Which Civ game was better, Civ IV or Civ III?

Which Do You Think Was Better?

• Civ III

Votes: 41 16.9%
  • Civ IV

Votes: 202 83.1%

• Total voters
You guys dont' know what you are doing, stop this thread now before T.A.Jones butts in. I respect the guy but I'm older and wiser that the average subscriber to this site and you young 'uns will wake the "Sleeping Giant!" Don't blame me if he hooks into this.

He already did, check the previous pages. You don't think there can be a 5-page-long Civ4 vs Civ3 thread without several T.A.Jones posts inside, do you? ;)

I've played Civ III for years, and I didn't like Civ IV out of the box. I came to this forum to see if I'm in the minority and should give it another chance. From the sounds of it, Civ III is the better match for me. Yes, there are some annoying features in Civ III -- culture flips are my pet peeve -- but some of the things that people seem to like about Civ IV would turn me off big time. I do like the Civ IV feature that allows your units to become experienced and specialized. Other than that, the map seemed small, the graphics were overdone and confusing, and the leaders were cartoonish. Civ III has a reaslitic feel to it. I lose 95% of the Civ III games that I play because I like a challenge and play on either Emperor or Demi-God. I played Civ I and Civ II, as well, and think that Civ III is the best of the lot. Frankly, it's the only game I play.

Fair enough... de gustibus...

But I can't lack commenting the "cartoonish" argument..... Civ III has animated advisors that are atleast as cartoonish as Civ IV leaderheads, just not to say more ( that science advisor... ;) ), where Civ IV has nothing but raw intel... and the Civ IV leaders never appear bruised and with mummy-like bandanging. I would say that in terms of cartoonish, Civ III and IV are pretty much in the same level....

A quick question, how do you arrange the production qeueu on a Civ4 city?, it seems impossible to put different buildings on the list , and is a bit complicated to put diverse units on it

Oh and between Civ4 and 3, i will go with 4 :),

Shift+Click :building or unit in the end of the queue

Ctrl+Click :building or unit in the beginning of the queue

Alt+Click . endless repeated build of the unit you selected ( can combine with Shift and Ctrl to put it before or after what you already have in queue )

Click in queue build ( except if you only have one item on queue ): removes build of queue

Now, for me, I have not really played CivIII, but I have heard that there was a ton of micromanagement for a TBS, and that CivIV was a bit less extreme after people started complaining.

I'm a bit in the middle, due to CivIII sounding like it could've been a really good game, but kind of messed up in the end.

Great People and Civics. Those two features give you so many more options for planning, growing, and customizing your civilization. I played a lot of CivIII and I liked it, but I could never go back. CivIV has a much bigger variety of effective ways to play. I'm always thinking of small tweaks to my tactics, or if there is a completely different strategy that might be powerful, too.

Top Bottom