NASA: "There is life on Mars. Unequivocally."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ya, if we found life, would it be life that we brought with us, or life that was there before we came?

Originally posted by RealGoober
Ya, if we found life, would it be life that we brought with us, or life that was there before we came?

Maybe both?

Maybe our life has formed microbe wars between different bacteria and, right now, though we can't see it, bacteria deep below the surface of Mars are fighting each other in microscopic tanks?

...yeah, I need some sleep.

enviroment contaminated- mars biosphere destroyed. begin terraformation to eath like atmosphere, ans any natie martian life will have been wrecked like 10th-14th century europe and the plague

It would be nice to get hold of some pristine samples of Martian life before contamination, but contamination is inevitable.

Its not just desirable, its our duty. Know why? Because by seeding earthlife on Mars, Earth would be reproducing! That would mean that we're Earths sperm!:eek:

If we just poison Martian ecology and copy Earth to Mars, it's asexual.

If we exploit and doom the Martian ecology for our own reproduction, then we're comparable to a virus.

If Mars has ecology and we knit our own ecology to that, later exporting it, then humans would be playing a role very much like sperm.

I guess we haven't matured enough for the last option.

If Mars terrestrial microbes can survive long-term on Mars, they'll already be there, have hitched a ride on rocks thrown out by volcanic erruptions and/or asteroidal impacts.

Similarly, if there's indigenuous Martian life forms, some will have turned up on Earth. In that case, they clearly don't survive well here, since we don't seem to be seeing any.

Originally posted by Dumb pothead
Its not just desirable, its our duty. Know why? Because by seeding earthlife on Mars, Earth would be reproducing! That would mean that we're Earths sperm!:eek:

I just knew I woudl grow up to be a sailor (seaman) one day ;)

Actually, if the result is that when/if a futur probe finds life we will never be sure wether it's native or Earth life (possibly mutated), that's kind of sad.
BTW, I remember reading an interview with a biologist saying that if there is life on Mars it is bound to be far simpler and primitive than Earth bacterias, and that as a result should a suitable Earth bacteria be introduced on Mars it would likely wipe out the native species. A bit like some native Australian animals who had survived in the relatively sheltered pre-Colonisation Australia were unable to compete against the more efficient species introduced by the Europeans.

Its been theorized that life on Earth originated on Mars and was brought here by meteors blown off the planet in asteroid impacts. It may turn out that microbes we find on Mars are very similar to Earth life, not because of contamination from us, but because theyre cousins. I like the idea of Mars blooming with life again because the life it sent to Earth returned the favor a billion years later.

I wouldnt be surprised if there were life on mars.

Woa, Necro. No real input either. Impressive.

Welcome to CFC OT though.

I believe the only life on mars should be the thread necromancers that we've exiled to there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom