Sim City (4) Succession Session!

Peck of Arabia

Sociable Recluse
Welcome to Fort Consternation!
"A City run by The Committee, for The Committee... of The Committee?"

There was one upside to the near-disastrous release of the latest Sim City- it encouraged me to find and and re-install Sim City 4 again. I started playing it, but then thought maybe it be more fun bring more people into the process, building a city by committee as it were.

The way I figure this works is:

-One person controls the city for 5 years, and has absolute control for that period; nothing is sacred.

-After their 5 years they save the city, compress it in Zip form and upload it here, along with a summary of what they've done. In what form and how long and detailed is at your discretion, but we're all pretty curious about what's being done.

-They then pass on the city to the next person who downloads it (to Documents/Sim City 4/Regions/Downloads) and imports into a region of their choice then can, again, do what they like

(completed cities can be uploaded to, and downloaded from here: https://www.mediafire.com/#myfiles The email address is: fort.consternation@gmail.com the password: civfanatics just add a link at the end of your post, or something.

This carries on ad infinitum until we decide to start again on another city having left the first an irradiated wasteland... or something

:nuke: :nuke: :nuke: :nuke: :nuke: :nuke: :nuke: :nuke: :nuke: :nuke: :nuke: :nuke:

Currently the rota stands as

Peck of Arabia
Mythmonster2
Calad
Thorgalaeg
Germanicus
Quintillus
*Your username here* ;)

On hold:
i_imperitor
SouthernKing
Dell19

If you want to join in, feel free! In order for it to be compatible you must have SC4 + the expansion pack, Rush hour, and have The Network Addon Mod at least up to version 30

Version 32 can be found here free of login, signup cost or anything

The story so far:

Chapter 1: "Peck of Arabia: Founding Father? ...Technically, I Guess"
Chapter 2: Quintillus's First Mayorship
Chapter 3: MoreEpicThanYou's first term
Chapter 4: Germanicus12's First Administration
Chapter 5: Thorgalaeg's erm, "beach crusade"?
Chapter 6: Peck hoards the cash! (At everyone's expense)
Chapter 7: Quintillus makes Fort Consternation into a shining (as well as large and successful) city on a hill
Chapter 8: MoreEpicThanYou ruins another picturesque hill with industry, and names it after himself... amongst other things
Chapter 9: Germanicus12 finds the people of Fort Consternation cheering, and leaves them weeping, apparently...
Chapter 10: Mayor Thorgalaeg- Mover of Mountains!
Chapter 11: Peck's Third Term: I can't help but make money!
Chapter 12: Mythmonster2's debut!
Chapter 13: Quintillus's Third Term: Big Transportation Projects
Chapter 14: MoreEpicThanYou builds over the farms... every last one
Chapter 15: Mayor Peck's Accidental Administration
Chapter 16: The Disaster of the Second Mythmonster Administration
Chapter 17: Quintillus Saves the City and Restores a Scenic Hill
Chapter 18 MoreEpicThanYou builds over the volcano... and everywhere else
Chapter 19 Mayor Peck presides over a Decline, of Sorts
Chapter 20: Mayor Quintillus declares "Who Says There's Nowhere Left to Expand?" Years 95 - 100
Chapter 21: Fort Concentration reaches 100 years!!!!! (i_imperator)
Chapter 22: Fort Concentration becomes a Superpower under calad! Years 105-110
Chapter 23: Quintillus, Fort Consternation Hits Half a Million! Years 110-115
Chapter 24: Mayor Peck Returns... Maybe he Shouldn't Have... Years 115-120
Chapter 25: Mythmonster surveys the wreckage Years 120-125
Chapter 26: Calad's second term, the Rise of the Dark President Years 125-130
Chapter 27: Mayor Thorgalaeg: Demolition Man Years 130-135
Chapter 28: Mayor Quintillus Brings Fort Consternation Back to Straight A Report Cards Years 135 - 140
Chapter 29: Mayor Mythmonster cleans up the cities skyline, finances, and that bothersome bit of plague going around Years 140-145
Chapter 30: Calad's monumental term Years 145-50

Fancy a change? There's also

New Eden
"At least it's not Fort Consternation"

Eden018_New_Eden.jpg

Situated to the south of Fort Consternation, Eden Prime is a city founded by those escaping the Urban Sprawl of the big city. It was written into the charter that it the place must retain the pleasing aesthetics of a small town, as such Auto-Roading by the AI was banned (it tends to create endless gridding).

This all went out the water with the arrival of the superhighway and the industrial conglomerates which have blighted the town, but the challenge is there for any mayor who wishes to attempt to restore the idyllic hopes.

Mythmonster's Founding of New Eden
Mayor Thorgalaeg makes some... ahem... changes
Mayor Peck milks heavy industry like it was a prize Frisian
Mayor Mythmonster replaces Old industry with new, and creates the nicest housing estate, possibly ever
New Eden's Population Doubles: The Age of Golf and Universities (Quintillus)

Also there's:

Spudsville

After years of being forced out of other cities by ongoing development, the Farming Community finally snapped as set off to found their own city

Ruled by a Farming Collective the city has a strict code of Mayoral conduct

- All industry must be agricultural
- Agricultural zones cannot be bulldozed to replace them with other zones.
- All residential and commercial zones must be low density
- Heavy industry buildings as part of city deals, such as the Toxic Waste Plant of Sim City 3000, are forbidden
- No highways may be built. Avenues are acceptable, as are all public transport options.

The Collective wants to keep a more country-like atmosphere, even if the surrounding areas built up.

