the long gun registry.

I find it interesting Greens took the furthest left on this. That wasn't the case in 2008.

Yeah, they've revamped a bit. There was a bit of politics in the leadership of the party over last summer, I heard.

Surprised I out Conservative'd the conservatives on one of the Defense questions (the arctic one)

The compass shows me a bit closer to social conservatism than I would have thought though. Must have been those immigrant/Quebec questions :lol:

Attachments

• pol compass1.jpg
    pol compass1.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 66
Top Bottom