Star of the Shogun: Realpolitik

Lighthearter

President of the United States
Legend has it that eons ago, a star fell to earth. A small group of freezing people gathered around this star, seeking any warmth they might find. They slept there, arguing occasionally about their beliefs and opinions. They remained there through the mighty blizzard - three days and nights, never feeling the chill of the snow for the heat of the star.

But when they rejoined their tribe, they realized something. The star had given these men a gift - an extraordinary one. As time passed and their elders, then juniors, died - they did not.

These men were gifted by the Star - Immortals. It is up to them to take the fledgling tribe they call their own and lead it to greatness across these many thousands of years ahead.

But are there other tribes? Other Immortals? Time will tell.

__

Greetings! Lighthearter has returned to Realpolitik! I assume you read the blurb above, so on with the rest of the rules:

- We are playing Japan on a Continents Map

- I as host reserve the right to veto any action any player wishes to undertake: To consolidate the stability of the AAR, to stop interference with the normal functioning of the thread or simply because I feel like it. Don't mess with The Man.

- Rule #1 of Realpolitik: Democracy is absolute. Even when the Nazis or communists are elected into office, they will still have to answer to the opposition and face elections every thirty turns.
Spoiler :
Unless elections are terminated ;)

- Any member is free to establish or join a political party of his choice. A member can only be member of one party at a time, although he is free to switch allegiance whenever he sees fit.

- I am going to ask everyone to use their own nicknames at all times when playing or in story updates they write. This is to avoid confusion.

- Every thirty in-game turns an election shall be held - the first election will be in about one week. During the week, I'll grant the right to all parties to organize, unite and campaign to get as many people as they can to vote. Note that everyone registered on the CivFanatics forums is eligible to vote.

- Political Capital is a number associated with your political persona. How much Political Capital you have determines what actions you can take as president or a lower politician. PC is awarded every turnset.

- The President has, at his command, the Shogun's Swords. This is an elite commando unit that will follow his instructions to the letter on any operations he wants carried out. They cannot be bribed.

- Private Military Companies are groups of warriors and assassins who lurk in the background, willing to operate for any bidder - at the right price, that is. Purchase their services with Political Capital. Or, you know, buy them away from people who have already bought their services. Have fun!

- Parties are allowed to form coalitions. At the end of an election, all votes are tallied and the party or coalition with the largest amount of votes wins the election.

- The parties that did not win will be sent to opposition, where they can comment on the policy of the leading faction. I will monitor opposition closely, and the leading players have to understand that failing to appease the public will lead to me penalizing out nation in-game (improvement deletion, raised unhappiness). It is therefore very important to listen to the public.

- If the opposition is strong enough, they can call for a General Strike, a Vote of No Confidence, an Assassination, or if things get REALLY ugly, an Armed Revolution.

- The winning party or coalition will come into office the in-game update after the elections. The President has full control of the nation, but he/she CAN delegate to others if he/she wants. Or assume authoritarian power for yourself!

- NPC voters are divided into cities. Each population in a city is worth one vote. You will get more votes from your City of Residence, or from the strength of your get-out-the-vote campaign.

- If your party/coalition carries a majority of a city’s voters, then you gain an extra vote for that city.

- The buildings built in cities, the units near them, and the improvements around them will play a major role in determining how the city in question’s people vote.

- NPC organizations may form, and these organizations will have their own demands and issues. Be careful of alienating NPC organizations, as they might command more votes than you think.

- Elections can be ended early if one side concedes defeat, but their starting opposition strength will be lowered and they will gain it much slower.

- Every reader (including players) has two votes in the presidential elections. Putting in two votes for a single party is not allowed. However, if parties want to play it smart they'll seek coalition with a like-minded party so players can put two votes into their front.

- The host (Lighthearter) retains full rights to ban any party that has violated these rules. Spamming parties, parties using a complaint generator, parties inciting hate or parties that are found obtrusive for the normal functioning of this thread will be banned from the elections indefinitely.

- Please refrain from PMing me for every Realpolitik-related issue. Alternatives are using the profile visitor comments, or simple commenting in the thread.

- You cannot change your vote once it is cast, but you can withdraw your party from a coalition and join another one mid-elections.

- True Player Measure - If you only arrive to vote in elections, and come and vote every election but never post in between, then you are going to have your votes taken away because you obviously don't have a stake in the game. In order to get them back, you need to be an active player - even if not the most active - and remain active up to and through an election where you have no voting rights. That's right. You have to prove that you're here to play, not just to vote for a friend. I will be paying strict attention to all lurker voters in the future and adding their names to this list as they qualify.

- Major Party Rule - A leader (or member) of a Party cannot put himself forward for the position of President unless he has another member (not counting himself) within his own party. He can, however, run for any lower position if he so wishes.