Spudsvilles archives:

The Founding of Spudsville under Chairman-Farmer Quintillus
Chairman-Farmer Peck brings a Farmers Market to a Farmer's town
Chairman-Farmer Mythmonster has grand plans, but are lost on a rather too laid back town

And if that's not enough choice there's

Billionaire's Bay
"No Riff-Raff"

Sometimes having a luxury, beach front, flat in Fort Consternation, a country retreat in Spudsville and a second home in New Eden isn't enough. These places are good, but just don't have the exclusivity, so the cream of the crop appropriated the peninsular east of Fort Consternation into a "members only" kind of town

Rules:

1) No Riff-Raff
2) Nothing that might upset the esteemed residents

Calad founds Billionaire Bay

Here's one if you fancy a challenge

La Métropole

"Build first, pay for it later"

La_Metropole_040_Whole_City.jpg

This is quite an interesting one; you know how the game gently reminds you that slow steady expansion is the way to go? This city throws such caution to the wind! Built to rival Fort Consternation, La Métropole has a lot of catching up to do in a short period of time, so heavy debts and breakneck expansion are the way to go, in fact they're in the charter:

- Every year for the first ten years, one loan of the maximum amount had to be taken, and spent on improving the city, to jump-start its growth. Loans were not required after the first ten years.
- No landmark which is present in Fort Consternation may be present in La Métropole.
- The architecture is to be New York 1940 for at least the first 40 years.

The founding of La Métropole (Quintillus)

And there's more! We're really building a region here

Weird Islands.

In direct competition with Billionaire Bay for who can be the most paradisical though this one takes the archpelgo route, as opposed to a mere peninsular

Rules include the usual "no riff raff" and the unique "have as many islands as possible

Thorgalaeg founds a real beachy paradise
How it all works:

Just pipe up if you want to join and I'll add you to the list; when it is your go you can choose any combination of the above cities to play in five year bursts for each city. Simples!

Spoiler for the region:
Spoiler :

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd be down for it. I also suggest downloading the near-mandatory mods like the Network Add-On. I'm not sure what there all is so someone more knowledgeable can jump in.

I'd be down for it. I also suggest downloading the near-mandatory mods like the Network Add-On. I'm not sure what there all is so someone more knowledgeable can jump in.

If your going to use mods you need NAM and its components Real Highway Mod and Network Widening Mod. I also recommend the industry quadrupler, the radius doubler, the $$$ Weath/Hi-Tech job fix (Requires modding original files), and the census building.

If your going to use mods you need NAM and its components Real Highway Mod and Network Widening Mod. I also recommend the industry quadrupler, the radius doubler, the $$$ Weath/Hi-Tech job fix (Requires modding original files), and the census building.

Your post is one rhyme away from a Dr. Seuss book.

i have heard SC4 wont work in Windows 7 x64. True?

It runs well enough, there's a a launcher I found that fixes the resolution and I've heard mixed thing about it running on more than one core (some people have problems with it using multiple cores, and it works better making it only use one). I've had it CTD without warning a fee times though.

I will try. It would be weird anyway since SC3000 works fine.

Ideally we'd want to keep the number of mods to a minimum (I haven't got any, yet), partially so there's not too many hoops to jump through in order to join in the fun, and because mods are addictive (especially ones that fix Maxis Games) and next thing you know you are not sure how much of the original game you're actually playing...

What's the minimum we can get away with? NAM, radius doubler and industry quadrupler (maybe?) ?

Also, apart from occasional crashes to desktop (only a problem if you haven't saved in about 20 years), the game works fine for me on Windows 7 -pity there's no auto-save- THAT would be useful

EDIT: Hah! It just crashed me after I wrote that and tabbed back in

Ideally we'd want to keep the number of mods to a minimum (I haven't got any, yet), partially so there's not too many hoops to jump through in order to join in the fun, and because mods are addictive (especially ones that fix Maxis Games) and next thing you know you are not sure how much of the original game you're actually playing...

What's the minimum we can get away with? NAM, radius doubler and industry quadrupler (maybe?) ?

Also, apart from occasional crashes to desktop (only a problem if you haven't saved in about 20 years), the game works fine for me on Windows 7 -pity there's no auto-save- THAT would be useful

There's a mod that I have that yells at you to save 10 minutes after starting and anywhere from 10-60 minutes later depending on the option you pick after the first popup.

OK, would anyone be majorly inconvenienced if we limited mods to just NAM?

Also, I've got CivCube as being up for this (thanks :)) any other takers?

Things will begin in earnest tomorrow (or whenever I can get NAM), I'll get things started the first 5 years, if I may and we can see where we go from there. In the meantime- any ideas for a city name?

Ditto, madviking. I'm a big noobie at SimCity 4, but I'll surely be following this one :goodjob:

It runs well enough, there's a a launcher I found that fixes the resolution and I've heard mixed thing about it running on more than one core (some people have problems with it using multiple cores, and it works better making it only use one). I've had it CTD without warning a fee times though.

I get massive screen flickering with all cores enabled. It runs just fine on a single core, although it's a bit sluggish when panning and zooming.

I'd be down for this, but I'm completely and utterly clueless when it comes to mods. I can manage putting a city in a region, I think, but would appreciate directions when it comes to this mysterious NAM. (Also, can I play with this mysterious NAM for this and keep playing with the vanilla Deluxe Edition on my standard cities?)

Fair warning, I am pretty much a noob when it comes to SC4, I just started playing it on Tuesday the 5th after it being in my Steam library for a year or two. So no guarantees on how great of a mayor I will be. My latest city seems to like me, though!

City names - Fanatica? Lightningfall? Peckville?

EDIT: Hah! It just crashed me after I wrote that and tabbed back in
Mods are what make SC4 great, the more buildings and stuff, the better. What you do is make a modpack and distribute that.

Mods are very easy to install as well, all you do is plop it in your plugins folder, or run the installer if it has one.

subbed,

get this going.. I aint too good at SimCity.. might get to learn a few tricks and tips here ..

Top Bottom