Starting Position

I agree with all above, but wonder if we got a religion, why settle the first priest. The financial payoff of a snowballing religion is certainly higher than a settled priest.

A 2nd engineer from the capital would be the bee's knees, but if we lose the 20% roll, why not a shrine?

If we get a priest, that's an IMMEDIATE +5 gold and +2 hammer to bolster our early game.

If we get a shrine ... we get ... a wonder to boost our score and make other civs wary of us (bad), we get +1 gold per turn rather than +5 (bad), but we do get culture (but again the shrine will likely be in the capital unless we get Judaism ... so needless extra culture).

The early benefits of getting the settled priests' benefits are really important, just like early great people are more important than later great people. :) Right now in my PBEM, I've got a religious shrine for well over 1,000 years and it's still giving me only +6 gold per turn.

A shrine would only give us 1 gold a turn. The priest gives us 2h and 5g with 3b from rep.

There is no payoff with a shrine, it's a terrible waste of a priest. Even if we had 15 cities the priest still wins, and even adding more cities doesn't do much good since the shrine cant catch up.

I wouldn't count a capital shrine out later though, if the religion spreads to, say, ~10 cities. Still gives 1GPP + PHI :)

(Side note: after reading through this I finally get why everyone is acting like we already have MC in other threads :lol:)

Top Bottom