RSG4 NOW Emperor Spain

Toxicman007 will probably need the save, TO. :)

Ya think so? ;)

This is a tougher game than I expected! I looked at the trading options and this is what I think:

• Mayan will give peace & 38gp (all gold) for Literature or Monarchy. No gpt.
  • Babylonians will give 49gp (all gold) for Literature or Monarchy. No gpt.
  • China will give 18gp (all gold) for Literature or Monarchy. No gpt.
  • Dutch will give Construction, CoL, 80gp for Monarchy. No gpt. Literature will get CoL & 80gp (all gold) . Literature, 16gp (of 29gp) and 9gpt (turning down science) will get us Construction.
  • Hittites will give Construction and 16gp (all gold) for Monarchy. No gpt. Literature, 22gp (of 29gp) and 10gpt (turning down science) will also get us Construction.
  • Arabia will give 7gp & 2 slaves for Monarchy or Literature.
If it makes anyone feel better, we are FAR ahead of the Greek with techs.

I think the best path here is to make the deal with the Dutch for Monarchy. Even if Monarchy loses value for the Mayans, we will pick up 2 more techs they don’t have that we can trade for peace. CoL is also a monopoly at the moment.

That done, we lift the two slaves off Arabia, trading CoL and Construction rather than Monarchy if we can get away with it.

Next we go to the Mayans and give them anything but Literature (last) and Monarchy if we have to. Otherwise give them Construction and/or CoL, whatever will get them off our back.

Then shop around CoL to pick all the extra gold that is lying around. That should give us everything and still keep us on top with Lit, but we’ll need to keep checking Diplo every turn for when Currency shows up and we can grab it.

Until then we can start on republic, start on currency ourselves, or stop research until we can trade into the Middle Ages.

I didn't see a got it from Toxic so I just PM'd him. His profile says he was on this AM. Just keeping this on the boards!

Not sure why we're going for Republic. It won't help us much with only four cities. PLUS, after Toxicman007 finishes today, we'll have 70 turns of declared war on our record. Add the turns we'll spend researching The Republic, and all those turns of war will come crashing down on us in war weariness. I realize we're trying to reduce the effects of WW by our actions, but it will still catch up to us when we become a Republic.

I would revolt to a Monarchy before we traded that tech to anyone.

Ah, I just re-read CKS post with the grand announcement ~ "Turn 6:
We are a monarchy." Must have missed it first time around. Wish everyone would post a pic showing the whole screen.

Well that's good. Still don't see why you've suggested we start on Republic. These threads are too quiet. I'm busy right now. I'll post next Saturday. See ya.

Unless I am imagining things, we are still researching Code of Laws. We could research Republic and use it as trade bait, and become that government when the timing is better. Surviving qnd beating Greece is the task at hand, we'll need Iron for that. To get the Iron hooked up, we need peace with the Mayans. We can switch governments much easier, as we are Religious, so no hurry to switch, as we'll only have 2 Anarchy turns when we switch. The only advantage to being religious, un;ess your doing culture games.

We have committed to playing the game as a republic, once it becomes available. I don't know that we made any decisions on whether we had to learn the republic as soon as possible.

I think we should play in Republic, but perhaps we should discuss for a moment extracting ourselves from the Greek/Mayan mess we are in. If we swap to republic now, it will probably be the end of the game.

On the other hand, by the time we research Republic we may be out of the mess anyway (or dead). If we can get some swords in our army and start taking some Greek towns, we can probably start building momentum. The strange land formation will make eliminating the other AI one at a time easy (IMO) once we have Greece under control. We'll have a single war front for the remainder the game because everyone is in line on a large inverted 'U'.

With so much resources tied up, it will take us 20+ turns to research Republic anyway. Lets get some swords and smash Greece. Now it lies in the turn-players hands, can we survive greek swords and their Golden age?

Toxic if you are out there let us know. Otherwise, Overseer, do you want to play a set? It's been a few weeks without any movement.

I can't play til the weekend, and I did just play. Maybe someone could do a set in between while I can't play. Toxic seems to have been kidnapped and held incommunicado, maybe we need to chip in for ransom...

Oops. Must have got my line up out of order. :crazyeye:

Cyc do you want to play a set to keep us moving along?

This is a tougher game than I expected! I looked at the trading options and this is what I think:

• Mayan will give peace & 38gp (all gold) for Literature or Monarchy. No gpt.
  • Babylonians will give 49gp (all gold) for Literature or Monarchy. No gpt.
  • China will give 18gp (all gold) for Literature or Monarchy. No gpt.
  • Dutch will give Construction, CoL, 80gp for Monarchy. No gpt. Literature will get CoL & 80gp (all gold) . Literature, 16gp (of 29gp) and 9gpt (turning down science) will get us Construction.
  • Hittites will give Construction and 16gp (all gold) for Monarchy. No gpt. Literature, 22gp (of 29gp) and 10gpt (turning down science) will also get us Construction.
  • Arabia will give 7gp & 2 slaves for Monarchy or Literature.
If it makes anyone feel better, we are FAR ahead of the Greek with techs.

