First Impressions

Yes, I was somewhat surprised to find out that my cities hit harder even though the Oligarchy bonus had been cut from 100% to 50%. Even on tech parity, I don't think you can take a city with Walls without siege. Your units just get killed quicker than you can bring down the city's health.

Yup. Even a random city sitting on a plains with no walls is a menace if it has an archer-type unit in it at tech parity. You need Siege, Great General, or Honor to buff your units, otherwise the attrition rate is just untenable. As the defender adds in things like Oligarchy, Walls / Castles, and building on Hills it just gets worse and you have to start combining your buffs together to compensate or get a tech leg up on them.

The fact that I found myself click the Cover promotion so frequently makes my mind boggle. It's as if various seldom-used options are now suddenly important to an aspiring war monger and you have to make trade-offs instead of just trying to ICS + horde people.

- Marty Lund

In my second game the crazy coup and counter coup swarm was avoided and in that situation man city-states are so much better.

Decided to use pacal and Great Library rush to Theology. Got it in time to get all available GP. I used World Religion 1 :c5culture: per 5 foreign followers, and spread my religion like wild fire. With relgious texts boosting my neutral spread I targeted 1 city per ai and city states and let auto spread do the rest.

Missionaries lose conversion power in enemy lands so you have to blitz them into close proximity to city to avoid losing too much effectiveness. Gps are great missionaries ignoring enemy lands and not losing strength in enemy lands so use them for ais and missionaries for the city-states if possible. Gps have only 2 :c5moves: to a missionaries 4 :c5moves: though so they can take awhile to get anywhere.

With my network of religious hub cities set up the converts and culture were pouring in. Religious texts dominated any non holy city and whole empires converted. BY late game I was getting 50 plus culture and for awhile in midieval almost a 1/3 of my culture was from foreign converts.

I can report that two power blocs formed and stayed true for the entire second half of game. This was helped by my block failing to expand and thus falling benhind so Ideology didnt split us. But with DOfs, renewed luxury gifts, mutual wars, some intrigue, embassies and denouncements of the opposing axis I doubt that would have mattered.

Definitely. I was playing as Byzantium and Budapest kept gifting me Conquistadors (Spain was not in the game). Very disconcerting at first but it was very useful for expanding to other continents.

Yup - I received a steady stream of Mohawk Warriors from an allied CS as the Maya - no Iroquois in the game.

BTW, I'm loving the Mayan UA - very cool even though I have no idea what the actual date is on the Latin calendar. It's very fun trying to strategize how best to use each GP.

Can someone tell me if multiplayer works better? My brother and I used to like to play Civ IV as if it were single player, but two people in the same game... In vanilla civ V, the AI would never talk with you, and there were a ton of features missing. Does gods and kings fix this problem? Does the AI talk with you and do you get real notifications now? Please god, this is all i wanted in this expansion.

Once a City State has been married into Austria it can no longer be liberated. For all intents and purposes it's as if it had always been an Austrian city.

Mambasa (a useless tundra city) is behind me, it is completely cut off from Austria now. I may finish Austria off and keep her in that remaining city. So, she can freeze! :lol:

I took Vienna, what a prolonged intense battle. Maria Theresa still won't give me peace. Really she needs it more than I. Because of unhappiness, I've had to stop my offensive. After I get Vienna straightened out, then there is a city on the coast, named Graz that will need to be dealt with. For the most part Austria's back is broken.

I am close to getting gunpowder, right now finishing off chivalry.

Anyone else getting an inordinate amount of jungle in their random maps? I'm talking jungle as far as the eye can see.

I'm certainly in that boat, too, though I thought it was because I'd turned on wet. Marshes are everywhere, too. It's very difficult to get around my continent.

My first impressions...

Gatling guns are mucho tough, possibly too much so. They don't seem to be weak against anything and with double shot they are ridiculous. I can see them being nerfed simply because China can have an unlimited supply of double shot gatlings.

New Civs are cool, but some like Attila just seem like copies of existing Civs (Mongolia). I'm playing as Austria in my first game and haven't used their UA yet, don't really see much purpose to taking over a CS. The Hussar unit sucks because it's a mounted unit and it's really annoying they didn't make mounted units better.

I had the Iroquois attack me by sea and they easily took one of my cities, pretty cool stuff. No longer can I completely ignore my naval defenses.

I took out The Netherlands pretty easily early on, but Iroquois are putting up quite a fight as I duke it out with them. Taking cities is much, much harder than it used to be against equal power AI civs.

Faith and espionage are pretty much just diversions from the game. Stealing techs seems to me a little cheap. Learning about who the AI is going to attack is great though. I founded a religion but other than that, there doesn't seem to be much to religion. Just use missionaries to cities and spread it and reap the bonuses.

Overall, I think the expansion is a great addition and it's got me playing Civ 5 again. Well worth the $30 price tag.

New Civs are cool, but some like Attila just seem like copies of existing Civs (Mongolia).

They have a similar theme (as they did in history) but they play very differently. For one thing, the Huns are a much earlier invasion force, and their Unique Units reflect this - replacing the Chariot Archer and Spearmen Units. The Mongols replace Knights and Great Generals - and the Khan creates a completely different series of battle tactics than the Huns can employ. Also, the poor Mongols get a bonus to attack city states, while the Huns have a bonus starting technology, bonus production from pastures, and raze at double-time.

Frankly, the Mongols pale in comparison to the Huns if you want to warmonger early and often.

As much as Horse Archers are cool, the Huns are all about the Battering Ram. It's amazing and it unlocks on your second earned tech - plus you can hit an Ancient Ruins and upgrade into it. They are probably the only civilization that can provide a credible Ancient Era rush now. They can start a run-away on Domination in the middle of the Classical Era!

I'm playing as Austria in my first game and haven't used their UA yet, don't really see much purpose to taking over a CS.

You get the city fully intact. Compare that with conquering a city. You get it in rebellion, with almost all its buildings burned down, and you draw massive Warmonger penalties for it. On top of that you can do this anywhere in the world. Want to open a front on the other side of a Pangea or establish a beachhead on a new continent? Bam! Done. It would've taken a hundred turns to build what you just married into. It's ridiculous.

The Hussar unit sucks because it's a mounted unit and it's really annoying they didn't make mounted units better.

Mounted units are awesome. They just happen to have an allergy to sharp sticks. Infantry and Archers are bad at attacking cities now anyway, so much of the stigma of Cavalry has been removed.

Faith and espionage are pretty much just diversions from the game. Stealing techs seems to me a little cheap. Learning about who the AI is going to attack is great though. I founded a religion but other than that, there doesn't seem to be much to religion. Just use missionaries to cities and spread it and reap the bonuses.

Your religion is what you make of it. The bonuses alone are worth serious consideration and customization. If you take the right policies you can spend Faith on things other than Missionaries - like soldiers or buildings that provide a significant boost to a city's Faith, Happiness, and Culture, all for 0 Gold and 0 Hammers.

- Marty Lund

One thing that I have noticed is that the Netherlands have a great starting bias, they can make a lot of money early
I just knew that everyone was underestimating them:p

Great stories about Austria so far, they seem to be the total bad (and pain in the) ass of the game. I like the idea of not being able to liberate the CS's, giving you the ability to finally burn them down to the ground :D The Huns seem like a serious force to watch out for, just as predicted.

Thanks everyone for the stories, keep them coming!

Well, it's 1868 in the game I started last night. I'm the top civ points wise but I met Sweden on a different continent and it's close. Religion was really interesting early but now I merely use my big faith stockpile for grabbing Great Scientiests. Tons of happiness but my culture isn't as good as I hoped. I didn;t plan this game out at all (large map, 12 civs, extra civ states, epic speed) so I don't have a clear end game planned. Just see what happens I guess, maybe shoot for science.

They have a similar theme (as they did in history) but they play very differently. For one thing, the Huns are a much earlier invasion force, and their Unique Units reflect this - replacing the Chariot Archer and Spearmen Units. The Mongols replace Knights and Great Generals - and the Khan creates a completely different series of battle tactics than the Huns can employ. Also, the poor Mongols get a bonus to attack city states, while the Huns have a bonus starting technology, bonus production from pastures, and raze at double-time.

Frankly, the Mongols pale in comparison to the Huns if you want to warmonger early and often.

As much as Horse Archers are cool, the Huns are all about the Battering Ram. It's amazing and it unlocks on your second earned tech - plus you can hit an Ancient Ruins and upgrade into it. They are probably the only civilization that can provide a credible Ancient Era rush now. They can start a run-away on Domination in the middle of the Classical Era!

You get the city fully intact. Compare that with conquering a city. You get it in rebellion, with almost all its buildings burned down, and you draw massive Warmonger penalties for it. On top of that you can do this anywhere in the world. Want to open a front on the other side of a Pangea or establish a beachhead on a new continent? Bam! Done. It would've taken a hundred turns to build what you just married into. It's ridiculous.

Mounted units are awesome. They just happen to have an allergy to sharp sticks. Infantry and Archers are bad at attacking cities now anyway, so much of the stigma of Cavalry has been removed.

