TSG7 - Game in Progress

leif erikson

Game of the Month Fanatic
Administrator
GOTM Staff
Supporter
Welcome to the TSG7 Game in Progress thread. This thread is used to discuss the game once you've started playing. There are no reading or posting restrictions as such (apart from normal decency), although we encourage players to use the spoiler tags for screenshots. Here you can post questions related to the game and share your achievements/anger/frustration/victories while you play. Please remember that we are running a family friendly site, so express anger or frustration with this in mind. :)

Once you've completed the game, head over to the TSG7 After Action Report thread.

sigh...

my starting strat (GS generator) got messed up due to someone close to me picking up the Oracle.
Spoiler :
The germans are here and are very annoying in that they go straight for the Oracle, then Civil Service.

I did manage to GL Civil Service, but due to poor planning I was only at ~14 beakers/turn and had to wait on the GL for 8 turns or so as I finished Philosophy. Given that the Germans only beat me to the Oracle by 3 turns, that's probably what got me.

Other than that, I changed up to utilize Askia's main bonus of barb gold. Went honour to find them and waited until at least one CS complained before clearing it.

Spoiler :
There's a group of three CSs right above china that thankfully all complained about the same barb hut, so I ended up with three friends (one culture, one maritime, one militaristic) in one shot. The barb hut gold and very active barbs effectively let me grab many early CS friends which were easily converted to allies. I went Patronage at that point since it seemed too obvious what the path should be for this game. All of my allies were handing me easy to do assignments (easiest one was to get dye for a CS that had Dye... 250g gained a huge influence boost there)

Only at ~ turn 115 right now. I have two friends, and a few wars are going on. I'm definitely catching back up in techs now that I've got a few nice puppets and CS allies giving me science.

Spoiler :
I killed the Arabs with german support. They asked. Then I started in on the Germans. They have The Oracle and Chichen Izta in Berlin, but managed to take one of my small cities that I placed to get the Ivory for a CS. Berlin will fall soon as I've got 4 Mandu Cav. sitting outside of it.

Siam (friend along with Hiwatha) asked to declare war on the Greeks. - who saw that coming? - so I agreed and stayed out of it. The greeks eventually handed me a lot of gold and gpt to make peace. I guess the 8 CS allies surrounding him helped in that respect.

Now the Ottomans and Chinese are fighting.. yay! as they are my next targets.

Still not sure what victory I'm going for. Diplo will be easy now, Domination seems like it'll be too slow as I didn't start soon enough and cultural is still an option as I got stonehenge in my 2nd city and only have 3 actual cities at the moment; the rest are puppets.

Spoiler :

overall strategy is a mounted domination victory. Declared Friendship with the western Civilizations, started a war against the worldwide denounced germany before i got chivalry, which was a huge mistake. He killed 4 of my units with Landsknechten and Archers which cost me a few turns, but as soon as i was able to upgrade my Horsemen to special Knights Berlin fell, and with the large amount of money from conquering the city and selling germanys ivory i was able to rebuild my force very quickly (build horseman at half the time -> upgrade for 150)

after germany i went to arabia, and conquered it, while the ottomans make themselves ready for a war - which i will probably win, since they don't have gunpowderunits yet, at least not at the borders, and i am teching lancers.

Since i Puppet most of the Cities for their Luxories and Horses, i always have about 2-6 unhappyness, but with the money i get i can get almost every city state i want, which helps out a bit. Although i definitely have to work something out since i think those were the last

But that's enough for today.

I just hope it works out this time - at TSG6 i was so slow at conquering that my future enemies got nukes while i finished my first destroyer, and this time they got to renaissance earlier than i did, too ^^

Spoiler :
well, I now have more respect for Siam as a civ.

In my normal games, they're usually wiped out, or are kept to 6-7 cities all game by bigger more aggressive AIs. So I never got to see them up close.

Going mounted attack is great for the Songhai, until reaching the Siamese. Those war elephants are stronger in CS *and* get +50% vs. mounted. So when I was far ahead in techs and thought to upgrade to 25 CS Cav, I realized that they also have -50% vs. mounted. SO now my most advanced army can't even fight a simple elephant. base for the cav was 12.5, base for the war elephants became 33)

I lost a lot of units to Rammies spammed elephants. Of course, this was at the same time as having to fight Hiwatha and Sully. I eventually made those two give me massive gpt, but Rammy wanted blood.

too bad I was already working on the UN :)

Spoiler :
I had a fairly early war with Germany. It seems Bismark got a bit upset with me when I bought 2 tiles to grab the 6 iron near his 2nd city for my 2nd city. On the turn I the iron mine was completed he DoW'd. Too bad for him I had enough cash to upgrade my two warriors and had already upgraded my spear to a pike. I also had 3 more warriors almost done cooking to upgrade as well.

