Official Civilization V Steamworks FAQ

I have been unable to access BNW CIV5 since the 10/27 update on my Windows 8 PC.
Each time I try to access the game, a receive a message from STEAM Stating:

I have re-started the PC, I even disabled McAfee real time scanning, scheduled scanning, and firewall. Nothing changes.

Oddly, on my Windows 7 Laptop with AVG, I can access it ok.

Has anybody else had this problem or is familiar with it?
If so, do you know how to resolve?

If not, is there anyway or place I can go to get some service?
STEAM has no live technical support, I've posted this on numerous message boards, and this is not the first time I've had STEAM cause unresolved issues.
I find the whole customer service model very frustrating, as the burden is on the user it appears to be the IT Tech.

I'm no expert on troubleshooting Steam problems but some ideas that come to mind that you should try are

1. Restart Steam (this sometimes fixes simple things)
2. Change download server (Settings -> Downloads -> Change Download Region
3. Verify Cache Integrity (right click the game in the library -> Properties -> Local Files -> Verify Integrity of Game Cache)
4. Delete client registry blob (see my post 6 posts ago)

I'm no expert on troubleshooting Steam problems but some ideas that come to mind that you should try are

1. Restart Steam (this sometimes fixes simple things)
2. Change download server (Settings -> Downloads -> Change Download Region
3. Verify Cache Integrity (right click the game in the library -> Properties -> Local Files -> Verify Integrity of Game Cache)
4. Delete client registry blob (see my post 6 posts ago)

Step 1 and 2 were done.

I tried step 3..

basically for over a half hour it has been saying it is in the process of validating but 0% done.

Should I just uninstall then re-install CIV5 and/or STEAM?
What on earth is the issue?

Assuming you've retried step 3 a few times, perhaps at different times of day in case it was a temporary server problem or a problem on your connection, then I'd try re-installing the game. Preferably make a backup first and then restore the backup.
You can use Steam's built-in backup feature or just copy paste the game's folder to a safe location, delete local content in the library, then return the folder and re-install.

Having validation stuck at 0% sounds like a general Steam problem, not specific to Civ5 so googling that problem should hopefully turn up some suggestions.

Assuming you've retried step 3 a few times, perhaps at different times of day in case it was a temporary server problem or a problem on your connection, then I'd try re-installing the game. Preferably make a backup first and then restore the backup.
You can use Steam's built-in backup feature or just copy paste the game's folder to a safe location, delete local content in the library, then return the folder and re-install.

Having validation stuck at 0% sounds like a general Steam problem, not specific to Civ5 so googling that problem should hopefully turn up some suggestions.

I have this on another PC and it works fine; so I guess I can just re-install without backing up.

AHAHAHAHA...I got it!

OK, so I uninstalled CIV5, tried to re-install, would not work.
I uninstalled STEAM and tried to re-install, would not work.

I then, took a break, downloaded google earth for desktop and guess what...that too WOULD NOT connect to the internet.
So THEY unlike STEAM had clear directions, one of which was PROXY SETTINGS!

I went to
a) Under "Tools" in the browser tool bar select "Internet Options".

b) In the "Internet Options" Window that pops up, click the "Connections" tab at the top.

c) Click "LAN Settings" near the bottom of the "Connections" section.

d) If the "Proxy server" checkbox is marked with a check, click it to deselect/uncheck it.

It now works!
Amazing...so it was as I figured a WINDOWS problem.
Once again I am reminded of why I will never ever buy a Windows OS product.

This whole thing COULD have been solved quicker if STEAM actually had a live person I could talk to....

Moral?

1) Windows sucks
2) STEAM sucks

So steam would not connect to servers for awhile now. That was not a big deal for since I do not play online. Now, not only will steam not connect, Civ V has disappeared from my desktop and none of my steam game work. I have tried to contact customer service for help, but they refuse to respond to any of my inquiries. Because of this, I have decided to start a petition to demand the problems be fixed (I have followed all of the instructions from the steam trouble shooting page and online fixes as well) or give a refund for all games purchased. I have spent hundreds and now those games are inaccessible and useless. If you are having a similar issue, please sign the petition.
http://www.thepetitionsite.com/751/...ix-problems-or-provide-customer-refunds/#sign

rammstein23, maybe some of us can help get your problem fixed. I don't think a petition is going to achieve much to be honest.

You will need to provide a bit clearer explanation of what the problem is. When you say Civ 5 has disappeared from your desktop, that could just mean you've deleted the shortcut by mistake. Is it still in your Steam library? Is it still installed?

What do you mean that none of your Steam games work? Is it because you have Steam in offline mode and it needs to reconnect before anything can be launched? Steam's offline mode is notorious for not always working the way you'd expect. For example if it's not exited correctly (for example when turning off your computer) its credentials may not be saved correctly and you would need to go into online mode again before you can launch anything.

Top Bottom