Screenshot Quality

Eddi

Chieftain
This might seem like a minor thing to some, but it really bothers me.

In your download/presentation thread you have screenshots of the game with the new leaders and stuff, but they are in JPEG format.

JPEG is a great picture format for everything "natural" (i.e. photos), but it is suboptimal for anything that has sharp lines in it, which is common for generated pictures in games, where it produces heavy artifacts and wrong colours. and it screws up horribly for anything that has texts in it, making them practically unreadable.

May i ask you if you could provide screenshots in PNG format instead? PNG is a lossless format, and much more suitable for constructed screenshots of any kind.

The forum limits the size of attachments, unfortunately, and lossless formats while gorgeous tend to overrun the attachment size limitations for full screen screenshots.

That's a fair point, but still there are better ways to compress screenshots than using JPEG.

the most useful would be simply reducing the colour depth. an 8-bit PNG is typically around the same size as a 32-bit JPEG, while looking several orders of magnitude better, and especially keeping the text readable.

Screenshots out of Col are in jpg format already. Not much I can do about that.

SHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!

Don't say that! I'll have to do it then and I got more important things to worry about than bloody screenshot quality!

In a quick grep over the code i could not find any reference to "screenshot", so i kinda fear that part might be in the non-open part of the code.

Top Bottom