Installing Mods on Civ5 for Mac

Which mod are you trying to install?

It sounds as if you have not extracted the mod. You have to extract it and create a folder containing multiple files.

Keka's default action with an unknown file is to compress it. It does not know that a .civ5mod file is a compressed (7z) archive unless you tell it so. There are a couple of ways to to this.

The best method is described in the first post - download and install my modified copy of the Keka preferences. This adds .civ5mod to Keka as a known compressed file type, so when you drop one of these files onto it, it extracts it.

If you are not happy with swapping preferences files, then I described an alternative method in post #263 earlier in this thread.

Yet another option is to change the .civ5mod file name extension to .7z, which Keka does recognise.

Hello! I seek for assistance. I cannot get my mods working (any). I am using a macbook, so I have switched the MODS button on in the main menu. But when I click it and enter the MODS menu - there aren't any mods displayed. I do unpack the mods right and put them to the right folder called MODS in the documents.Please help me, would be much appreciated.

Which version of Civ5 are you running? I assume it's Steam.

Have you bought the expansion packs?

Which mods have you tried?

Are you certain that you have unpacked them so that you have a folder that includes a .modinfo file for each one?

I am running the App Store version. I have certainly unpacked mods correctly. I got the expansion packs. I have tried "
Ingame editor" and "have_fun".

I'm surprised that you have managed to make the Mods menu option appear in the Campaign edition. It doesn't show up in mine. That's why I assumed you were using the Steam release. Is yours the latest version - 1.0.3.144?

It's my belief that Aspyr had to disable mods in the Campaign Edition in order to get approval for release in the App Store, since enabling mods would break rules about user scripting of sandboxed apps. Most people have found that the Mods button cannot be displayed in this release. If your copy somehow allows you to enable it, it may still still be set up to hide the actual mods.

Yes, my version is 1.0.3.144. Any ideas on how the mods could be fixed?

I think there may be a problem with civ looking for the mods. I will try to install a map just now, maybe this will help.

I just re-read your post. You said you have put the mods in a folder called Mods in your Documents folder? Did you create that Mods folder yourself? It sounds like the wrong place.

For the Campaign edition, the correct location is:

~/Library/Containers/com.aspyr.civ5campaign/Data/Library/Application Support/Civilization V Campaign Edition/MODS

("~/" means the Library folder in your Home folder - get to it in the Finder by pressing Alt and selecting the Go menu, Library option.)

If my hunch is correct, then the Campaign edition would be unable to load a mod. Mods should be a no-no for an App Store product, as would they allow user-generated scripts to run outside the OS X sandbox, and they enable sales and downloads of add-ons that to not go through the App Store.

Maps seem to be OK, as they don't involve scripts. They should go in:

~/Library/Containers/com.aspyr.civ5campaign/Data/Library/Application Support/Civilization V Campaign Edition/Maps

Nah, I did not create any folders at all myself. What Im going to do is I will try to recreate the path you have written above.

You should not create the path I specified. It should already exist. Are you sure you are looking in the correct Library folder? There are at least two, and the correct one is in your Home folder.

I fixed it! This might be helpful for some people. Its so weird. I have no idea why, but the copy of all the data for the game was there:
/Users/MYUSERNAME/Library/Application Support/Civilization V Campaign Edition
now, i think this is hyper weird, because these don't work if you remove a copy of a mod from a copy of the MODS folder. Anyways, thanks for help a lot.

Which version of OSX? Old ones (before Lion) didn't have the Containers subfolder.

I bought BNW about an hour ago, and I've been trying to get the mods button to appear. I tried changing my application's software (putting the two dashes by the line of code), but I think I have different code in the MainMenu.lua file, for some reason.

Heres a screenshot. The code should say 'Controls.ModsButton:SetHide( true ); -- MAC_PORT - rickb Comment this line out to re-enable mods. Happy modding!' But mine says 'Controls.ModsButton:RegisterCallback( Mouse.eLClick, ModsButtonClick );'
Note: I haven't put the two dashes in yet.

Am I missing something, and is there a new way to install mods on macs with BNW?

Thanks for your time.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-04-11 at 5.13.28 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-04-11 at 5.13.28 PM.png
    37.8 KB · Views: 172
You're looking too far down the script. The line you need to edit is where the Mods button is enabled/disabled - line 41 in my version. You are at line 72, where the button click is actually handled.

I started playing Civ5 after a break. I commented the line and got the Mods button to appear but none of the buttons do anything once I try to click them. Anyone experience anything similar?

Hi, welcome :wavey:

One possibility: Did you use TextEdit? There are references to this earlier in the thread. TextEdit turns two hyphens into an 'em dash', which causes the script to fail. Either use a different text editor, or copy/paste a double hyphen from elsewhere.

Top Bottom