- If you have an issue about my GMing, contact me through PMs. Please do not feel afraid to bring issues to my attention. If you can talk to me but choose not to for whatever reason and instead “take an issue into your own hands” I can guarantee that you’ll get nowhere with me.

- By voting, joining a party or performing any other form of interaction with this AAR, you declare that you have read and understood all these rules to the letter. I don't want to be a jerk guys, so keep it clean!

Opposition Actions:

Come up with missions - just PM me to check costs. Impeach a president! Call for desertion! Call for a strike! Instigate a riot! Use your imagination!

- PMC Missions:

The heavier-handed sort of missions will require you to have purchased a PMC's services - note that some PMCs are better at some missions than other PMCs. You cannot accompany a PMC on its mission. You may keep a PMC "on retainer" indefinitely if you repurchase it every turn.

Armed Revolution:

Must be supported by 3 players who between have hired at least one PMC to serve as the core force. Every player who wishes to participate for either side PMs me with this information:

- Allegiance (Government or Rebels)
- A unit type they wish to raise (Era applicable, please)
- Four promotions (in order of priority) for their unit to receive.

Units will be named after their commander unless otherwise requested(within reason as defined by me).

The leaders (President and Opposition Leader) will be represented by a Great General.

Then I will use IGE to create a small, flat-world map where the fighting will take place and add in the two armies. Me and my brother(Nukeknockout) shall then duke it out over LAN, and you will be provided with every turn updates on the fight.

Extra Forces:

In an armed revolution, either side can negotiate with foreign powers for aid. PMCs can be hired to provide units - details will be given in the event of an Armed Revolution being launched.

Government Actions:

Functionally, the president has unlimited power(including the ability to postpone or eliminate elections) - the only limit is what the players and people will put up with.

Presidential Commandos:

Shogun's Swords

Unit History:
Nothing yet

Combat: HIGH
Stealth: HIGH
Collateral Damage: LOW
Strength: MAXIMUM

PMCs:

Ishina Clan
Base cost: 20PC

Unit History:
Nothing yet

Combat: LOW
Stealth: AVERAGE
Collateral Damage: LOW
Strength: AVERAGE

Kyoto Dragons
Base cost: 40PC

Unit History:
Nothing yet

Combat: AVERAGE
Stealth: LOW
Collateral Damage: AVERAGE
Strength: AVERAGE

Past Presidents:
Lighthearter Administration
President: Jehoshua

Cabinet:

Saikosai Ippan: Hoplitejoe
Kokyo Daijin: Tambien

Censor: JoanK
Tech minister: Tycho
Culture Minister: Swimandciv
Field Marshal:Lelouch
Intel Minister: Jwitti

Chatroom: http://realpolitik.chatango.com/

Politicians:

Hoplitejoe - 68PC
Sparthage - 58PC
SouthernKing - 58PC
Redspy - 68PC
Jehoshua - 93PC
Tambien - 63PC
JoanK - 73PC
Tycho - 63PC
Jwitti - 63PC
Lelouch - 48PC
Princeof Persia - 58PC
Caragus - 58PC
Swimandciv - 38PC
Magnive - 63PC
Nukeknockout - 78PC
Christos200 - 53PC
Ninjacow64 - 58PC
Dem Taqat - 83PC
Landlubber - 33PC
Ceskari - 63PC
Kiloku - 53PC
Ravus_Sol - 58PC
Dirk Diggler - 63PC
Arya126 - 83PC
Captain Fargle - 73PC
Ninim - 38PC
Sonereal - 48PC

Parties:

The Giant Robot Party of Japan
It is our belief that the best defence that Japan can have is giant bipedal robots, We therefore are interested in making Japan the most advance nation in the world and having a strong defence of our cities.
Leader: Hoplitejoe
Members: Tycho, Lelouch

The Imperialist Party of Japan
We believe that there is no greater people than the Japanese, and that Japanese culture must be spread through military conquests. Japan shall rule the world. All who stand in Japan's way to the top shall be destroyed without mercy.
Leader: Sparthage
Members: Princeof Persia

Nippon No Kyosanto
Turning Japan into a Workers Paradise Under the Rising Sun!
Leader: Nukeknockout
Members: Landlubber

Obliteration of Self
The Chancellor is supreme, there is no questioning him. There is no you, there is for us, and for the state. Everyone works for the state, and must eliminate desires to do so. Do not fear death, welcome it. By dying you have proved what you have to offer to society, that you have been valuable. By fearing death you are not useful, and thus should not be part of this great empire.
Leader: RedSpy
Members: Caragus

Isolationist Party of Japan
We think Japan must strengthen its culture and army to stop foreigners to absorb us. Foreigners are only worth destroying, but we encourage limited trading to seek Japan's wealth above any other countries', and that Japan should bend to its natural and strategical borders, which includes any zone on the globe with interests to the glorious Empire of the Rising Sun.
Leader: Joank
Members: Swimandciv, Tambien, Jwitti, Jehoshua

Insanely Mad Warmonger's Party
We believe that JAPAN should conquer the world! We need to destroy all enemies in our way! Of course, we need a good economy to support our army, so we support a good economy. And we need science to get GIANT DEATH ROBOTS, which are awesome, so we support science as well. But most of all we want to destroy and conquer! EXTERMINATE!!!(RUNNING GAG AWAY!) :p
Leader: Ninjacow
Members: None

The Kamikaze Party
The agenda will be "Domination at whatever the cost". We will advocate suicide missions to enemy territory, war to attrition, and aggressive Home politics.
Leader: Ceskari

Party for Advancement of Culture and Knowledge
The PACK's main focus is the education of the Japanese people, with focus on empowering our technology and culture.
Japan shall rule supreme through the power of the mind.
The world will gaze upon us and believe our power is beyond the natural laws, but it's actually beyond their understanding of the world.

Leader: Kiloku

The Federal Party of Japan
In order to have a strong japan we need a federal gonverment, a new economical system and a strong forgein policy.
Leader: Christos200

The Mercantalist's Guild Party for Trade and Commerce
Mercantalist party dedicated to enriching Japan.
Leader: Captain Fargle
Members: Dirk Diggler & Magnive

Japanese Democratic Party
We believe in sanity and calmness, not forcing Emergency Powers or Armed Revolutions in all of the elections.
Leader: West India Man
Members: Arya126, BestRFCplayer and Sonereal

Brotherhood of the One Vision
Every person is born imperfect. It is only through trials and tribulations, deeds of benevolence and dedication, can one find Inner Peace.
Leader: Ilduce

Bushido Dragons
This party does not care about ruling or winning elections for power. Wishing instead to serve, provided that the nation or leader is themselves honourable.
Leader: Ravus_Sol
Members: Mechaerik, Celticfury

Coalitions:

Coalition for Japanese Security and Prosperity(JDP/MGP/NNK/BSD)
Coalition for the Advancement of Japan(GRP/ISO)

NPC Organizations:

-L

The Giant Robot Party of Japan
:borg: :borg: :borg: :borg: :borg: :borg: :borg: :borg: :borg: :borg: :borg: :borg: :borg: :borg: :borg: :borg: :borg: :borg: :borg: :borg: :borg: :borg: :borg: :borg: :borg: :borg: :borg: :borg: :borg:

It is our belief that the best defence that Japan can have is giant bipedal robots, We therefore are interested in making Japan the most advance nation in the world and having a strong defence of our cities.​

:woohoo:

LH IS BACK!!!

I form the Imperialist Party of Japan
We believe that there is no greater people than the Japanese, and that Japanese culture must be spread through military conquests. Japan shall rule the world. All who stand in Japan's way to the top shall be destroyed without mercy.

LH! Your back! :yeah:

Also, if it would do anything for this RP, here is a D'Hondt method calculator I found the other day. Hey, it relates to elections, right? (In all seriousness, it could be used for calculating a legislature or something, if anyone wanted it)

I form the Nippon No Kyosanto! (NNK) (Communist Party of Nippon)

Turning Japan into a Workers Paradise Under the Rising Sun!

Obliteration of Self

The Chancellor is supreme, there is no questioning him. There is no you, there is for us, and for the state. Everyone works for the state, and must eliminate desires to do so. Do not fear death, welcome it. By dying you have proved what you have to offer to society, that you have been valuable. By fearing death you are not useful, and thus should not be part of this great empire.

I create the Isolationist Party of Japan

We think Japan must strengthen its culture and army to stop foreigners to absorb us.
Foreigners are only worth destroying, but we encourage limited trading to seek Japan's wealth above any other countries', and that Japan should bend to its natural and strategical borders, which includes any zone on the globe with interests to the glorious Empire of the Rising Sun.

This attachment is our flag.

Attachments

• Japanese_flag-712397.jpg
    Japanese_flag-712397.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 203
I join Obliteration of Self. Let us put aside selfish desires, and die for the state!

Hmmm....

I'll join The Giant Robot Party of Japan.

I'll join the Isolationalists, I like acting like the RL and CivIV Tokugawa

joining the Giant robot party of japan. I also bring an additional robot to defend Japan.
Spoiler :

I shall join the Isolationist Party of Japan, inferior foreign nations have no part in the glorious Bunka Japanese Empire.

I shall join the Nippon No Kyosanto!

-Nukeknockout

Welcome you all four!

How fast has this party has become the most populous!

Its only natural JoanK

Afterall true japanese can feel nothing but disgust at the sight of inferior foreign nations and thus it is natural that right thinking japanese gather together politically to ensure the purity of our culture from degenerate outside influences. Indeed I note that all parties look at the foreign devils with disgust and uphold the dignity of the children of the emperor, our people, and their culture against outsiders. Although of course they differ somewhat in their approaches.

I join the The Giant Robot Party of Japan.

Top Bottom