TSG6 After Action Report

leif erikson

Game of the Month Fanatic
Administrator
GOTM Staff
Supporter
Hi everyone and welcome to the TSG6 After Action Report thread. In this thread you can post the results of your game. Please state victory date and score (preferably in the post title), as recorded in the Hall of Fame, and the most important: your path to glory! Please attach your .Civ5Save file, saved AFTER the victory ceremony if you were not conquered (using the "Lemme play one more turn" feature.). Please also state your HoF score. We are trying out a new parser that is in its infancy. It is important that you post your .Civ5Save file from the turn after your victory or defeat, or the turn before your defeat should you lose by conquest.

Players are encouraged to provide feedback on the game. Some players like to replay the game, and although we will not record the results from a replay, you can still post your new experiences (please state if the game is a replay). The game will not be closed as such, but after three weeks, the results will be compiled, and will not necessarily be updated with reports coming in after the closing date.

Good Luck! :thumbsup:

I just completed TSG6 with a Diplomatic win in 1812 AD turn 276 with a final score of 1274. I had 1 crash on turn 270, just 6 turns before the UN vote. I reloaded the turn 270 autosave (labeled 269 since it's created before the turn number increments), repeated my actions and hit end of turn. Luckily it didn't crash again. I'm glad I remembered to set the game to autosave every turn.

Final Demographics
Spoiler :

Final Ranking/Score
Spoiler :

Write-up
Spoiler :
I only built 2 cities. The 2nd one after building the National College. I think I also built Stonehenge before building the settler.

I kept a very small military for the entire game and did not get into any wars. In fact I only built 1 warrior as my 2nd build, after the first worker until I unlocked the Cossack. That warrior was only because of a barbarian near Moscow. I built a few Cossacks, just to in case I needed them.

After I'd met everyone, a few folks asked me to help them fight Alex. Then I checked the global diplomacy and notices 2 were at war with Alex, 2 others had denounced Alex and the rest were friends with me. So I denounced Alex and that kicked off a lasting friendship with the other 6 AI, who all end up fighting Alex off and on for the entire game.

I kept selling off all my luxuries, but only used the money to make a couple of building purchases and to get alliances with 1 Militaristic and all the Cultured and Maritime CSs I found. When the UN vote came up I had 9 CS allies and only one CS I hadn't met.

I did not ask for nor accept any RAs. Instead I got took the policies to get my extra science from all my CS allies. For most of the game that was about half of my BPT.

Attachments

• TSG6_Diplomatic Win 1812AD T-276.Civ5Save
    1 MB · Views: 91
  • TSG6 Final demographics.jpg
    TSG6 Final demographics.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 957
  • TSG6 Final Ranking.jpg
    TSG6 Final Ranking.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 906
Learned a lesson here: never leave only one tech left to research on the board, got stuck with metal casting and gunpowder, both 90% researched.

Anyway, got the win by diplo in 1892, totally peaceful victory, coulda shaved off a couple hundred years if I had been paying attention to RA's.

I'm sure someone will handily beat this time, but it's my first GOTM, so I figured I might as well submit it.

Cheers

edit - move to this thread from the Announcement thread. Please attach the final save from the turn after victory so it will be in the results table. :)

Continued from the Announcement thread.

I start out by building a scout and sending him out looking for huts while my warrior went the other way. Discovered it was a nice large landmass with some nice spots for additional cities, but no other civs, and only one CS. Early on I decided to go Diplo, and teched for Writing then Trapping, and managed to get the CS slingshot. Built Stonehenge, GL, and Oracle, then National College. Got Optics round turn 65, met England as she sailed by me, sold her some ivory and used the proceeds to buy a trireme. Sent my scout and warrior out along with the trireme to find more civs and goody huts. Found Greece, Monty, bought another Trireme. I eventually built another city, I probably should have done so earlier than I did.

This game was fairly uneventful. As I suspected, I was strapped for cash the entire game, selling my luxuries and horses as fast as I could. I never went to war until a few turns before the UN vote, and that was just to get more money. Greece was the only civ that ever turned hostile to me, and I'm sure it was because we kept fighting over a few key city-states (even the AI knows that military CSs are poop).

Side-note: Why do CSs never improve their Whales and Pearls? It's very annoying.

I wish I hadn't built my fourth city. It didn't add much, and I could have won the game several turns sooner if I could have gotten to the 2 Free Tech social Policy, but adding a fourth city shot the cost up too much.

