Why do only I lose due to tourism?

In my last screenshots I'm the largest civ (ranked #1 everywhere even though my tech is like 100 turns behind to what it should be) and 3 capitols with lots of filled wonders but still only 413 base-tourism with all those wonders and such. On Deity I would need 200% bonus on tourism to get that estimated 1200 mark. But a 125% bonus is probably the max you will ever get on deity.

I'm not sure how much the concert tours give but otherwise I still believe that it's near impossible without warfare or teching really hard to get early tourism. Perhaps theming (I don't know how to do that) could give another boost.

I need a youtube video or something perhaps where someone who is not leading in tech (just the average tech-score) wins a cultural victory without warfare (only defending) on Deity on Pangea.

Theming means all works in the building are the same era, except Louvre requires them all from different eras, then you get a bonus to tourism.

Another good tourism strategy if you go religion is to get Reformation from Piety and choose Sacred Sites. All buildings purchased with faith add 2 tourism.

The one thing they really need to rearrange are the Great Work of Art buildings. You can get Great Artists well before Museums, and the only other place to put a Great Work of Art is the Palace unless I'm missing an earlier wonder. There's Parthenon but that already comes with an Great Work of Art. Maybe I'll try again to figure out all the Great Work Buildings/Wonders. I wish that Works screen would show all the Wonders like it does the buildings, but just fade them or something if you don't have them.

And if you haven't devoted a huge amount of culture into your ideology, it might be an idea to give up, and become Order or Autocracy, just so you don't get such a large unhappiness penalty.

This is sometimes the easiest out.
I've had to do it before.
Besides if your going to war, you might as well take Autocracy anyway.

I'm about to push my tourism to 70. It's just that I probably have the most culture of everyone but I'm still the only one with penalties. Does your total amount of accumulated tourism counts or your culture/turn?

However, I did notice that I did get a 25% reduced pressure because I have a different ideology. So when I switch to autocracy I will get 25% more pressure from the 2 autocracy civs? When I switch I lose whatever I put in that ideology which is a whole lot.

I'd really love someone to write a short strategy guide/faq about culture/tourism and cultural victory. The official manual is a joke and I'm still not sure how to handle this victory type.
Going to war is not an option (yes I probably do something wrong here as well). I'm currently friendly with ALL civs and the moment I go to war with one they will all see me as a warmonger and I will lose my ~100GPT from trade... Thus I can't even sustain my army during wars, only during peace.

I want to conquer them using culture/tourism to make their cities revolt and join me.

UPDATE:
See attachment, 2-3 turns later I have 63 tourism and now I still have -18... The huge tourism increase changed NOTHING and I have about as much tourism as 2 enemy civs together. Something is not right!

You misunderstood. Ideology pressure is determined by your cumulative total, not your output. If other civs are exotic to you and you are unknown to them, for instance, they will emit pressure. If you are both exotic to each other, you see no penalties. Simply increasing your output won't have any immediate effect. You have to wait for your influence to increase by one level, and now that you are differing ideologies, that is much harder to do.

What happened is you neglected your culture throughout the game unt now, and are now paying the price. Culture takes time to build up, so this had to have been happening since the renaissance. Tech lead at any cost has its price--can't pick your ideology. Guess its time to switch.

Top Bottom