Civilization won't open.

PlyPlay665

First King of Persia
I keep trying, restarting, moving the Mods, everything. It just will not turn on anymore. It started fine and everything before, but now when I click the "Run on DX 9" or "Run on DX 10/11" it won't open at all. You know how when steam updates, and when you shut down the game, and it gives "What's new" ad thing? That's is what popped up the last two times steam updated. Like I shut it down immediately or something.

Sure, my Specs are below "recommended" (Really just the graphics are the problem) but it ran completely fine without much lag at all before. (Except when playing on Huge, late game.) I don't know why it would stop the game from even starting anyway.

Does anyone else have this problem/know a solution?

Also, I think it's been about a week or so since it's worked. I think it might have been around the time Hotfix came out, but is that an actual game update?

Hi, I havent played civ 5 for a few months and have same issue.
It opened correctly when I played before.

I do not have an idea yet how to fix this problem...

Any ideas?

Yeah, I'm still not totally, sure, I had read that, but I wasn't sure if it was totally related to it or not. Sorry for the slow reply, I was lucky enough to get a 'new' computer from my grandpa which is better than my Laptop, so I am installing CiV right now, hopefully it will work. Will update you when it's installed. (Which is probably not going to be till tomorrow - slow internet.)

Never mind, the new computer ended up being 500x worse than my laptop. So basically I'm just screwed with horrible computers until I move out and can get my own computer. But yeah, Civilization won't open on that one either. I would try my parent's computer, but they don't let me touch theirs cause my games take up too much space lol.

Have you tried reloading the graphic card drivers, or checking for new ones? After I did that, my game is back to the normal "below specs" quirks. I also have to keep verifying the local files in steam, due to the fact that every time it crashes, either a few or a boatload of files keep getting corrupted.

I'm having the same exact problem. Civ5 used to work fine. I moved across country. Didn't play for maybe 2 months. Now wont even start. All I get to see if the option of either directx 9 or 10/11, I select one, then either an ad from steam, or nothing. It's usually nothing. I've tried the intro-movie fix, thinking that may have been the problem, but no luck. Checked to make sure everything was up to date and it is. I cannot think of a reason why a game would work one day and then stop working despite having the hardware to use the game and having all of the software up to date; drivers, patches and directx.

Any ideas?

Problem Resolved:

Originally Posted by AttilaTheHun View Post
I have a 2600K and Nvidia 570 SLI and I had the game running fine when the last patch came out. I even updated my mod. However, I just tried to run the game and I get the DX9/DX11 selection screen, but nothing happens after that with either selection.

Steam updated something when I ran it and I installed Win 7 x64 updates this morning. Everything else runs fine.

Edit: I ran the Steam Cache verification and now the game starts.

Good call. For those that are uninformed like me, right click the game (under library) from within Steam and go to properties. Go to Local Files and press the button.

Top Bottom