Overall a good try, though I suspect someone will trounce my time. Perhaps someone with far more luck and patience than I will do a Domination victory (the thought of organizing an attack across those islands makes me shudder).

Also, for some reason, nearly every CS wanted another CS destroyed. Got zero "kill barb camp" quests, very disappointing.

Oh, and my score was pathetically low. I'm guessing it was because I disbanded all my units in an effort to get more gold for City States. Wish I knew how score was tabulated.

Attachments

• TSG6_Diplo_Win_0233 AD-1615.Civ5Save
    1 MB · Views: 76
So this is my first GOTM. I had stepped away from CiV but decided to come back recently and try out the big patch that came out. If I didn't post everything correctly please let me know. I won a Diplo victory on turn 232 with a score of 1413. The following is a brief overview of the game:

Spoiler :
So the game settings were Catherine, emperor, archipelago, and any victory. I decided that I didn't have the patience to pursue a domination victory since it was emperor and archipelago. So it was gonna be either culture or diplomatic since science always takes longer (probably should be fixed). Culture depends on being able to conquer a few cities to get gold since you can't build more than 1 or 2 cities. So if I started on an island with other players I might go for that otherwise I'd go for diplomatic.

So the start was a decent one with a few luxuries. Went scout then worker and explored the island to find just one city state. So made my mind up to go diplomatic victory.

At this point, I went library then NC then build settlers and workers to grab all the luxuries on the island. I settled 3 more cities for a total of 4. Since this is all the cities I needed for the island I decided I'd be able to grab several social policies. I teched towards universities and then public schools since for diplomatic victory you need to tech up as fast as possible.

I built a caravel as soon as possible and went to find everyone since only elizabeth had found me. This was my first archipelago map and I didn't realize that almost all the land masses are connected my coast so I probably should have gotten a galley early on in order to meet players so I could sell luxuries.

At this point, I just sold all my luxuries and signed as many RAs as possible (then repeat this every 30 turns when they expire). I tried to focus my research to get the tech needed to build the UN. I really screwed up RAs 3 or 4 times and got techs that I didn't want (probably could have gotten victory at least 20 turns faster).

When I got to the tech around turn 212, I then built the UN in my capital and waited 9 turns then spent all my gold to ally all the city states. I ended up getting 15 votes in the UN (only needed 10 to win).

Conclusion: My biggest mistakes were not building a ship earlier to explore and not micromanaging the RAs (I really hope a patch changes these, they are so annoying but overpowered if used properly). Also selling luxuries is OP and needs some work. After the first 100 turns the game just turns into RAs and selling luxuries on repeat every 30 turns.

Feedback/questions on my game/post would be welcomed. Thanks.

Attachments

• GOTM6_Diplo_turn232.Civ5Save
    1 MB · Views: 75
I didn't expect much from this game. Went for Diplomatic Victory, as I have played my last games on Archipelago and had some experience with the mechanic.

I had about 6 cities, all in the start island. All cities built Monument, Library, University.
Never went to war. First focus was finding all other civs asap (for trading) and the city states. Rushed 2 Triremes for this.
After that focus was technology.
My timing was pretty bad. UN took me a total of 32 turns due to the lack of coal and factory. Luckily I got an engineer as a great person, which could speed up the process after having built the UN for 4 turns.

Policies were 1 Liberty, 5 Patronage, 4 Rationalism. I built the cities to delay the second policy until patronage.

What else?
I've built an army, although I didn't want to go to war. Just wanted to be high in soldier demographics, so that the other civs were friendly to me and I could get the trade bonus.

Attachments

• mcmpan_0210 AD-1500.Civ5Save
    895 KB · Views: 68
My opening build was Worker/Trireme/Trireme/Library/National College. The two Triremes were critical for early trades and research agreements.

I purchased 2 settlers and 1 worker, which quickly paid for themselves in luxury sales.

Then I upgraded 6 warriors to swordmen and sailed down to conquer Tenochtitlan.

Spoiler Turn 71 screenshot :
After I contacted all 7 civs, I signed research agreements with the 5 farthest ones. I set up research agreement blocks to get Steel, Civil Service, Education, Compass, and Astronomy. Compass wasn't picked in the first couple RAs, so I had time to research it myself and got Navigation instead.

