Influence on city states with same religion?

Kabal82

Chieftain
I've always thought that influence with city states decreases 25% slower as long as the majority of your cities share their religion. This is also what most guides on the Internet seem to say.

However, I am currently playing a game in which all my cities follow a religion that I haven't founded myself. My influence with city states that follow the same religion doesn't decrease 25% slower, as I thought it would.

Unless there's some sort of bug involved, there are two possibilities:
- You need to be the founder of the religion in order to get this bonus with city states
- You need to own the religion's holy city

Which one is the case?

The shared religion needs to be the religion that you founded, not a religion that you have allowed to dominate your cities or a religion whose holy city you have occupied.

Pretty sure it also does not depend on your continued ownership of your own holy city, but I've never lost my holy city, so I can't swear it is true.

From Civilopedia (emphasis added):

If a Religion that you founded becomes the majority Religion in a City-State, the rate at which your Influence degrades is reduced by 25%. Likewise, if your Influence is negative, the rate at which it recovers is increased by 50%.

It doesn't matter if you own the holy city, as long as it's your religion i.e. you get the founder belief.

pair it with Alex UA+patronage, and the influence does not degrade at all.

Thanks for your replies! Missed that part in the Civilopedia.

Venice was spamming the world (including my civ and lots of city states) with missionaries. I thought I could let Venice do the work and then profit from having the same religion as the city states.

Anyway, even without the religion bonus, it was still really easy to get allied with all city states and win a Diplomatic Victory at the first World Leader elections. Hardly any gifts to CS were needed in the later stages of the game thanks to easily-fulfilled quests.

Top Bottom