Nationalism

Blackbird_SR-71

Spying from 85,000 ft
this is a easy implentation but can add great depth:

when you research the tech Nationalism there should be some new effects:

1) When you go to war any new nation identity citizens should last much longer and be resistors longer and be unhappy like they are currently
2) When you research the tech, some of the citizens of the national identites that had assimlated into your country would become their own nationalities again and cause unhappiness and maybe seperate from your nation.
3) this would unify countries that have one nationality while dividing and weakening countries with diverse nationalities

sounds nice

Sounds like a good idea. I had thought of something similar awhile ago, and you inspired me to post it

Blackbird_SR-71 said:
this is a easy implentation but can add great depth:

when you research the tech Nationalism there should be some new effects:

1) When you go to war any new nation identity citizens should last much longer and be resistors longer and be unhappy like they are currently
2) When you research the tech, some of the citizens of the national identites that had assimlated into your country would become their own nationalities again and cause unhappiness and maybe seperate from your nation.
3) this would unify countries that have one nationality while dividing and weakening countries with diverse nationalities

I see some flaws in your concept:

ad 1) When YOU have nationalism, why should THEY be more resistant? Logically, it should just be the other way around - when THEY develop nationalism, THEIR population under YOUR rule should be resistant to a higher degree

ad 2) Why would anyone switch back, after you already have assimilated them? Assimilation just means that they understand themselves now as members of your nation, no? Not to mention the fact (which is a minor problem on the technical side) that the engine would have to keep track on the initial nationality even for assimilated pop units. It would confuse the player, if you looks at a given town at turn x (prior to nationalism) and all inhabitants are yours, and after nationalis (turn x+1) "out of a sudden" he again has 3 foreigners in this same town

ad 3) as in #2 you indicated that pop units might give up their assimilation, the unification factor would become even more confusing, as you would have own (real own) pop, own (not really own) pop units, foreign (previously own) pop units and foreign (always foreign) pop units.

I think nationalism is more important than the game gives credit, and it does have an impact on the unity of your empire. But Commander Bello explains why the details are a little mixed up.

Top Bottom