Once Montezuma's capital fell, I upgraded 12 longswords and raced east and west across the world. After securing the capitals, I sold off most of the other conquered cities to keep my happiness up. Both armies met in Washington on turn 137.

Spoiler Turn 137 screenshot :

Attachments

• DaveMcW TSG6.Civ5Save
    698.7 KB · Views: 91
  • DaveMcW TSG6.Civ5Replay
    54.5 KB · Views: 69
Well, could have easily finished 20 turns earlier, but unlucky. Have learned another lesson: you can't get a vote from CS, that one turn before the UN voting was allied with another civilization, even if you bribe it in the voting turn itself. So conclusion is: you always need to have some excess CS votes if you want to win a diplo, 'cause all other civs make their turns after PLAYER's and can easily broke some of the player's alliances with CSs, just before voting.

Also noticed that barbs can embark now and some of the civilizations proved that world is round - i didn't noticed that before last patch.

Attachments

• TSG6 FIN.Civ5Save
    1 MB · Views: 71
  • Civ5Screen0002.jpg
    Civ5Screen0002.jpg
    396.3 KB · Views: 117
My opening build was Worker/Trireme/Trireme/Library/National College. The two Triremes were critical for early trades and research agreements.

I purchased 2 settlers and 1 worker, which quickly paid for themselves in luxury sales.

Well played Dave. Thanks for the instructive write-up.

My question refers to the initial build order (repeated above). With no warriors included how did you manage the early Barb incursions? Without any melee defending your cities weren't your tile improvements frequently pillaged?

I can't speak for Dave, but I only had one barb unit ever wander over to me, and it never tried to pillage anything, died before it got to whatever it wanted to destroy.

I can't speak for Dave, but I only had one barb unit ever wander over to me, and it never tried to pillage anything, died before it got to whatever it wanted to destroy.

I knew the RNG hated me. Even with a Warrior stationed in the city I twice lost a Plantation to the Barbs when two showed up at pretty much the the same time.

Then I upgraded 6 warriors to swordmen and sailed down to conquer Tenochtitlan.

Spoiler Turn 71 screenshot :
After I contacted all 7 civs, I signed research agreements with the 5 farthest ones. I set up research agreement blocks to get Steel, Civil Service, Education, Compass, and Astronomy. Compass wasn't picked in the first couple RAs, so I had time to research it myself and got Navigation instead.

Once Montezuma's capital fell, I upgraded 12 longswords and raced east and west across the world. After securing the capitals, I sold off most of the other conquered cities to keep my happiness up. Both armies met in Washington on turn 137.

Spoiler Turn 137 screenshot :

Very well done!

Very nice map, I prefer archipelagos. I decided to settle few big cities, after I realized I'm alone on "continent" and I wasn't also able to contact many civs soon, I decided to go for space. Entire game was peaceful and I build the ship in 1949.

Attachments

• Catherine_0369 AD-1949_6.Civ5Replay
    161.2 KB · Views: 67
  • Catherine_0369 AD-1949.Civ5Save
    1.2 MB · Views: 60
Built Moscow on starting square and decided to see if culture was on. Monument helped get aristocracy early and I was able to build stonehenge and the oracle. After I had 2 warriors, 2 workers and 1 trireme, I noticed pyramids was still available so built that and the angkor wat to get so GE points. Invested heavily in RAs early, though the AIs often didn't have enough cash, and i was reluctant to loan on bad terms. Any spare cash went on befriending cultural CSs. (Took me ages to find any maritime ones.)

At this point i decide that i don't want to found any more cities myself as it will really dilute the effect of all the CS culture coming in. I give serious thought to attacking one or more of the military CS. Probably I should have, but with no iron decide against as i will have to allocate a lot of production or cash to get a suitable army. Also with a currently tin army i don't want to provoke the Ais into attacking me.

