FfH2 0.31 Changelog

Seriously awesome work on the new features. Just a minor pity to lose all of the work on my previous game that was still under patch e (schoolwork is a nuisance. :(). But most certainly enough changes to be worth starting a new game (or 12)

Yeah, lions and wolves are still around (even gorillas and tigers), but they're much rarer than they used to be. I'm sure that eventually the team will get the code tweaked so that animals spawn in reasonable numbers without the higher latitudes drowning in bears.

Animals are spawned based on the terrain type. So if you start with the "End of Winter" game option don't expect to see much more than wovles and bears. I haven't used "End of Winter" much lately so I've seen plenty of tigers and gorillas (that and Ive been playing with the rainforests map script).

Well, I feel a fool now. I should have known that End of Winter was the culprit in my games. Still, animal spawning (even with wildlands turned on) still doesn't seem quite balanced. As I said, though, I'm sure you guys will clean that up when you've fried all your bigger fish. Thanks for the correction, Kael.

I R WINZ @ CIV!!!!1111 :drool:

I must admit that I have not seen a single Wolf Pack or Lion Pride(and thus no Lion Dens either) spawning since v0.22 myself. Maybe they were in v0.25 as well, but I just don't recall seing them at all in any of the BTS incarnations.

EDIT: I just took a look at the XML and neither of the 2 have any Terrain/Feature Natives set - so that would explain them not appearing. Just copy the Native setting for regular Wolves/Lions to Packs/Prides if you want them.

Hmm, where did this changelog go? I can't find a thread that included all the changes to the G patch.

I must admit that I have not seen a single Wolf Pack or Lion Pride(and thus no Lion Dens either) spawning since v0.22 myself. Maybe they were in v0.25 as well, but I just don't recall seing them at all in any of the BTS incarnations.

EDIT: I just took a look at the XML and neither of the 2 have any Terrain/Feature Natives set - so that would explain them not appearing. Just copy the Native setting for regular Wolves/Lions to Packs/Prides if you want them.

I saw a bear den in one and only one game. That was the only animal generating terrain feature that I have seen in abuot 20-30 games of FfH 0.30x.

In regards to balanced animal ganerations, I generally get a lot of elephants. I do see every type of animal, but gorillas and tigers seem to be the rarest (even where there are a lot of jungle tiles). Elephants seem completely worthless to me. I always click the disband unit button when I capture one.

I saw a bear den in one and only one game. That was the only animal generating terrain feature that I have seen in abuot 20-30 games of FfH 0.30x.

In regards to balanced animal ganerations, I generally get a lot of elephants. I do see every type of animal, but gorillas and tigers seem to be the rarest (even where there are a lot of jungle tiles). Elephants seem completely worthless to me. I always click the disband unit button when I capture one.

Second that. Yet nobody wants to talk about the lack of animals as a balance issue.

I see Bears, Giant Spiders and Elephants and they make up probably 90% of the spread.

Bears I would say are currently working quite well, but I would say the spider breeding feature is now defunct as it is too low % spawn chance, and even lower % survival chance for the baby spider.

Gorillas and tigers are too rare, lions and wolfs dont survive long enough cause they are too weak (would last longer if they still had the chance to upgrade to lion pride / wolf pack).

The elephants are not more common, they just survive the longest due to high strength, but dont have much use other than static defender once captured. I'd like to see them upgrade to War Elephants late game, or have their own unique building as per each other animal (could provide happiness or an ivory resource).

The elephants are not more common, they just survive the longest due to high strength, but dont have much use other than static defender once captured. I'd like to see them upgrade to War Elephants late game, or have their own unique building as per each other animal (could provide happiness or an ivory resource).
Of course Elephants can already be upgraded to War Elephants - once you get the tech.

Problem is that you still need an Ivory resource to do it. What I'd like to see is an ability for the Elephants that allows them to build a Spider Pen equilivant for Ivory in cities (or terrain like in AoI?).

EDIT: ... or perhaps have Elephants upgrade to War Elephants without access to Ivory at all?

Of course Elephants can already be upgraded to War Elephants - once you get the tech.
EDIT: ... or perhaps have Elephants upgrade to War Elephants without access to Ivory at all?
What do you need an ivory resource for if you already have the elephant?!Makes more sense but dont know if thats easily code-able.

Problem is that you still need an Ivory resource to do it. What I'd like to see is an ability for the Elephants that allows them to build a Spider Pen equilivant for Ivory in cities (or terrain like in AoI?).
Actually did not know that was possible! Probably never had the ivory / effort to keep the elephant that long in game, and without seeing it in the pedia not bothered to try.

Either way the elephant has the highest strength and is still the only animal without a corresponding bonus building/function prior to the end game.

You could make it so that elephants don't upgrade the normal way but through a spell. Thats an easy change.

I plan to add some spell to elephants, but I'm not sure whether I want to make it an upgrade, or create a building.

You could make it so that elephants don't upgrade the normal way but through a spell. Thats an easy change.

I plan to add some spell to elephants, but I'm not sure whether I want to make it an upgrade, or create a building.

If Elephants cant upgrade to War Elephants until late game it would be nice to see an intermediary unit, e.g. can upgrade to Elephant Archer with Bowyers.

Im thinking it could be a Mounted Unit comparable to a Horse Archer (str 6, mov 3, 1 first strike, immune to first strikes, no defensive bonuses, 35% withdraw), slower but stronger ...

Elephant Archer (not buildable, upgrades from Elephant with Bowyers tech, upgrades to War Elephant with Domesticate Elephants)
str 8,
move 2
1 first strike
no defensive bonuses
+25% vs mounted units

After that ....
I think making it a building is a safer option, requires no graphics, and goes with the theme though.

Honestly I don't understand why Domesticate Elephants is such a late game tech. Needing Domesticate Elephants to train War Tortoises is also odd.

I think I'll remove the tech altogether in my modmod, and find some other place to put War Elephants and Large Animal Stables.

Kael, is there going to be another patch within a week or two? I want to know if I should begin version 2 of my modmod now or focus on doing homework that isn't due for another two weeks so I'll have more time to mod then.

Honestly I don't understand why Domesticate Elephants is such a late game tech. Needing Domesticate Elephants to train War Tortoises is also odd.

I think I'll remove the tech altogether in my modmod, and find some other place to put War Elephants and Large Animal Stables.

Kael, is there going to be another patch within a week or two? I want to know if I should begin version 2 of my modmod now or focus on doing homework that isn't due for another two weeks so I'll have more time to mod then.

I not planning to release another patch anytime soon unless something major crops up.

Why not to use the same mechanic as in Age of Ice and simply allow to settle down the elephant as an Ivory resource ? Then you have ivory

Why not to use the same mechanic as in Age of Ice and simply allow to settle down the elephant as an Ivory resource ? Then you have ivory

No need for cottages if I can just make all my captured elephants squat to form an Ivory resource. The spamming of elephants is out of perportion. I disagree with the earlier post about the elephants being strong enough to survive. If that were the case, the elephants would have exp. I am just seeing a lot of elephants spawn, and almost none of the useful animals.

Elephants seem a bit out of place in a fantasy mod anyway. Having the elephant/ivory resource is okay. Having wild elephants roaming around is a bit off. I have read a lot of fantasy literature about wolves, lions, bears, etc. I can't think of one fantasy book about domesticating wild elephants.

I especially dislike how Elephants are passive and don't attack. The fact that they have no use in a city is also disappointing. I generally just disband them when I capture them.

I do like the new quest where the hunter brings animals to your city. This makes the Carnivals more useful in a way that the wild animals have not been able to.

Elephants seem a bit out of place in a fantasy mod anyway. Having the elephant/ivory resource is okay. Having wild elephants roaming around is a bit off. I have read a lot of fantasy literature about wolves, lions, bears, etc. I can't think of one fantasy book about domesticating wild elephants.
Oliphantes in LoTR !!!
there are some others :) Belisarius (weber and drake)
Most usual fantasy don't take place in india or in africa so you won't have elephants.. but FfH takes the whole geography, all the climates to play with... so you may have elephants...

Top Bottom