I think the best path here is to make the deal with the Dutch for Monarchy. Even if Monarchy loses value for the Mayans, we will pick up 2 more techs they don’t have that we can trade for peace. CoL is also a monopoly at the moment.

That done, we lift the two slaves off Arabia, trading CoL and Construction rather than Monarchy if we can get away with it.

Next we go to the Mayans and give them anything but Literature (last) and Monarchy if we have to. Otherwise give them Construction and/or CoL, whatever will get them off our back.

Then shop around CoL to pick all the extra gold that is lying around. That should give us everything and still keep us on top with Lit, but we’ll need to keep checking Diplo every turn for when Currency shows up and we can grab it.

Until then we can start on republic, start on currency ourselves, or stop research until we can trade into the Middle Ages.

Oops. Must have got my line up out of order. :crazyeye:

Cyc do you want to play a set to keep us moving along?
Just dl'd the save. Will try and follow your outline above. Let's hope we can stay alive. Maybe Toxicman007 didn't post for a good reason. Maybe we lose 25% - 50% of our cities this turn. :dunno:

Spoiler :
Turn 90 - 750BC
216g (-4gpt)
Republic in 33

Traded Netherlands Monarchy for 79 Gold (never like to take all of a Tribe's Gold), Construction, and CoL.

Trade Arabia Construction for 2 Workers and 6 (of 7) Gold.

Trade Mayans Construction for Peace and 36 Gold. We have Peace with the Mayans!

Did NOT trade CoL (the only advance we had on them) to the Hittites for 18 gold (all of their gold).

Traded Babylon Construction for 48 of their 49 Gold.

Traded China Construction for 18 Gold. (I believe it was all their Gold...)

In Madrid ~ Removed a citizen from a mine (2/1/1) and make him a Taxman to keep Madrid from rioting. Madrid changed from growth in 4, Archer in 2 - to Groth in 8, Archer in 2.
We have a strong stack East of Madrid, but with 5 Archers and a Sword to the NE, ad 3 Archers to the South, I move the stack back into Madrid. Send the new Arabic Workers NNW to join the other Workers there. Advance Curragh into Dutch Waters. Mayans haven't left our territory.
We are technologically advanced.

IBT
Sir William asks us to recall our Curragh. We apologize. Mayans leave our territory. Hoplites on Seville's Wheat split. One goes for the Workers who just finished irrigating the field for Barcelona, one pillages the Wheat road. The The Archer/Sword combo split. one moves to the NE of Madrid, one moves to the East of Madrid. The two wounded Archers to the South retreat to Argos, the healthy one advances toward Madrid. The stack of 4 Archersin the NE cross our border and move to two tiles East of Madrid. A new Sword comes out of the Mountains behind them.

Turn 91 - 730BC
213g (-3gpt)
Republic in 31

I move the Workers and the Warrior protecting them to the Grassland NE of Barcelona to road to the Iron. A Madrid Cat hits a Greek Sword for 1HP. 2nd Cat hits Archer for 1HP. 3rd Cat hits Sword for 1HP (now 2/4). 4th Cat misses. Toledo Worker is roading towards Seville.

IBT
Wounded Greek Sword retreats East. Wounded Archer retreats North. Sothern Archer moves to Forest SE of Madrid. Archer Quartet is now East of Madrid, a new Sword following them. Hoplite 2 tiles North of Madrid. New Hoplite advances from Argos. Road plundering Hoplite moves next to Seville.
Madrid completes and starts Archer. Barcelona completes Temple, starts Barracks. Hittites complete M of M Wonder in Hattusas

Turn 92 - 710BC
210g (-4gpt)
Republic in 31

Madrid Cat fires on Archer to East and misses. 2nd Cat takes 1HP. 3rd Cat takes 1HP off next Archer. 4th Cat misses. 4/4 Archer vs 3/3 Archer = 2/4 Archer. 4/4 Archer vs 3/3 Archer = 4/4 Archer. 3/3 Archer vs 3/4 Archer = 1/4 Archer. 4/4 Spearman vs 2/3 Archer = 4/4 Spear.
Seville Cat fires on Hoplites and misses.
Workers complete Grassland road, Warrior and both Arabic Workers climb Iron Mtn. Curragh moves into Dutch Waters again. The fog has been lifted around the entire continent. No one has Currency. We are up CoL, Lit, and Monarchy across the board, except for the Netherlands who have Monarchy. Changed Madrid to no growth, with 2 Taxmen, 1 Scientist, and the Archer still in 2 turns.

IBT

Grrek Archer in Forest attacks Madrid, gets fired upon by a Cat and dies. Sword to East moves West to Madrid. Hoplite in South Moves North 1. Wounded Archers flee. New Archer/Sword combo advance from Argos. Hoplite in North moves onto Ivory. Seville oplite destroys road.

Turn 93 - 690BC
206g (-4gpt)
Republic in 31

Madrid Cat fires on 4/4 Sword to East - misses. 2nd Cat takes 1HP. 3rd Cat takes 1HP. 4th Cat misses. 4/4 Archer vs 2/4 Sword = 3/4 Archer. Seville Cat fires on Hoplite - misses. Toledo Worker completes road and moves East to forest. All Western Workers on Iron Mtn. Arabics start roading.
Raise lux slider to 20%, as Hoplite will take out Ivory next turn. Slide Science to 60%.

IBT

Hoplite takes out Ivory and irrigation. Southern Hoplite moves up into Forest SE of Madrid. Southern Archer/Sword combo advance. A new Archer combo advances from Argos. Seville Hoplite moves North. Wounded Greek Archer in North moves toward Toledo.

Turn 94 - 670BC
202g (-6gpt)
Republic in 34

Seville Cat fires on Hoplite - misses. 4/4 Seville Archer vs 4/4 Hoplite = 3/4 Hoplite. Our Madrid Archer moves back into town and fortifies. 1st Madrid Cat fires on Forest Hoplite - misses. 2nd Cat misses. 3rd Cat takes 1HP. 4th Cat misses. Curragh moves into Barcelona and fortifies. All Workers roading Iron. Toledo Worker moves into Seville. No other Tribe has Currency. Save game.

IBT
Ivory Hoplite moves NE. Northern Archer fortifies. Seville Hoplite moves NE into Forest. Madrid Forest Hoplite retreats South. Southern Archer/word combo move North into Forest, followed by Archer combo.
Toledo produces Spear, starts Archer.

Turn 95 - 650BC
197g (-5gpt)
Republic in 35

Seville Cat bombards 3/4 Hoplite and takes 1HP. Madrid Cat fires on 4/4 Sword - misses. 2nd Cat misses. 3rd Cat takes 1HP. 4th Cat takes 1HP. Madrid 4/4 Archer redlines Sword and dies. Sword promotes to 2/5. 4/4 Archer dies against Sword. 3/4 Archer kills 2/5 Sword. Worker in Seville moves onto Dyes.

IBT
The Greeks request an audience ~ we listen. They want peace, but have nothing to offer us besides 8 gold. We say FORGET IT! Barcelona Hoplite destroys road and irrigation. Northern Archer moves toward Madrid. Archer combo joins Archer in Forest. Seville Hoplite leaves, goes to Herakleia.
Madrid produces/starts Archer.

Turn 96 - 630BC
194g (-4gpt)
Republic in 34

Workers complete road to Iron the same turn that Barcelona borders expand. We have Iron. Switching Barcelona to a Sword now is not a good idea, as a Sword would take too long to produce. We need a quick Archer at this point in time. The road to Madrid was cut at the Ivory by the Hoplite.
Madrid Cat takes 1HP form Archer. 2nd Cat takes 1HP from next Archer. 3rd Cat takes 1HP from fortified Archer. 4th Cat takes 1HP from 3/4 Archer. (All three Archers now has 2HPs. 4/4 Archer kills 2/3 Archer. 3/4 Archer kills 2/3 Archer and promotes to 2/5. Seville Worker starts to road Dyes. Barcelona Workers start to mine Iron. Barcelona changes from Barracks to Archer (in 2).

IBT
Wounded Archers in Forest retreat South. Northern Archer fortifies. Ivory Hoplite moves NW to tile East of Barcelona.

Turn 97 - 610BC
189g (-5gpt)
Republic in 33

Fortify units.

IBT
Barcelona Hoplite destroys road and irrigation. New Sword appears in East. Hoplite/Sword como advance North out of Argos.

Turn 98 - 590BC
184g (-6gpt)
Republic in 32

Madrid completes/starts Archer. Barcelona completes Archer, starts Sword. In Barcelona, 3/3 Archer vs 4/4 Hoplite = 2/4 Hoplite. Send 4/4 Archer from Madrid to Barcelona (stops at Ivory), will move him onto road and into Barcelona nextcouple of turns.

IBT
Barcelona Hoplite flees. East Northern Greek Archer moves SW towards Archer on Ivory. Hoplite/Sword combo move North towrds Forest. Eastern Sword moves West, followed by Archer.

Turn 99 - 570BC
178g (-6gpt)
Republic in 31
Turn 10

Archer on Ivory moves NW.
Saved game.

When we get the ivory roaded again, let's put a spear there to keep it from being pillaged. (This is why Barcelona was supposed to go on top of the ivory.) SoZ does no good if we don't have ivory.

Reconnecting Barcelona, so we have iron and ivory throughout our empire, needs to be a priority.

It is good to be moving again.

Good deal on peace with Mayans and connecting the iron.

Top Bottom