Instead I beeline acoustics and get the sistine chapel and by ths point I have got far enough down the patronage tree to get the science bonus. Here I go wrong because I stop prioritising RAs to instead spend all my money getting more allied CS, thinking the science boost will be equivalent, and all the happiness from the CS luxuries is fantastic as i have mandate of heaven. I then beeline to archaeology an buld the louvre, museum and hermitage. This also opens up freedom and I can pick up the culture boosts there. At this point I am bombing along at 1 social policy every 5/6 turns and i think I'm in great shape to win around 1700. In fact the RAs have dried up and I have to back fill the bottom half of the tech tree, and I can't enhance my culture meaningfully until I can get past electricity to get to cristo redentor and broadcast tower. This stagnation takes a while and it is past 1700 and I'm back to 1 SP per 10 turns by the time i get electricity. I'm immediately ready to go with oxford university and a great scientist for telegraph and radio to built cristo and the tower. After i build them I'm back to 1sp / 5 turns. Very last SP takes 7 turns as I'm maxed at 437 culture per turn. Utopia project takes 12 turns as moscow is size 28 and has statue of liberty.

It turned out to be a very poor spot for this strategy as the 5 hex area around the starting point had no strategic resources at all except horses, so the benefit of Catherine was almost completely negated. Also no river or water resources meant gold was always tight. Felt like I had to use a lot more vanilla squares e.g 3 food only or 3 production only than normal.

Still, really enjoyed my first gotm. And the one to rule them all achievement was a nice bonus!

VT

Attachments

• TSG6_final.Civ5Save
    1.2 MB · Views: 65
Before playing this GoTM, I tried out a few test games with Cat on this island type of map. I wanted to see if I should go for a domination victory, but that didnt really click with me, so as many others I went along with the peaceful, diplomatic goal. More info in the spoiler. And congratz to DaveMcW for his amazing domination time!

Spoiler :

My overall strategy was to abuse RA's as much as possible. In total I completed 13 RAs throughout the game, the last one ticking in at turn 191. This combined with some GS, Oxford and the 2 free techs Social Policy gave me Global Politics around 193. I then settled a last 4th city directly on the coal close to Dublin, purchased a factory and started building UN. 2 turns later my capital popped a GE and with that the UN was ready 3 turns later. Then it was just a race with greece to buy the remaining City States. When the voting screen came up I had more than enough to win, but also realized that I hadn't discovered the last 2 CSs! Need to scout better!

In the beginning of the game I decided to settle on the Ivory at the coast and delay the worker a bit. I really regret that decision, but I did get Great Lib before the AI and the Civil Service slingshot, but later missed the Oracle by 2 turns (this did cost me some turns in the end, but not more than 5). I was also quite late in getting out Tiremes and really bad at scouting the world.

For money I focused on settling in total 3 cities close to luxuries and strategic resources (as I can see most others did as well). I didnt have too much trouble with barbarians or any of the AI. Even Alexander remained neutral most of the game.

Overall a fun game, which started very slow for me, but picked up in speed.

Attachments

• GOTM6_slugster_0208 AD-1480.Civ5Save
    911.9 KB · Views: 66
Hey guys...where do I summit the save? 1st time...so pls help :lol:
Is that the correct Autosave?

Didn't do an RA, didn't trade and then war.
Spoiler :

Went early Patronage line, while trying to stay low in score and enough in military to stay out of trouble.

Used all my GPs for Golden Age

Science Win with Score 1474

Demographics, note Production 2nd with 3 cities :crazyeye:

End game Social Policy Tree.

Attachments

• TSG6 Airey Science.Civ5Save
    1.2 MB · Views: 62
Hey guys...where do I summit the save? 1st time...so pls help :lol:
Is that the correct Autosave?
Welcome to GOTM. :wavey:

The save we wish to have is a save from the turn after you win. You create this save by, once all the victory related screens have gone by, clicking on "Lemme play one more turn". Then you can make a save and post it here as an attachment. It would also be helpful to include your forum name as a part of the final save game name, just to be clear.

:thanx:

You create this save by, once all the victory related screens have gone by, clicking on "Lemme play one more turn". Then you can make a save and post it here as an attachment. It would also be helpful to include your forum name as a part of the final save game name, just to be clear.

:thanx:

Thanks for the patience. I read the above in another subforum...
just thought it was an autosave after "Lemme play one more turn."

Here is the one with my name. Thanks again.

Thanks for the patience. I read the above in another subforum...
just thought it was an autosave after "Lemme play one more turn."

Here is the one with my name. Thanks again.
Thanks for joining in GOTM.

It would be best if you could replace the autosave in your post above, by using edit and "Go Advanced" and using "Manage Attachments" because the script we are using to determine results will only tally the first save you attached, not subsequent efforts. So it may see your second attachment as another try and not sue it.

Hope you enjoy the games.

Top Bottom