Looking to Upgrade PC

Dark_Jedi06

"Deus ex Machina."
My computer is almost 4 years old now so I'd imagine that some of the working parts are getting a bit outdated. In addition, Civ V doesn't run as optimally as I would like to. I would like the opinion of those with some technical know-how on what I should replace to make my computer run games more smoothly, particularly Civ V with huge maps and decent to high level graphics. I'd also like to be able to play in DirectX 11 without the game freezing every ten turns from map scrolling.

Here is my dxdiag:

Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Intel Core 2 Quad CPU @2.40 GHz
NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS 2404MB
Memory 4096RAM

Thanks in advance!

In a perfect world you should upgrade everything, but in reality i would say keep the CPU, and replace the gpu and add 2gb more ram.

My computer is almost 4 years old now so I'd imagine that some of the working parts are getting a bit outdated. In addition, Civ V doesn't run as optimally as I would like to. I would like the opinion of those with some technical know-how on what I should replace to make my computer run games more smoothly, particularly Civ V with huge maps and decent to high level graphics. I'd also like to be able to play in DirectX 11 without the game freezing every ten turns from map scrolling.

Here is my dxdiag:

Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Intel Core 2 Quad CPU @2.40 GHz
NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS 2404MB
Memory 4096RAM

Thanks in advance!
If you want to play with DirectX 11 I recommend getting a DirectX 11 compatible card, your current one isn't

For games, more RAM is useless.

A C2Q 6600 should be good for 3GHz, try some gentle overclocking by just raising the FSB.

Biggest effect could be had by getting a better video card, the most effective for Civ5 should be nVidias 450/460/550/560, choose one most suited to your budget.

Check out your PSU specs and mainboard compatibility with modern video cards beforehand.

I will look into updating the graphics card within my price range, I had assumed that this would be the most important.

However, does late game slow-down plus lag on huge maps have more to do with the graphics card or the processor speed? Is there anything I can do to the current processor to give it a boost? Overclocking is way over my head.

Late game slow down is almost entirely CPU-bound.

There is no upgrade that would make sense financially in your case.

And basic overclocking is really not difficult, just consult your mainboard manual where in the BIOS the FSB setting is located.
Raise that in slow increments (say 1066-->1150-->1200-->1250-->1300-->1333 ...)
After each step run a stability test like IntelBurnTest
If you have reached the point of instability, take back the FSB by ~5%.

Late game slow down is almost entirely CPU-bound.

There is no upgrade that would make sense financially in your case.

And basic overclocking is really not difficult, just consult your mainboard manual where in the BIOS the FSB setting is located.
Raise that in slow increments (say 1066-->1150-->1200-->1250-->1300-->1333 ...)
After each step run a stability test like IntelBurnTest
If you have reached the point of instability, take back the FSB by ~5%.

Thanks for the simple overclock explanation (couldn't find something that clear through Google), I've followed what you've said and I do see an improvement. Nothing stellar but I hope that combined with a new graphics card things will be running smoother. :)

Top Bottom