As soon as I took Hamburg, he offered all his gold and 1gpt for peace. I took it, cranked out a few more troops and moved everything to surround his capital. As soon as I was able to I DoW'd him, took his capital and wiped him out.

Harun decided he'd try plop a city next to some fish and 2 of the Ivory N-NE of Berlin. About the time I finished researching Education, I got tired of trying to corral his 2 settlers headed that direction, so I let one slip through and build the city. I researched to Steel, upgraded all my swords and built some cats.

I surrounded Kufah, the city I let him build. He denounced me, I denounced him. I used a couple of turns of trading him gpt for all his cash (2 separate deals), so I could grab another CS ally or two, then I DoW'd him. I've now taken 3 of his cities and wiped out most of his military. As soon as my troops finish healing I'll take his capital and probably push to take the rest of his cities.

After I finish off Harun, I think I'll make Suleiman my next target. By the time I finish off Harun, I should have rifles.

so, what did i learn today:

- i should read patch notes. Horsemen and Cavalry do have -33% City attack - +10% from the special unit are a joke when upgraded from horsemen or to cavalry ;)
- the iroquese infantry is faster in rough terrain than cavalry (don't know why, yet - but i'm sure they moved 3 tiles, that cost me quite a few units. Perhaps upgraded from their special unit?)
- after killing 2 nations, no one will ever trade again with you (which is no problem since puppet citys do give a lot of gold)
- when your friend is getting a bigger army than you do (which always happens) - force the un early instead of new warfare tech ^^ (don't know yet how much time that will cost)
- the unique building that gives a free tech is not the one you get with libraries in every city, but the one you get with universities (that mistake cost me a few Turns of having Cavalry ^^ but as said in point 1 - cavalry are really horsehockey for conquering cities)

- the iroquese infantry is faster in rough terrain than cavalry (don't know why, yet - but i'm sure they moved 3 tiles, that cost me quite a few units. Perhaps upgraded from their special unit?)
Inside their borders forests and jungles count as roads. So to those infantry, they were on a road, not on rough terrain.
- after killing 2 nations, no one will ever trade again with you (which is no problem since puppet citys do give a lot of gold)
Even if they go to hostile they will still trade with you, however, you won't get much.
- when your friend is getting a bigger army than you do (which always happens) - force the un early instead of new warfare tech ^^ (don't know yet how much time that will cost
This is one reason I ally with Militaristic CSs as well as the Maritime and Cultured. You may not get units very often from them, but you will usually get decent units.

I'm giving this a try but presently it's only managing to frustrate me. i just started winning games more consistently on king and have so far only won 1 time on emperor.

I don't know what bonuses are given to the AI on emperor... i have been in a war with Hiawatha now for 20 turns and it seems like he is able to pump out units 2x faster than i can despite the fact i have 4 cities and he has 2 with only 1 of his looking like a good producer. wish i could send him some blankets laced with smallpox.

i can probably sit at home and go for a cultural victory but i find it quite boring. i managed to get the castle so i have +58 in my own territory and im not too far behind anyone tech wise.

i think i need a few more games at this level before i can win comfortably and i am hoping that playing this and reading some other peoples strategies will help

Spoiler :
I had a fairly early war with Germany. It seems Bismark got a bit upset with me when I bought 2 tiles to grab the 6 iron near his 2nd city for my 2nd city. On the turn I the iron mine was completed he DoW'd. Too bad for him I had enough cash to upgrade my two warriors and had already upgraded my spear to a pike. I also had 3 more warriors almost done cooking to upgrade as well.

As soon as I took Hamburg, he offered all his gold and 1gpt for peace. I took it, cranked out a few more troops and moved everything to surround his capital. As soon as I was able to I DoW'd him, took his capital and wiped him out.

Harun decided he'd try plop a city next to some fish and 2 of the Ivory N-NE of Berlin. About the time I finished researching Education, I got tired of trying to corral his 2 settlers headed that direction, so I let one slip through and build the city. I researched to Steel, upgraded all my swords and built some cats.

I surrounded Kufah, the city I let him build. He denounced me, I denounced him. I used a couple of turns of trading him gpt for all his cash (2 separate deals), so I could grab another CS ally or two, then I DoW'd him. I've now taken 3 of his cities and wiped out most of his military. As soon as my troops finish healing I'll take his capital and probably push to take the rest of his cities.

After I finish off Harun, I think I'll make Suleiman my next target. By the time I finish off Harun, I should have rifles.

Spoiler :
Yeah i think it's better to go for Steel and rifles instead of fully go for Mandekalus cavalry. Your path of war seems similar to mine. Siam was very big since turn 70. He leaded in all the stats and built a lot of wonders and military(phants!!!). My horses would have been crushed. Rifles did a great job at the end against them. The only thing that slowed me down is i had to deal with everyone at war against me and some CS for 20-30 turns around 1000AD. I'm still learning the behavior of AIs...

Top Bottom