HOW TO: Create a Civilization

are there any definitions, or any info really, available about the values in CIV4LeaderHeadInfos.xml that concerns the AI decisions?

I think I figured out what my problem was (even after resizeing), THe DDS converter he recomends, wont save the alpha channel when I change it to black. I follow all of his directions to a t, and it just doesn't work. It saves the alpha channel when I use one of the button alphas he has on the first page, but not when I simply change it to all black. odd. Could some one explain this to me, or recomend another program that might work better?

Ok, I've followed the tutorial perfectly, but I can't load up my Civ. I get the following error when I try to load up my mod w/ my civ...

Here is my work so far in case it helps you figure out what the problem is...

Thanks in advance!

smellymummy said:
double check your xml files, starting with gametextinfos_orangeafros.xml on the first line
Well, yeah. But I wouldn't know what would be wrong and what is needed to be fixed...cause I'm a noob at XML.

well yeah ;) see the first error message, you can read 'error parsing XML file' basically that means it wasn't able to go through the XML file.

then it shows you what XML file it's complaining about: xml\text\gametextinfos_orangeafros.xml

and then it even shows you where! which really makes it easy to fix the file. where it says:

Line: 1, 1

that pretty much means the first line (the first one). I'm not sure what the second value (the second one) means though. lines aren't usually that long so the second doesn't seem to matter

then at the end of that first error message, it shows what it didn't like. what you need to do is open up that modded xml file, and an original game xml file of that type (text infos), compare the first line and make sure your copy is correct.

for the other error message, that's probably because of the first xml parsing messing up. fix the orange afros file and things should clear up

good luck:cool:

I have same problem as Presto... When I try load my "civ", it shows same error ( xml\text\gametextinfos_polska.xml ). Now I wonder, maybe Jecrell example file is corrupted ;) or maybe we can't run our "civ" after 2 Sections of Jecrell tutorial :mischief: ...

Anyone made workin mod after that 2 Sections?

BTW: Merry Christmas and Happy New Year... i nie pijcie za duzo :D

I remember some kind of errors at the start of my modding too.
I solved the problem by copying the full set of game XML's to a modding folder to play with.
Find them under 'Program Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization IV\Assets\XML\' I then deleted everything but the header details, pasted the stuff I wanted from Jecrell's file and saved it. I know it seems strange but that solved the problem and I have a working mod, check my sig. I will post my a copy of my gametextinfos for you to mod. Check it out below:

View attachment CIV4GameTextInfosAus.zip

My mod worked, but you really have to check those XML files, and make sure they are right.

Is it possible to have 2 new civs in one mod? If so, how do you set up the GameTextInfos file in the "Your Mod"\Assets\XML\Text folder?

yes, it is possible. CivAmrmy has made a few modpacks with several civs in them. I would asume that everything would be the same as it is with adding one new civ, only you put in two new entries.

Guys, about DXTBmp:

- When you double click the alpha channel, it brings up paintbrush with a white square. This is is your editable alpha channel. Make your changes, then Save the bmp from within paintbrush. YOU'RE NOT DONE YET.

- Now click on the third button from the left just under the Alpha Channel within DXTBmp. When you mouseover it, it should say "Refresh After Edit". Once the changes show up, save as a DXT3 texture.

NOW, you're done.

euro2000 said:
I have same problem as Presto... When I try load my "civ", it shows same error ( xml\text\gametextinfos_polska.xml ). Now I wonder, maybe Jecrell example file is corrupted ;) or maybe we can't run our "civ" after 2 Sections of Jecrell tutorial :mischief: ...

Ok Jecrell,the problem was in that original line of your document in my case. Your document states "<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>"
when in fact on my version of Civ 4 (the English version???) it needs to be
"<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?>".

There were also a few numerous errors in the actual file that i found, which caused me problems for a while. Could cause other noobs such problems. Would suggest revising a gametextinfos.xml file to prevent further confusion.

mrkingkong

Are there any known issues with creating "supercivs" i.e.: a civ with some ridiculous number of starting techs, a bunch of UU's, etc... I've read various opinions and stuff on this, but I've yet to see any really conclusive answers either way.

Is there a way to put a special unit to a leader ?

e.g: if I choose washington I will have unit X
But if I choose roosevelt I will have unit Y

Top Bottom