Your religion is what you make of it. The bonuses alone are worth serious consideration and customization. If you take the right policies you can spend Faith on things other than Missionaries - like soldiers or buildings that provide a significant boost to a city's Faith, Happiness, and Culture, all for 0 Gold and 0 Hammers.

- Marty Lund

If I want to take a CS and use it as a beachhead on new continent, I just conquer it. CS are extremely easy to take over since they don't boot you out of their territory once you declare war. And why would you take it over with the UA only? Are you planning to build your entire army from that one city? Not me, I'm going to bring my upgraded army in, take that CS in one turn, then continue on with my plans. The only real purpose I can see to this UA is to keep the AI Civs from getting too many allied CS, it gives you an alternative to killing them.

Explain to me how mounted units are awesome? They are even worse against cities now and they still require resources. You don't get horses every game, they need to be better. Catapults and spearmen/pikemen are still the only units I ever see myself using early on, with some archers for defense.

First impression? It sure is taking a long time to download. :p

Guess I'll be up late tonight after I finally get it loaded.

Second impressions... The play between generating faith and spending faith is interesting. There's a tradeoff there between having too much faith and nothing to spend it on and too little faith but cool abilities.

My dealings with Monty went... interestingly. Hiawatha wanted me to join him in a war against Monty. Yes, please. Give me 10 turns. Then Askia came by next turn and wanted the same... Ummm.. Okay. 10 turns, please. Then Monte attacked the turn after that. All out assault on a single city of mine. Walls in place, he could do nothing. Hiawatha and Askia, meanwhile, pretended not to know me. What the heck? Thankfully, I was able to buy back Hiawatha's affection and for 160 gold, he joined my war. And Askia AND Washington soon followed. Monty chokes at this point, and offers all of his gold and luxuries to get me to stop attacking (I have obliterated his Jaguar warriors and archers with composite bowmen and pictish warriors).

I'm only playing a low key game to get used to some of the new elements - there is a lot of new stuff here! I can't get a feel for turn speed or AI yet due to the low map settings I'm using but everything else has been nice so far.

Religion is nicely done (I haven't even gotten into spreading it) - a lot of the 'beliefs' you can pick provide the kind of civ defining bonuses I think should have been around since the start, they really let you make your civilization unique and expand the number strategies.

Policies look much better balanced (Rationalism is no longer OP), I noticed Great Scientists now give beakers (too bad it doesn't say how many, I think I got +1000 from one) so they shouldn't break the end game. The tech tree is a big change, the classical era is now an actual era (I can't jump to Civil Service anymore!) and what used to be the Modern/Future era is completely redone for the better. Items like Research Labs and Hydro dams actually come into play instead of being stuck off on the side and there is now a lot more stuff like wonders to get so the end game should be much more interesting and less predictable.

Combat is improved by the 100hp, ranged units have a proper progression (though I noticed a harsh contrast between the portrait art for the composite bow vs. the crossbow). I'm not playing at a level to see if the AI has improved in combat, I've only been killing barbarians.

I like spying - in Civ4 I found spying to be something that I just ignored. The new spying seems a lot more focused and interesting, it seems to be directed mostly at trying to prevent tech run aways from ruining the game. Something really different is what happens when a spy is caught (assuming you identify the spy). You'll get a diplomatic chance to forgive or punish the other civ, and the animation that plays is the leaders defeat animation (I had Washington asking me "to be merciful" after I caught his spy in my captial). There is also an option to tell the other civ not to spy on you anymore, but it only works the first time. If they spy on you again your only option for serious consequences is to denouce them. There are also embassies now, which reveal the players captial and appear to be required for later diplomatic deals. They don't need to be equal - you can ask for or give permission for an embassy without going both ways, and if one civ doesn't have the tech that's the only way). embassy agreement. Demanding an embassy in this case would be similar to demanding one sided open borders.

I'm loving the game so far! Nice job. I didn't get all my wishes but the game is much more in depth and interesting.

Can someone tell me if multiplayer works better? My brother and I used to like to play Civ IV as if it were single player, but two people in the same game... In vanilla civ V, the AI would never talk with you, and there were a ton of features missing. Does gods and kings fix this problem? Does the AI talk with you and do you get real notifications now? Please god, this is all i wanted in this expansion.
I can't speak to the multiplayer but the notifications are far better. They actually have icons representing things instead of endless exclamation points. The AI does talk more it seems, and they renew deals now.

Bit of a trivial question, but does liberating previously defeated civs make any sense now?
I'm guessing it matters for diplomatic victories. You can no longer vote for yourself, so I would hope if you liberated a civ they would vote for you.

Top Bottom