Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Atari

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • A shoebox

Votes: 16 6.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
The PS3 doesn't have one single title released in the western world with what you are using your pink text for. As for FPSes, the PS3 has about the same amount of them. You would be surprised.

in the Western World, I believe the 360 has nearly as many shooters as the PS3 has total games...The PS3 does have more shooters than the PS2 did, but that isn't helping it when the 360 has more RPGs than the PS3 does.

For the PS3 to succeed, it will need to somehow keep Final Fantasy XIII exclusivity. I'd say that despite continuing to deny it is multiplatform, that Square Enix is seriously toying with the idea of putting it on the 360 also. Why else would they have already optimized FFXIII's graphics engine for the 360? That's the most expensive part of porting a game.

in the Western World, I believe the 360 has nearly as many shooters as the PS3 has total games...The PS3 does have more shooters than the PS2 did, but that isn't helping it when the 360 has more RPGs than the PS3 does.

For the PS3 to succeed, it will need to somehow keep Final Fantasy XIII exclusivity. I'd say that despite continuing to deny it is multiplatform, that Square Enix is seriously toying with the idea of putting it on the 360 also. Why else would they have already optimized FFXIII's graphics engine for the 360? That's the most expensive part of porting a game.

There are more than enough great FPSes for the PS3. There is no need for more seriously. And Square Enix has already warned Sony that they need to change their marketing if they would stay at Sony. And they did, with a new manager and PS3 sales are going really well :) I think they are happy. Their sales with FF after GTA is released will be enormous.

well......this argument pollutes every gaming site in the whole world.....

but if you look at the numbers: when your console is selling ON AVERAGE only 5,000 more a month than the old GBA, you gotta know it's not doing well

well......this argument pollutes every gaming site in the whole world.....

but if you look at the numbers: when your console is selling ON AVERAGE only 5,000 more a month than the old GBA, you gotta know it's not doing well

And what does numbers matter to us people who are satisfied?

Then why are you on the Civ forums, i'm sure civ would come under the more of an intellectual gamer's choice, as does rpg games. Where as first person shooters are mindless violence releasing games.

Personally i enjoy a bit of both, sometimes i play games that make me think and/or have a nice story to them. (that gay mickey mouse hupula) and sometimes i jsut like to go nuts and let my trigger finger blast away everything in sight.

As you can tell, I've been on the CIV forums for quite a while. Don't get me wrong I LOVE CIV. As a matter of fact if I could only have one game to play it would be CIV. I'm just saying that after a hard day at the office, dealing with one arse after another, it's nice to come home and destroy other gamers on XBOX LIVE....which brings me to another point.

If it were not for LIVE Play I probably would not bother with consols. It's the only thing that keeps me coming back. Microsoft got the drop on Sony as far as LIVE play goes and IMHO, XBOX LIVE continues to outclass Sony in that area.

First Person Shooters + XBOX LIVE = :goodjob:

As you can tell, I've been on the CIV forums for quite a while. Don't get me wrong I LOVE CIV. As a matter of fact if I could only have one game to play it would be CIV. I'm just saying that after a hard day at the office, dealing with one arse after another, it's nice to come home and destroy other gamers on XBOX LIVE....which brings me to another point.

If it were not for LIVE Play I probably would not bother with consols. It's the only thing that keeps me coming back. Microsoft got the drop on Sony as far as LIVE play goes and IMHO, XBOX LIVE continues to outclass Sony in that area.

First Person Shooters + XBOX LIVE = :goodjob:

I keep hearing from XBOX users that Live is better than PSN but I never see any arguments.

And what does numbers matter to us people who are satisfied?

Nothing since you seem be diehard, but I just wanted to rub in....:p

In a pi$$ing war, everybody gets wet, which I'm sure most will agree is undesirable. XBox 360 has some very cool games, as does the PS3 and the Wii. All 3 consoles have some cool games, but very few of them are exclusives. If I had the time & money, I'd buy all of them.

There are a couple of determining factors that tilt in the favor of the PS3 for me. One is BluRay. The second is the controllers. We have an XBox at home and I detest the controller. I like the controller on the PS2 much better. Third is the fact that I can still play my PS2 games when I upgrade.

All that being said, if a person likes one console over the other, there's no need to insult them just because they like something different than you do. It doesn't help anybody, and it doesn't change anybody's mind.

Third is the fact that I can still play my PS2 games when I upgrade.

You might want to check on that. Not all PS3s have the backward compatibility hardware. It depends what country you are in and the model you buy. Some have no backward compatibility (the 40 GB models), others have software emulation (most the current crop - this is a mixed bag a lot of games work others don't), and the early models had the full PS2 chipset for full compatibility (AFAIK, the current models do not).

Go to http://www.us.playstation.com/Support/CompatibleStatus if you want to know about a specific title.

In a pi$$ing war, everybody gets wet, which I'm sure most will agree is undesirable. XBox 360 has some very cool games, as does the PS3 and the Wii. All 3 consoles have some cool games, but very few of them are exclusives. If I had the time & money, I'd buy all of them.

There are a couple of determining factors that tilt in the favor of the PS3 for me. One is BluRay. The second is the controllers. We have an XBox at home and I detest the controller. I like the controller on the PS2 much better. Third is the fact that I can still play my PS2 games when I upgrade.

All that being said, if a person likes one console over the other, there's no need to insult them just because they like something different than you do. It doesn't help anybody, and it doesn't change anybody's mind.

Yes as warpstorm says, they have dropped the ps1 and ps2 support on the newer version. Imo its a bad move but I got hold of one of the earlier models, the 60 gb version so I still have that support. They do not make these anymore though. One problem with the 60 gb is that it sounds more than the new ones and consumes a bit more power since there is a smaller chip in the new versions.

As for playing with old controllers, the PS3 has support for usb. I don't know the specifics of what controllers work but I have a Thrustmaster with both the old PS connector and usb, and it works perfectly as another controller on the PS3.

i think he was comparing ps controllers to xbox controllers, and i agree, the playstation controller is so much easier for me to use, plus i think it looks better. And then theres siraxis motion control, that could have some interesting possibilites.

i think he was comparing ps controllers to xbox controllers, and i agree, the playstation controller is so much easier for me to use, plus i think it looks better. And then theres siraxis motion control, that could have some interesting possibilites.

My opinion is that the sixaxis function isn't very cool. The only game where it actually felt natural was Resistance where you have to shake it to get those alien bastards away from you. Otherwise it doesn't feel responsive enough. But maybe I'm spoiled after playing so much Wii.

yeah, the wii's motion-sensing is better, but there were two kinds of xbox controllers....I got the newer and better one......but if you got it in like the first two years it was out, you got this super huge controller......

Civfan333 brings up a good point, the current XBox 360 controller is a much better designed controller than the ones that came with the original XBoxes.

I keep hearing from XBOX users that Live is better than PSN but I never see any arguments.

XBL Pros:
  • huge amounts of downloadable movies in HD
  • tons of demos
  • tons of great XBL Arcade games: new and old
  • lag-free multiplayer gaming with 10 million other users
  • the ability to avoid annoying 10-yr old kids in multiplayer
  • free XNA programming language for indie programming for XBL Arcade
  • everything is free except for XBL multiplayer
  • good interface
  • offline for less than 96 hours since its launch

XBL Cons:
Costs $4/month for XBL Gold, which lets you play online multiplayer...everything else is available for XBL Silver membership

PSN Pros:
  • a few demos
  • some downloadable music videos...
  • free multiplayer gaming with perhaps 1 million other users
  • download PS1 games
  • download a handful of smaller games

PSN Cons:
  • online gaming isn't always lag-free
  • very few worthwhile downloadable games compared to 360
  • no downloadable movies
  • network of users is a fraction the size of XBL
  • offline for over 2 weeks since its launch

Since the only thing on XBL you 'have' to pay to do is do multiplayer gaming, and since it only costs $4/month, I find it immensely more worthwhile for my gaming time than the PSN, as I'm more likely to find a good multiplayer matchup on XBL than on PSN.

I would also buy all 3 if I had the money(and the PS3 had more games I wanted than just Uncharted...), but the 360 controller is not the XBox controller...it is smaller, lighter, and more responsive..it also feels much more natural for shooters than the PS3/PS2 controllers did.

Sixaxis is WAY overrated. It sucks, to be honest. The only game so far to actually use it as the primary method of control was Lair...and it was a disaster. Sixaxis is in no way something you should consider a positive for the PS3 over another console....as for the xbox/Ps2/3 comparison...look to my above post also

My opinion is that the sixaxis function isn't very cool. The only game where it actually felt natural was Resistance where you have to shake it to get those alien bastards away from you. Otherwise it doesn't feel responsive enough. But maybe I'm spoiled after playing so much Wii.

agreed...Sixaxis was 'supposed' to beat the Wii for Sony...instead it is a mere gimmick that developers hate to include in their game, but Sony keeps pushing.

I think some of the Live hype is the fact you got to pay for it. American's have been taught you get what you pay for but I found out this isn't always true. Americans will often pay top dollar for junk.

I've seldom had that any trouble playing online with my friends with the PC nor PSN (play PC online more than PSN though). Even then it's problems with the game and nothing to do with online. When it comes to online PC still has the most advantage over any console.

I will not write a long post about why I feel like I feel but if we remove all the useless arguments that are very subjective, we are left with:

XBL Pros:
* tons of demos
* tons of great XBL Arcade games: new and old
* lag-free multiplayer gaming with 10 million other users
* free XNA programming language for indie programming for XBL Arcade

PSN Pros:

* a few demos
* free multiplayer gaming with perhaps 1 million other users
* download PS1 games
* download a handful of smaller games

Demos, more is better so I agree that the system that has more demos win here. However its not a big issue to me at least. Arcade games and the ability to make your own is a great thing which should be featured on PSN as well. About lag gameplay, I have never experienced any lag at all except for in Tekken which is a fighting game and thats when you play with people that are a long distance away. People define lag different, the usual description though is that you notice a delay in the game as your network packets are arriving with a noticable delay. Stuttering is not the only type of lag. I never see any Stuttering (except for Tekken) in PSN, the only thing that might happen is that things happen a bit after you do stuff when playing with people far away. This will of course happen on XBOX live as well if you do play with people far away. Now you live in America so I guess you have enough players to play with close to you. But all in all, there probably isnt any difference at all between the XBOX and the PS3.

The PS3 does offer some old games which is cool and good but as for old classics in xbox arcade its a minor detail.

The main thing with the online system is that you can play your games online and perhaps try new games with demos and you can do this in both.

Also the PS3 is newer so there is nothing strange with it having less demos and so on.

it's confusing on which you think is better overall.......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom